Sister organizations

  • cinnamonhrts
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
      Can anyone explain what a sister organization is so I can in turn explain it to a group I'm going to?

      Private email is ok.
      Val
    • Sandra Durbin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013

        Sister organisations share a common idea and goals.   San Diego Creative Stitchery Guild used to be connected to the the San Diego Wearable Arts Guild, when they still existed.  We both made quality one of a kind items, and we shared the costs of fiber artists visits, and fashion shows.  And you could be members of both at a discounted dues rate.   We supported each other.    Hope this explanation helps

      • Natalie Meyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
          Val:  A sister organization is one that the CGW board has agreed that we have enough in common with to be able to form a reciprocal relationship with to share information and provide each other with discounts to events that are to everyone's advantage.  It requires that we be able to share member lists to verify eligibility for discounts.  Aside from the possible event discount there are no financial connections between us and sister organizations.  We do not become "chapters" or each others organizations.

          In the past, we have declined offering "sister" status to organizations because we felt that the advantage would all be on the side of the organization applying (discounts to Costume College most notably) and the CGW members would not benefit from anything in return.

          Colleen will probably be able to provide you with a much better explanation, but this will get you started.

          Natalie

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
            On 9/22/2013 9:51 AM, cinnamonhrts@... wrote:
            > Can anyone explain what a sister organization is so I can in turn explain it to
            > a group I'm going to?

            [spraying this at the entire list]

            A sister organization usually allows members of the first group some of the
            benefits given their own membership For example, the GBACG allows members
            of the sister groups (including CGW) to get GBACG-member prices and
            members-only presale for GBACG events.

            z!
          • Colleen Crosby
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2013
              Hi Val,
              The definitions that you have received so far are correct. We also exchange newsletters, if any, with our sister groups.

              Thanks,
              Colleen
            • rita@situseattle.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2014

                  yes, Rita, this was for your CoCo panel I went to last September.

                  Val