Leather patching / leather glue

  • fogswept
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hello!

      I have never worked with leather, and have a friend with a beloved leather jacket that needs repair. The inside of the collar has worn holes in the leather, and the owner has obtained some leather he wants to glue on top, rather than sew, because he doesn't want a seam on the neck.

      Any suggestions?
    • fauxrari
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2013
        Tandy Leather has a really good selection of leather glues. If there isn't a Tandy around, rubber cement will also work, especially if the patch isn't in a place that will experience a lot of stress. I don't think they tell you this on the package, but you'll want to apply glue to both the jacket and the patch, let it dry until it's tacky and then glue it down. You may wish to put a few books on top of it so that it dries nice and flat. You might also not want to use the brush in the can if you're only doing a small spot. I've had a lot of dribbles. Try a throw-away brush or a q-tip.

        Good luck,

        Lisa K-Bar