Re: [CGWcostumers] Tea and Skate - Dec 19/20 or Jan 16/17

  • Jody Regan
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
      Shawn,

      Since I've been to the Biltmore now, a change of venue sounds good to me.  The last party was a huge success.  I'm sure the next one will be, too.  I'll come if I'm free on the date it is scheduled.

      Thanks for coordinating this excellent event. And may the Force be with you.

      Jody Regan, San Diego

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2009
        Hi Shawn and all--

        Needless to say, because we live in Redondo Beach, I would love for the ice skating party to be at Redondo's Seaside Lagoon. Waiving of the admission fee? Hey, that works! However, I would also participate if there is a fee. I would probably also participate in the meal, preferably after when refreshing is needed. Either day works for me--can't say for Bill as he sometimes has Shriner or Sierra Club stuff come up. Had planned to go this year wherever if I can get an ensemble done--Second choice for me is the January date. . .we could probably get the Daily Breeze there if we do it in December, and then plant a plug for CGW/CoCo. . .Hmmm
        Karen

      • Val
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2009
          I wasn't able to come to the last event, even tho I dearly wanted to, and have always wanted to go to the Biltmore for tea.
          However we have too many family events going on for the Dec 19/20 date. January would be better for me.
          I don't skate, so my main interest is the tea, but will hang out and look pretty at the skating rink.
          Val
        • Diane M. Yoshitomi
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2009
                I'm strongly in favor of a different venue for our next Tea & Skate, and not only because Redondo Beach is closer to home for me.
                Everyone who attended T&S1 counted it a great success, and expressed approval of a repeat performance the following year.  But even with the prospect of new & more faces appearing at T&S2, I think we would do better to give it a fresh approach rather than attempt a carbon copy.
                Shawn, your projections for putting us center stage at this public venue make the prospect of attending even more enticing.  I thought we got lost in the mob at Pershing Square, but it sounds like we'd be a prime attraction at RB -- particularly if there is advance publicity.  'Course that puts an extra onus on us to produce MANY costumed skaters/spectators.
                Count me in for whatever date is chosen (provided it doesn't interfere with a Saturday-night vintage ball).  Though I prefer January, I can understand why management wants us in December; however, it could be tough to snag large numbers of costumers in the busiest event & party season of the year.  Perhaps we can sell it to our members as not only T&S-2, but the CGW Christmas party?  And the sooner a date is established, the better.
            Diane, The Yosh
          • eluceoo
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2009
              I think either venue would be nice. Skating outdoors is just a change of pace.

              However, I am over committed with events for the later half of December and would not be able to attend then. January works much better for me.

              Margaret

              --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@...> wrote:

              > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
              >
              > The benefits to this new venue are many:
              > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
              > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
              > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
              > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
              >
              > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
              >
              > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
              >
              > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
              >
              > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@... or phone at 310.908.4332

            • Jackie
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2009
                I would love to attend, and agree with Margaret about the tight squeeze in my December schedule.

                Jackie Thomas

                I think either venue would be nice. Skating outdoors is just a change of pace.

                However, I am over committed with events for the later half of December and would not be able to attend then. January works much better for me.

                Margaret

                --- In CGWcostumers@ yahoogroups. com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@.. .> wrote:

                > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
                >
                > The benefits to this new venue are many:
                > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
                > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
                > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
                > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
                >
                > A discounted/sponsore d pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
                >
                > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
                >
                > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice. com/
                >
                > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@... or phone at 310.908.4332

              • ginakimmel
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2009
                  I was not at last years event, but I do think having a venue that would cater specifically to our group is always better. I also like the December date, a skating party is such a wonderful Christmasy thing to do. What a great Christmas party. Myself and my family would attend.

                  --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@...> wrote:

                  > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
                  >
                  > The benefits to this new venue are many:
                  > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
                  > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
                  > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
                  > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
                  >
                  > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
                  >
                  > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
                  >
                  > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
                  >
                  > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@... or phone at 310.908.4332

                • fauxrari
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                    I would love to go skating, but I'm wondering how cold it is? I have fibromyalgia and I'm quite affected by the cold. I'm sure my fiance would like to go, being a (tame) hockey player and all. ; ) Either date is fine with me! What sort of dress is recommended? Any specific period?
                    Thanks,
                    Lisa Klassen

                    --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@...> wrote:

                    > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
                    >
                    > The benefits to this new venue are many:
                    > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
                    > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
                    > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
                    > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
                    >
                    > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
                    >
                    > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
                    >
                    > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
                    >
                    > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@... or phone at 310.908.4332

                  • karen_lavoie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Just to remind everyone, now that the Jane Austen Ball and Tea has gone up on the boards, that January 17th, one of the proposed Tea and Skate dates is also one of the practice days which are traditionally scheduled the two Sundays before the Ball. I don't know how many people this affects, but I know it affects at least a small number of we stalwarts who would normally attend both if scheduled on different days. And as Austen Ball committee members we are committed to the practices, so the 17th is out for Bill and me. So sorry--but we still like the pre-Christmas days. . .

                      > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "ObiShawn" <obishawn@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > For those that have been asking, we are indeed planning for a re-occurrence of the "Tea and Skate" event. In addition to a simple repeat at the Biltmore/Pershing Square locale of last year, I am scouting another outdoor rink location at the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach.
                      > >
                      > > The benefits to this new venue are many:
                      > > *the event will be planned specifically with CGW in mind,
                      > > *preferential use of rental gear and the rink,
                      > > *waiving of admission to the ice rink
                      > > *promotion for the Guild within the community via newspaper and media coverage.
                      > >
                      > > A discounted/sponsored pre-or-post skate tea or meal at one of the nearby beachfront hotels such as the nearby Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotel is being evaluated.
                      > >
                      > > While the preferential date for us is January 17th, the rink management is more interested in a pre-Christmas date (December 19th or 20th) to coincide with their Winterfest Weekend event.
                      > >
                      > > Here is the site for your perusal: http://seasideice.com/
                      > >
                      > > How do you feel about such a venue change - would you be more or less likely to attend? Drop me a line with questions or for more info either by posting here, or by email at obishawn@ or phone at 310.908.4332

                    • ObiShawn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Lisa:

                        The approximate temperatures at both skating venues for the dates in question are:
                        Dec: 69 degrees
                        Jan: 67 degrees

                        I notice it gets cold sooner in downtown; once the sun drops behind the buildings, it gets dark quickly and starts to get chilly. It takes longer to cool down at the beach, but the same thing applies once the sun drops below the ocean.

                        Dress for the event is Dickens-era preferred, but any costume is welcome. Even Hockey togs. :D