Re: CGW Donation to the Helen Larson Collection at FIDM

  • fynehats2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
      I saw the collection (part of it anyway) at FIDM when I was there during Costume College time and I agree it is a most worth while project for CGW to support. And I second Linda's request for special recognition. It's not likely that FIDM would get swamped by CGW folk all clamoring to go upstairs at one time!
      Donna Scarfe
    • fauxrari
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
        I remember there being restrooms at the building across the quad where the cafe is. I have always gone there. There's stalls and never a line if I remember correctly. But yes, I agree some less hostility would be greatly appreciated. I always come to sketch since they never allow photos and end up having to put my backpack or bag down since I have fibromyalgia and can't carry anything heavy for long periods of time and they always yell at me. They just seem to be grumpy overall.

        Lisa K-B

        --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Linda Abrams <lasprite@...> wrote:

        > I support the donation, but would very much like to see CGW get one
        > more piece of recognition in return: I would like to have a CGW
        > membership card recognized by the security guards as a pass to let us
        > go up the elevators to use the blankety-blank restrooms there!!!
        > Every time I have gone to the popular Exhibits, there has been a line
        > for the single restroom in the Exhibit Hall, and the security guards
        > at the elevators have to phone for an Act of Congress for permission
        > for one of us to go up to use the restrooms. Seriously, if we are
        > supporting the place financially, there ought to be a way for us to
        > be recognized as Friends and not hostile entities that need to be
        > kept out.
        >
        > Linda Abrams

      • fauxrari
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
          I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

          Lisa K-B
        • Sarah Pierce
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012

            Jo Ann’s offer’s a 10% off your total purchaseVIP card for people in “crafting” guilds.  CGW is accepted as a guild, you just have to ask them for the application, and I believe that you can go online to fill out the application as well, and they send you the saver’s card by mail.

            Sarah

            I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

            Lisa K-B

          • Costume College Dean
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
              --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "fauxrari" <drivergirl@...> wrote:

              > I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it
              was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our
              membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the
              security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they
              can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the
              past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an
              ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for
              identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister
              organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like
              JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be
              nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

              > Lisa K-B

              As access to the research facility is by appointment only, I would guess
              they would have some system in place to contact us to make sure someone
              making an appointment was a member.

              Natalie
            • foureverfaire
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                both the Joann's near me told me you have to fill the form out on line.  It is only good for a year, you have to request it annually, and the first one I got took several months to get.

                Paige

              • nightheron@pacbell.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                  If you walk into the store and need to renew, it is instant. They approve it on the spot in the store. I just showed them my old card I'd gotten online, they gave me a form to fill out in the store for a new card, and gave me the new card there. I suspect the employee may not have known they can give you cards in the store?

                  - Kathy

                  On 11/12/2012 10:04 AM, foureverfaire wrote:

[...]

                • Sandra Durbin
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012

                    Not if you go in person with proof of membership  I renew in person at joanns yearly

                    On Nov 12, 2012 10:32 AM, "foureverfaire" <foureverfaire@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Lynn Downward
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                      The first time you get one you have to apply online. then you bring in a membership card from CGW, GBACG, etc., and they validate a card for you. Then when you have to renew you show your continued membership to a guild and they can do it right there at the register.

                      Lynn
                      (Just went through this last month)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                        oh are you lucky, both my stores didn't even know what it was and told me to apply on line.
                        I've tossed my card and will reappy on line.

                        Paige

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                          Hello,

                          I am 100% for the donation.  As a supporter of FIDM myself, I think this is a fabulous way to fund an extremely important costume acquisition.  The Larson collection is astounding beyond belief, and to keep it here and within our access is an honor not to be taken lightly.

                          What a wonderful way to show our support of a fine museum and teaching organization.  Thank you to everyone who thought of this.

                          Regards,  Barbara

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 13, 2012
                            you guys must have lucked out.  I had my card and was talking to the manager here in Spring Valley and he wasn't even sure what the card was.  So I renewed on line.

                            Paige

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                              I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.

                              G. Ann Mitschek
                              Past President - CGW, Inc.
                              Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705

                              Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
                            • cra2@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                How did you prove you belong to a guild?  My JoAnns says I need a membership card.  Cheryl

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                  I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.

                                  Natalie

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                    Let me put it yet another way. The CGW is hoping to enhance our reputation in the costuming community as on organization whose main interest is education in the field of costuming so that any member may consider membership in the CGW as a reconized asset in their efforts to perhaps attain a more professional standing.

                                    Natalie

                                    --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                                    > I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.
                                    >
                                    > Natalie
                                    >
                                    > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Ganntours <ganntours@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.
                                    > >
                                    > > G. Ann Mitschek
                                    > > Past President - CGW, Inc.
                                    > > Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705
                                    > >

                                    > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                                  • CoCo Hotel Liaison
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                      Well said Natalie!

                                      Maegen Hensley
                                      Sent from iPhone

                                      On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:50 AM, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                                      Let me put it yet another way. The CGW is hoping to enhance our reputation in the costuming community as on organization whose main interest is education in the field of costuming so that any member may consider membership in the CGW as a reconized asset in their efforts to perhaps attain a more professional standing.

                                      Natalie

                                      --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                                      > I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.
                                      >
                                      > Natalie
                                      >
                                      > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Ganntours <ganntours@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.
                                      > >
                                      > > G. Ann Mitschek
                                      > > Past President - CGW, Inc.
                                      > > Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705
                                      > >

                                      > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                                    • colleency
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                        Thank you, Natalie! This is exactly what I meant by professional.

                                        Annie, I'm sorry that I didn't phrase that for better understanding.

                                        Colleen

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                          Thank you for your discussion on the Helen Larson donation. I'll go ahead and address the concerns various people raised all in one email.

                                          Membership cards: The board has discussed the issue of membership cards at least three of the last five years. The problems we face are that we renew our membership each year, so we would have to send out new cards once a year. Since each Joann's handles the discount differently, membership cards won't always help. We haven't found any other reason why we would need to issue a membership card, other than Joann's.

                                          As Natalie posted, the research facility at FIDM will be available to us by appointment only, so membership cards probably won't be necessary.

                                          Using the upstairs restroom at FIDM: It wouldn't hurt to inquire about use of the restrooms. I'll send a note to our FIDM liaison, but I don't think this would be a sticking point with us on whether or not to proceed with the donation.

                                          CGW as a professional organization: I think I used the wrong word here! I didn't intend to imply that CGW is an organization for professionals; rather we are becoming an organization that is more professionally run, now that we are a 501c3.

                                          Thanks again, everyone!
                                          The board will be proceeding with this donation, as indicated in the minutes of the October board of directors meeting.
                                          Colleen
                                        • Dean Of Costume College
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 20, 2012
                                            Thanks.  I do some of my best thinking in the shower.

                                            Thank you,
                                            Natalie Meyer
                                            Dean -Costume College 2013
                                            costumecollegedean@...