Re: [CGWcostumers] Re: CGW Donation to the Helen Larson Collection at FIDM

  • Barbara Troeller
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
      Hello,

      I am 100% for the donation.  As a supporter of FIDM myself, I think this is a fabulous way to fund an extremely important costume acquisition.  The Larson collection is astounding beyond belief, and to keep it here and within our access is an honor not to be taken lightly.

      What a wonderful way to show our support of a fine museum and teaching organization.  Thank you to everyone who thought of this.

      Regards,  Barbara

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 13, 2012
        you guys must have lucked out.  I had my card and was talking to the manager here in Spring Valley and he wasn't even sure what the card was.  So I renewed on line.

        Paige

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
          I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.

          G. Ann Mitschek
          Past President - CGW, Inc.
          Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705

          Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
        • cra2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
            How did you prove you belong to a guild?  My JoAnns says I need a membership card.  Cheryl

            In a message dated 11/14/2012 5:22:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, foureverfaire@... writes:

[...]

          • Costume College Dean
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
              I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.

              Natalie

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                Let me put it yet another way. The CGW is hoping to enhance our reputation in the costuming community as on organization whose main interest is education in the field of costuming so that any member may consider membership in the CGW as a reconized asset in their efforts to perhaps attain a more professional standing.

                Natalie

                --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                > I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.
                >
                > Natalie
                >
                > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Ganntours <ganntours@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.
                > >
                > > G. Ann Mitschek
                > > Past President - CGW, Inc.
                > > Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705
                > >

                > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

              • CoCo Hotel Liaison
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                  Well said Natalie!

                  Maegen Hensley
                  Sent from iPhone

                  On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:50 AM, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                  Let me put it yet another way. The CGW is hoping to enhance our reputation in the costuming community as on organization whose main interest is education in the field of costuming so that any member may consider membership in the CGW as a reconized asset in their efforts to perhaps attain a more professional standing.

                  Natalie

                  --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                  > I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.
                  >
                  > Natalie
                  >
                  > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Ganntours <ganntours@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.
                  > >
                  > > G. Ann Mitschek
                  > > Past President - CGW, Inc.
                  > > Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705
                  > >

                  > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                • colleency
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                    Thank you, Natalie! This is exactly what I meant by professional.

                    Annie, I'm sorry that I didn't phrase that for better understanding.

                    Colleen

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                      Thank you for your discussion on the Helen Larson donation. I'll go ahead and address the concerns various people raised all in one email.

                      Membership cards: The board has discussed the issue of membership cards at least three of the last five years. The problems we face are that we renew our membership each year, so we would have to send out new cards once a year. Since each Joann's handles the discount differently, membership cards won't always help. We haven't found any other reason why we would need to issue a membership card, other than Joann's.

                      As Natalie posted, the research facility at FIDM will be available to us by appointment only, so membership cards probably won't be necessary.

                      Using the upstairs restroom at FIDM: It wouldn't hurt to inquire about use of the restrooms. I'll send a note to our FIDM liaison, but I don't think this would be a sticking point with us on whether or not to proceed with the donation.

                      CGW as a professional organization: I think I used the wrong word here! I didn't intend to imply that CGW is an organization for professionals; rather we are becoming an organization that is more professionally run, now that we are a 501c3.

                      Thanks again, everyone!
                      The board will be proceeding with this donation, as indicated in the minutes of the October board of directors meeting.
                      Colleen
                    • Dean Of Costume College
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 20, 2012
                        Thanks.  I do some of my best thinking in the shower.

                        Thank you,
                        Natalie Meyer
                        Dean -Costume College 2013
                        costumecollegedean@...