Huntington Library Outing on Thursday, July 31

  • bobbie88820022002
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2014

      Since I live in Seattle, Washington, attending Costume College is a major trip to southern California, so I like to add on other activities before and after Costume College.

      One of the other activities I often do is visit a museum.  In various years before or after Costume College, I have gone to Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA); Norton Simon Museum; The Getty Center in Los Angeles of the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles and The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens.  While at The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens the day after Costume College in 2013, I thought that it would be fun if a group of Costume College attendees visited that locale in historic costume.

      So I am planning an outing at The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens in San Marino on Thursday, July 31. http://www.huntington.org/  We can carpool from Warner Center Marriott Hotel in Woodland Hills or folks can find their own transportation.  This is NOT an official Costume College activity, but just something that Costume College attendees (and possibly others) may choose to enjoy.  Participants would be responsible for their own transportation, cost of entry and any food or beverages they choose to enjoy at the Rose Garden Tea Room or the Café.  If 15 or more attend, we can get a cheaper, group rate of admission, but I doubt that we will be that many.  Food and picnicking is not permitted on the grounds.  However, there is a small area adjacent to the parking lot where we may eat food we have brought before we enter, but that doesn't sound like much fun in costume.

      There is art at The Huntington from the 18th- and 19th- and 20th centuries.  Also, the library at The Huntington has works from the medieval period on, so historic costume from medieval Europe to the present would be appropriate.

      If you have never been to The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, you are in for a real treat!  This is a wonderful cultural institution!

      If you are interested in joining us, please contact me at bkalben@...

      Bobbie Kalben

      bkalben@...

    • thimble98
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
        This sounds like fun what time are you going?
      • kfreasstudio
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2014
          will you please send me the original posting? I have not received it thank you

        • Heather Pritchett
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2014
            We just took my father in law to the Huntington the other day. It's a wonderful place to visit. I would encourage anyone out here early for Costume College to join Bobbie's trip! They have several famous paintings on displays in their galleries, including Blue Boy and Pinkie. I've had several "Oooooh. I want to make that" moments while browsing their European Art galleries!

            Heather

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014
              This outing to The Huntington is in the planning stages, so we can leave whenever we want.  Please send me an email to bkalben@... and we can plan the details!

              So far, four people have expressed interest in this outing.  Anyone who is interested, please send me an email and let's make this work!

              Bobbie
              bkalben@...
            • Beverly Azizi
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014

                Are you all going in costumes?

                Beverly

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24, 2014
                  Going in historic costume would be fun, so I suggest it be historic costume optional.  If you are interested and have other suggestions, let me know!

                  Bobbie Kalben
                  bkalben@...