Re: [CGWcostumers] Transporting Costumes to Costume College

  • LoraleePage
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
      One thing I have done is to make a bag that goes over a sturdy (suit) hanger out of quilted fabric. (Think of a clothespin bag or 18th century pocket. ). That goes on the hanger and provides protection and padding for the garment and the garment form not slip. It also provides a place for accessories and small slipper shoes if I need it.  Then the garment bag I make goes over that.

      Just an idea.

      Loralee

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 23, 2013, at 2:16 PM, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@...> wrote:

      I plan to make one or more hanging garment bags to hold my costumes that I am bringing to Costume College.  I have seen many patterns for hanging garment bags, both from pattern companies and on the internet, but most are for fairly simple and easy garment bags, while I want to make an exceptional bag for my costumes.

      It is easy to make a garment bag long enough for a trained dress, but what about:

      1. Adding padding for cushioning
      2. Using hangers where the hook folds down so the hooks don't catch on stuff (where can I get these?)
      3. Adding a bar (wood or plastic pipe?) across the middle so the garment bag can be folded and carried with a shoulder strap
      4. I have seen garment bags with the zipper vertical in the center front, diagonal in the front, and an upside down U shape in the front.  Which would be best for costumes?
      5. I have see a garment bag for bicyclists (Henty's Wingman http://henty.cc/us/) that rolls up and has some nice features (but it costs about $200 and is not long enough)
      6. How can I keep the dress from falling off the hanger?

      The specifics of the bag would vary based on traveling in a car, an airplane or train.  I will be traveling my train to Costume College this year.

      Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks so much.

      Bobbie Kalben
      bkalben@...

    • Bobbie Kalben
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
        Natalie, a workshop at next year's College of garment bags, etc. is a great idea! I am also making a travel tote bag from a brocaded fabric with shoes, purses, hats and gloves on it from my stash. If any of you see someone walking around with either at Costume College, be sure to come up to me and tell me what you like and don't like about them!

        Bobbie
        bkalben@...

        --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

        > Dear Bobbie: When you get this figured out, it sounds like a really great workshop to teach at College next year. Seriously. We all have the same issues. I know it's early but please consider it for college 2014.
        >
        > Natalie
        >
        > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I plan to make one or more hanging garment bags to hold my costumes that > > I am bringing to Costume College...
      • Dani Crum
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
          I second that!!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 24, 2013, at 1:23 PM, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@...> wrote:

          Natalie, a workshop at next year's College of garment bags, etc. is a great idea! I am also making a travel tote bag from a brocaded fabric with shoes, purses, hats and gloves on it from my stash. If any of you see someone walking around with either at Costume College, be sure to come up to me and tell me what you like and don't like about them!

          Bobbie
          bkalben@...

          --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

          > Dear Bobbie: When you get this figured out, it sounds like a really great workshop to teach at College next year. Seriously. We all have the same issues. I know it's early but please consider it for college 2014.
          >
          > Natalie
          >
          > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I plan to make one or more hanging garment bags to hold my costumes that > > I am bringing to Costume College...

        • Costume College Dean
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
            You got it Mommie-O.
            N.