costume college question

  • costumefiend
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 6:53 AM
      For the wonderful theme at costume college, what are the inclusive years? I am having a lot of debate regarding what would be within the period or without the period of Cavalier.
      Thanks
      Ann Morton
    • Laura F
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 8:43 AM
        Cavalier was the name used by Parliamentarians for a Royalist supporter of King Charles I and son Charles II during the English Civil War, the Interregnum, and the Restoration (1642 â€" c. 1679). Prince Rupert, commander of much of Charles I's cavalry, is often considered an archetypical Cavalier.[1] Their clothes were leather knee high boots, tunics and hats complete with plumes

        --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "costumefiend" <bestinterests@...> wrote:

        > For the wonderful theme at costume college, what are the inclusive years? I am having a lot of debate regarding what would be within the period or without the period of Cavalier.
        > Thanks
        > Ann Morton

      • Gailynne Bouret
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28 9:23 AM
          Hi Ann,

          The height of the Cavalier period would be 1630-1640s.  Charles I and his court epitomized the look captured quite elegantly by the artist Anthony Van Dyke.

          Gailynne