Re: [CGWcostumers] Care of wool

  • foureverfaire
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
      Oh my - after shrinking my honey's wool uniform last week my suggestion is NEVER NEVER wash your wool items.  My machine has a 'wool' setting and I've washed his pants and my light stuff with NO problems.  But last week on 'wool' COLD I washed his uniform coat and shrunk it beyond use.  Spend the money and use a good dry cleaner.

      Paige
      aka Karen in the Mundane world

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
        If you plan on washing the garment int he future you should wash it in a similar manner to how you will launder it in the future.  Since you asked the question I am going to add a bit more.  Wool will not only shrink but it will constrict when subjected to high temp water and or agitation.  This will occur with successive washings so even if you wash it and shrink it up one time, a similar washing again could cause it to shrink more.  The constriction makes the wool thicker kind of like boiled wool.  When I have wool garments that I don't want to continue thickening and shrinking, I wash them carefully with cold water and very little agitation, usually by hand.   I might even dry clean something if it was really special. Since this is going to be a frock coat even if worn frequently it might not get too dirty unless your other half spills a lot.  Spot cleaning can really extend the life of something too.   I take it you already have the wool fabric.  Do you know what type of fabric it is beyond the wool content?  Is it flannel  or gaberdine.  A gaberdine I would definitely wash just to ge rid of some of the shine and thicken it up a bit.

        Betsabea