Introduction

  • colleency
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      That's a great idea, Heather!

      My name is Colleen Crosby. I'm the current Vice President of CGW,
      and I'm in charge of event coordination for CGW.

      Friends have been bugging me to go to Costume College ever since it
      started, but I didn't make it until about three years ago when I won
      a membership to Costume College and a CGW membership from the LA
      County Fair for a Cancan costume.

      I've sloooowly taught myself to sew since I was about 20, starting
      with Halloween costumes, moving through Ren Faire and science
      fiction conventions, and now I do historical as well.

      Due to my husband's passion for Star Wars, I've made several Jedi
      costumes. I like the sort of kamikaze costuming that you find in SF.
      I'm partial to historical costumes from 1850-1950, but I seem to
      keep returning to 1930's recently.

      With my stint as Vice President, I'm hoping to get some really great
      events going like the ones that we see some of our sister guild
      doing: costumed strolls, picnics, and (outside of costume college)
      workshops. If you have any ideas or would like to run an event,
      please let me know!

      ~Colleen
    • Janice Dallas
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
        We're Janice and Ron Dallas, East Coast members of CGW (Boston, MA). We
        found out about Costume College at a Costume Con in Baltimore and just
        had to attend in 1997. Through that event, we became members of CGW.
        There wasn't a viable Chapter in our area at the time, so we had joined
        the NY/NJ "Sick Pups" instead. We felt that we fitted right in to the
        CGW group.

        Basically, we costume, do sets, etc. for theater productions and for the
        Arisia Convention held in Boston every January. Both of us are in our
        60's with grown sons. My sons learned how to help with costumes from an
        early age, since I was always involved with costume design and
        construction (as well as performing) for some group or the other during
        the year. When my body started to act up, Ron got more involved in
        sewing costumes for me. At present, we mainly work with a Gilbert &
        Sullivan operetta group on their big annual production.

        I started costuming at a young age, making costumes for my cousins and
        brothers. Whenever our families got together, I'd write up a skit that
        we'd perform for them. My dolls also got their own costumes from me.

        Ron's a Senior Engineer for Teradyne, Inc., and Treasurer for the New
        England Institute for Theatre Technology. I'm a volunteer on staff for
        the Sudbury Savoyards, the New England Gilbert & Sullivan Society, and a
        member of Arlington, MA's Commission on Disability.
        --
        Janice Dallas
        Boston,MA area, USA