Limited Class Questions

  • fauxrari
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2014
      Hello CoCo planners,

      While I have taught many unlimited classes at CoCo, I've never taught a limited class. I'm not entirely sure how to figure out how many people I can have in the class. I would like to teach this class in one of the smaller rooms with one person per small table. I will also need each person to have access to a power outlet/strip (moving tables would be okay). Is this feasible? Also, when you teach a limited class how does the payment work? Right now I'm working on figuring out the cost of the class and the supply list (what I provide versus what students need to bring). I was planning on teaching a class based on the article I wrote in Squeals and the portion of my Pirates of the Caribbean class I taught last year about making dreadlocks with synthetic hair as the article, class and my hair piece got a lot of good attention. If anyone has any tips for planning this type of a class, please let me know.

      Thanks!

      Lisa Klassen-Barnes
    • Heather Pritchett
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2014
        Lisa,

        I find it's easiest if you think about past limited classes you've taken. Most of the rooms are roughly the same size. For intimate classes, 8-12 is usually a good number. But table space is almost secondary to the complexity of the material and how much one-on-one teacher time is needed. If this class is going to require you to closely demonstrate and heavily assist, you might want to drop down to 6-8 people.

        Power strips and outlets are easy. You can request as many as needed and we can make sure the entire room is wired (think about how we set up classes for sewing machine usage!) Lets say you want 8 students, then ask for 8 power strips and 8 extension cords.

        As far as cost goes, your final class fee should be equivalent to the "Teacher Provides" section of the form. You can break it down per student if you're buying in bulk, but I recommend not planning for that if the class doesn't fill up.

        Here's an example. Lets say your class needs a $10 pattern. But, if you buy them in bulk, you can get them for $8. What do you charge? You need to charge $10, because we can't guarantee your head count until July. You should also not buy the (non-refundable) supplies until then either. If your class fills up and you can get them cheaper, great! You can always refund excess money! But if you only get 5 students, we don't want you to have lost money because of the extra patterns. Does that sense?

        Second example, lets say you need buckram for the hats and you've got a contact for a great deal on buckram for $1/sheet. You can buy them now, but if your class doesn't fill up, you're stuck with the extra. But, in this case, you love buckram and would totally use if for your own projects. So you buy lots of it and provide it to the students at cost. You would do the same thing if you were pulling from your own personal supplies.

        Sometimes, having a break down can help as well. Here's a a totally made-up example:

        Pattern: $10 (buy when you have final headcount)
        1 sheet Buckram: $1 (from personal stash)
        1 yard Fabric: $3 (from personal stash)
        Feather: $0.75 (from personal stash)
        Emblem: $5.32 (includes shipping from dealer. buy when you have final headcount)
        Handout: $0.70 (7 pages @ 10cents a page).

        Add it up and round UP (because we don't like dealing with spare change). You have a per student fee of $21.

        Your Teacher Provides might read something like this: Hat Kit, which includes pattern, buckram, fabric, choice of feather, pirate emblem and handout.

        You can email me at cocoteachers@... and we can discuss in more detail if you want.

        The number one thing I recommend to people teaching a limited class is to develop (and test) your lesson plan. Write down all the instructions (handout!) and run through them once with a friend. Make sure they're clear, correct and (really important!) do-able in the amount of time you requested for the class! If you can walk one friend through the process in 45 minutes, you're still going to need more time for an actual class with 8 or more people. You might even consider having your friend be a co-teacher so he/she can assist, especially if you have a lot of students!

        Heather

        (who can also be reached at cocoteachers@...!)

        On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:13 PM, "fauxrari@..." <fauxrari@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Maryann Jones

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2014
                  Great solution!  I'm not planning to teach this year but want to put a few proposals together for 2015, and this will really help.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 29, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Heather Pritchett <casket_girl@...> wrote:

                  Thanks!

[...]

                • Barbara Troeller

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2 6:44 PM
                      Thanks ladies! Heather, that was great info and I completely agree that it should go up on the website. And the examples were amazing. They answered my questions completely. I submitted my limited class proposal yesterday. I hope it goes over well!Thanks,Lisa