Re: [CGWcostumers] Transporting Costumes to Costume College

  • Hannah
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi Bobbie,

      Re item # 3, carrying bar.  How would a strong dowel, 3/4" in diameter perhaps 2 feet long?, encased in a long tube of strong muslin or other sturdy fabric work?  It would NOT attach to the garment carrier itself but instead would be stand alone.  Carefully fold the garment bag over it, adjust the strap length to the perfect length for the person schlepping the costume ....

      Item #5, I am not a costumer, but am involved in restoration and upkeep of the costume collection at the San Fernando Valley Historical Society.  I like the idea of a huge  "U" on the front of the bag - makes it easier to get costumes in and out, less wear and possible tear on them.

      #6.  discreet straps gently sewed into the shoulder seam of the bodice, to hook over the coat hanger hook itself....

      I am not signed in to attend the Costume College but have been invited to drop in, talk with any of the people hanging out between classes.

      Perhaps I will see you there.  Thanks, Hannah Almstead

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi again, Bobbie!  As one of the resident thrift-shop junkies, here's my suggestion: Hit a thrift shop for a beat-up garment bag and cannibalize the parts - the handle, the internal assembly, the zipper (if it's long enough to be useful), the straps and strap hardware, etc. - to make your garment bag.

        For what it's worth, I found various styles of collapsible/folding travel hangers at Amazon, and instructions for how to make a collapsible travel hanger out of PVC pipe, rope, and an old wire hanger at http://www.instructables.com/id/Collapsible-Travel-Hanger/.

        Never thought of a U-shaped zipper, but it sounds like a great idea - beats having to fight with the garment bag to stuff the costume in! :-)

        I like the idea of padding the bag.  I keep thrift-shop pillowcases over my costumes in the closet - I just cut a slit in the end of the pillowcase for the head of the hanger to pass through. I'm such a slacker that I don't even Fray-Check the slits. ;-) Pillowcasing the dress in the garment bag will help keep it from flapping around while you're trying to pack it, and protect it from other garments that might catch on its buttons, embroidery, or other bling.

        As for keeping the dress on the hanger, if sewing hanging loops into the shoulder seams isn't practical, covering the arms of the hanger with a non-slippery fabric such as terry cloth or short-pile velour or suede cloth will help keep the garment from slipping off.  (I can remember when yarn-covered hangers were a staple of every church bazaar, PTA craft fair, etc.)

        Hope this helps!
        Mary
        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • LoraleePage
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
          One thing I have done is to make a bag that goes over a sturdy (suit) hanger out of quilted fabric. (Think of a clothespin bag or 18th century pocket. ). That goes on the hanger and provides protection and padding for the garment and the garment form not slip. It also provides a place for accessories and small slipper shoes if I need it.  Then the garment bag I make goes over that.

          Just an idea.

          Loralee

[...]

        • Costume College Dean
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
            Dear Bobbie: When you get this figured out, it sounds like a really great workshop to teach at College next year. Seriously. We all have the same issues. I know it's early but please consider it for college 2014.

            Natalie

            --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@...> wrote:

            > I plan to make one or more hanging garment bags to hold my costumes that
            > I am bringing to Costume College. I have seen many patterns for
            > hanging garment bags, both from pattern companies and on the internet,
            > but most are for fairly simple and easy garment bags, while I want to
            > make an exceptional bag for my costumes.
            >
            > It is easy to make a garment bag long enough for a trained dress, but
            > what about:
            >
            > 1. Adding padding for cushioning
            > 2. Using hangers where the hook folds down so the hooks
            > don't catch on stuff (where can I get these?)
            > 3. Adding a bar (wood or plastic pipe?) across the middle so the
            > garment bag can be folded and carried with a shoulder strap
            > 4. I have seen garment bags with the zipper vertical in the
            > center front, diagonal in the front, and an upside down U shape in the
            > front. Which would be best for costumes?
            > 5. I have see a garment bag for bicyclists (Henty's Wingman
            > http://henty.cc/us/ <http://henty.cc/us/> ) that rolls up and has
            > some nice features (but it costs about $200 and is not long enough)
            > 6. How can I keep the dress from falling off the hanger?
            >
            > The specifics of the bag would vary based on traveling in a car, an
            > airplane or train. I will be traveling my train to Costume College
            > this year.
            >
            > Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.
            > Bobbie Kalben
            > bkalben@...

          • Val
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
              No suggestions for the garment bag but for keeping dresses (and skirts & petticoats which can be heavy) on hangers I use either a large safety pin or a binder clip (those black metal ones that bend back). I put the garment on the hanger, then use the safety pin/clip just below the shoulder lines under the hanger. For skirts/petticoats, I use them at the middle of the waistband, pulling them up on either side of the hanger bar and clip in the middle.
              If the fabric is delicate, I wouldn't suggest the safety pins, and maybe put something soft btn the fabric and the binder clip.
              BTW, great suggestion Mary of putting thrift store pillow cases over other gowns hanging in the closet. I don't have enough garment bags for all my dresses.
              Val
            • Bobbie Kalben
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
                Natalie, a workshop at next year's College of garment bags, etc. is a great idea! I am also making a travel tote bag from a brocaded fabric with shoes, purses, hats and gloves on it from my stash. If any of you see someone walking around with either at Costume College, be sure to come up to me and tell me what you like and don't like about them!

                Bobbie
                bkalben@...

                --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                > Dear Bobbie: When you get this figured out, it sounds like a really great workshop to teach at College next year. Seriously. We all have the same issues. I know it's early but please consider it for college 2014.
                >
                > Natalie
                >
                > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Kalben" <bkalben@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I plan to make one or more hanging garment bags to hold my costumes that > > I am bringing to Costume College...
              • Dani Crum
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                  I second that!!

                  Sent from my iPhone