Miss Havisham's Wedding Breakfast

  • fauxrari
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
      Wow this event sounds so cool! I just wanted to offer some tips since I do a lot of events with the Getty Villa and my Roman group and some people get confused with the proximity of the 'big' Getty and the Villa and how their ticket system works.

      Direct link to Getty Villa tickets: http://www.getty.edu/visit/
      The Villa is on the right. Scroll down to "Get Free Tickets For The Getty Villa" Use the calendar on the pop up to select 1/5/13. I always suggest that people get tickets for earlier times rather than later as they have been known to make people wait to enter. The hours are 10-5 for Sat. If you want to see the whole museum and take tours and hang out, maybe get there at 10 and use the time before noon to wander around by yourself.

      The Villa is gorgeous, but it's right up against the ocean. I find even in the spring and summer it gets pretty cold in period Roman attire, which isn't that different from Regency. So bring a shawl and dress warm! Also if it does happen to rain, they have umbrellas there. Do wear comfortable shoes. The marble is killer on your feet in any kind of slipper-type shoes.

      If any guys are thinking of coming, don't bring any kind of weapons. When we do Roman events, they make us all leave our swords. They have even checked to make sure that us women aren't going to trip on our skirts or stab ourselves with our fibulae. Just a heads up.

      Also, if I can come (and I do I hope I can), if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind giving an impromptu version of the Greek/Roman fashion week lecture we did in October. : )

      And the food is amazing!!!

      Lisa K-B
    • CoCo Hotel Liaison
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
        Thanks Lisa!  We hope you can make it!!!

        Maegen Hensley
        Sent from iPhone

[...]

      • kittenfu1
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
          I am thinking it may be fun to make something from the 1820s for this stellar event, more of a transition from the empire-styled regency to the excesses of the romantic period . . . a natural waist (or close) and fuller sleeve h tops, but not the gigantic 1830s sleeves. This is an era I have not worked in as yet. Anyone have suggestions as to patterns or existent examples?
          Thanks
          Cynthia