Re: Tea and Skate - Dec 19/20 or Jan 16/17

  • fauxrari
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
      I would love to go skating, but I'm wondering how cold it is? I have fibromyalgia and I'm quite affected by the cold. I'm sure my fiance would like to go, being a (tame) hockey player and all. ; ) Either date is fine with me! What sort of dress is recommended? Any specific period?
      Thanks,
      Lisa Klassen

      --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@...> wrote:

      > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
      >
      > The benefits to this new venue are many:
      > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
      > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
      > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
      > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
      >
      > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
      >
      > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
      >
      > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
      >
      > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@... or phone at 310.908.4332

    • karen_lavoie
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
        Just to remind everyone, now that the Jane Austen Ball and Tea has gone up on the boards, that January 17th, one of the proposed Tea and Skate dates is also one of the practice days which are traditionally scheduled the two Sundays before the Ball. I don't know how many people this affects, but I know it affects at least a small number of we stalwarts who would normally attend both if scheduled on different days. And as Austen Ball committee members we are committed to the practices, so the 17th is out for Bill and me. So sorry--but we still like the pre-Christmas days. . .

        > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
        > >
        > > The benefits to this new venue are many:
        > > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
        > > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
        > > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
        > > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
        > >
        > > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
        > >
        > > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
        > >
        > > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
        > >
        > > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@ or phone at 310.908.4332

      • ObiShawn
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
          Lisa:

          The approximate temperatures at both skating venues for the dates in question are:
          Dec: 69 degrees
          Jan: 67 degrees

          I notice it gets cold sooner in downtown; once the sun drops behind the buildings, it gets dark quickly and starts to get chilly. It takes longer to cool down at the beach, but the same thing applies once the sun drops below the ocean.

          Dress for the event is Dickens-era preferred, but any costume is welcome. Even Hockey togs. :D