CGW Donation to the Helen Larson Collection at FIDM

  • colleency
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hello CGW members!

      I hope by now you've heard that Fashion Institute of Design Merchandising in Los Angeles is trying to collect enough money to purchase and preserve the Helen Larson Collection, an exceptional private collection of historic and vintage clothing and accessories. You may have seen the Helen Larson collection room in the past year or so at FIDM's museum or had a peek at it during the CGW tour last spring. FIDM has 5 years to raise the money needed, or the collection will be returned to Helen Larson's estate.

      We have the exciting opportunity to help keep this collection in Los Angeles! In return for our contribution:
      • CGW members in good standing will have access by appointment to the research facilities for the collection. This is an amazing benefit, that is usually reserved for students and alumni.
      • CGW will have its name in perpetuity on one of the collection's pieces, such as a pair of 17th century shoes or stays or a corset.
      • CGW will be given a credit any time "our" piece is displayed or photographed.
      In addition to the benefits bestowed on us from FIDM, this donation is in line with the objectives of our organization , which include serving the costume community, promoting the advancement of costuming culture, and promoting community goodwill toward the costuming community, as well as stepping us up, in the eyes of other costuming organizations, from hobbyists to a more professional organization.

      In order for us to take advantage of the benefits offered by FIDM, our commitment must be made before the end of the year. Our portion of the 2.5 million dollar need is an initial donation of $10,000. Each year for the next four years, the board will asses our financial position and make the decision whether we have the funds to donate an additional $5000 to a total of $30,000 over the 5-year period. The CGW board previously resolved to keep enough money in reserve to pay for the following year's Costume College, so if there is an unforeseen disaster, we will still be able to pay our bills for that year. This donation does not affect that reserve.

      At the recent board of directors meeting, we made the decision to donate to the fund (see the minutes section 2g ). However, a member requested that for such a large donation, we might ask more specifically for input from members, and we agree that we'd like to hear your voice on the subject. Please use this forum to discuss the issue for the next two weeks, until 11/18/12. The board will take the discussion into account and either confirm or revise our decision.

      Thank you,

      Colleen Crosby
      President, 2012-2013
      Costumer's Guild West, Inc.

    • Dani Crum
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 7, 2012
        I am thrilled beyond belief that we are do noting to this collection. I know CGW takes great care to limit charitable giving and I applaud that general approach but I believe this exactly the kind of extraordinary collection that we should be supporting.  Additionally I think the yearly reassessment is an example of good management.  Go CGW board!

      • fslcoop@pacbell.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 8, 2012
          It sounds to me like it would be a very appropriate donation. Good choice!

          Suzanne

          --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "colleency" <colleency@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > $5000 to a total of $30,000 over the 5-year period. The CGW board
          > previously resolved to keep enough money in reserve to pay for the
          > following year's Costume College, so if there is an unforeseen disaster,
          > we will still be able to pay our bills for that year. This donation
          > does not affect that reserve.
          >
          > At the recent board of directors meeting, we made the decision to donate
          > to the fund (see the minutes section 2g
          > <http://www.costumersguild.net/pdfs/_Minutes/CGW_BOD_Minutes_20121027_ap\
          > proved.pdf> ). However, a member requested that for such a large
          > donation, we might ask more specifically for input from members, and we
          > agree that we'd like to hear your voice on the subject. Please use this
          > forum to discuss the issue for the next two weeks, until 11/18/12. The
          > board will take the discussion into account and either confirm or revise

        • L D

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 8, 2012
                How wonderful, I am completely behind supporting the purchase of the Helen Larson Collection!
                Cynthia

              • Linda Abrams
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 9, 2012
                  I support the donation, but would very much like to see CGW get one
                  more piece of recognition in return: I would like to have a CGW
                  membership card recognized by the security guards as a pass to let us
                  go up the elevators to use the blankety-blank restrooms there!!!
                  Every time I have gone to the popular Exhibits, there has been a line
                  for the single restroom in the Exhibit Hall, and the security guards
                  at the elevators have to phone for an Act of Congress for permission
                  for one of us to go up to use the restrooms. Seriously, if we are
                  supporting the place financially, there ought to be a way for us to
                  be recognized as Friends and not hostile entities that need to be
                  kept out.

                  Linda Abrams
                • fynehats2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                    I saw the collection (part of it anyway) at FIDM when I was there during Costume College time and I agree it is a most worth while project for CGW to support. And I second Linda's request for special recognition. It's not likely that FIDM would get swamped by CGW folk all clamoring to go upstairs at one time!
                    Donna Scarfe
                  • fauxrari
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                      I remember there being restrooms at the building across the quad where the cafe is. I have always gone there. There's stalls and never a line if I remember correctly. But yes, I agree some less hostility would be greatly appreciated. I always come to sketch since they never allow photos and end up having to put my backpack or bag down since I have fibromyalgia and can't carry anything heavy for long periods of time and they always yell at me. They just seem to be grumpy overall.

                      Lisa K-B

                      --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Linda Abrams <lasprite@...> wrote:

                      > I support the donation, but would very much like to see CGW get one
                      > more piece of recognition in return: I would like to have a CGW
                      > membership card recognized by the security guards as a pass to let us
                      > go up the elevators to use the blankety-blank restrooms there!!!
                      > Every time I have gone to the popular Exhibits, there has been a line
                      > for the single restroom in the Exhibit Hall, and the security guards
                      > at the elevators have to phone for an Act of Congress for permission
                      > for one of us to go up to use the restrooms. Seriously, if we are
                      > supporting the place financially, there ought to be a way for us to
                      > be recognized as Friends and not hostile entities that need to be
                      > kept out.
                      >
                      > Linda Abrams

                    • fauxrari
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                        I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

                        Lisa K-B
                      • Sarah Pierce
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012

                          Jo Ann’s offer’s a 10% off your total purchaseVIP card for people in “crafting” guilds.  CGW is accepted as a guild, you just have to ask them for the application, and I believe that you can go online to fill out the application as well, and they send you the saver’s card by mail.

                          Sarah

                          I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

                          Lisa K-B

                        • Costume College Dean
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                            --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "fauxrari" <drivergirl@...> wrote:

                            > I think this is a wonderful idea. I got to see the collection and it
                            was wonderful. I do have a question- how will we establish our
                            membership in the CGW in such a way as to be easy enough for the
                            security guards to know our affiliation (as we all know how picky they
                            can be)? I know this group has not advocated the use of ID cards in the
                            past, but perhaps this is the event that would change minds. Having an
                            ID card would be nice for other reasons as well, such as for
                            identification for the purpose of receiving discounts with sister
                            organizations and some other organizations. I know that places like
                            JoAnn's offer discounts for teachers, which an ID card would also be
                            nice to use if we do teach at CoCo. Ideas?

                            > Lisa K-B

                            As access to the research facility is by appointment only, I would guess
                            they would have some system in place to contact us to make sure someone
                            making an appointment was a member.

                            Natalie
                          • foureverfaire
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                              both the Joann's near me told me you have to fill the form out on line.  It is only good for a year, you have to request it annually, and the first one I got took several months to get.

                              Paige

                            • nightheron@pacbell.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                                If you walk into the store and need to renew, it is instant. They approve it on the spot in the store. I just showed them my old card I'd gotten online, they gave me a form to fill out in the store for a new card, and gave me the new card there. I suspect the employee may not have known they can give you cards in the store?

                                - Kathy

                                On 11/12/2012 10:04 AM, foureverfaire wrote:

[...]

                              • Sandra Durbin
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012

                                  Not if you go in person with proof of membership  I renew in person at joanns yearly

                                  On Nov 12, 2012 10:32 AM, "foureverfaire" <foureverfaire@...> wrote:

[...]

                                • Lynn Downward
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                                    The first time you get one you have to apply online. then you bring in a membership card from CGW, GBACG, etc., and they validate a card for you. Then when you have to renew you show your continued membership to a guild and they can do it right there at the register.

                                    Lynn
                                    (Just went through this last month)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                                      oh are you lucky, both my stores didn't even know what it was and told me to apply on line.
                                      I've tossed my card and will reappy on line.

                                      Paige

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 12, 2012
                                        Hello,

                                        I am 100% for the donation.  As a supporter of FIDM myself, I think this is a fabulous way to fund an extremely important costume acquisition.  The Larson collection is astounding beyond belief, and to keep it here and within our access is an honor not to be taken lightly.

                                        What a wonderful way to show our support of a fine museum and teaching organization.  Thank you to everyone who thought of this.

                                        Regards,  Barbara

> [...]

                                        > $5000 to a total of $30,000 over the 5-year period. The CGW board
                                        > previously resolved to keep enough money in reserve to pay for the
                                        > following year's Costume College, so if there is an unforeseen disaster,
                                        > we will still be able to pay our bills for that year. This donation
                                        > does not affect that reserve.
                                        >
                                        > At the recent board of directors meeting, we made the decision to donate
                                        > to the fund (see the minutes section 2g
                                        > <http://www.costumersguild.net/pdfs/_Minutes/CGW_BOD_Minutes_20121027_ap\
                                        > proved.pdf> ). However, a member requested that for such a large
                                        > donation, we might ask more specifically for input from members, and we
                                        > agree that we'd like to hear your voice on the subject. Please use this
                                        > forum to discuss the issue for the next two weeks, until 11/18/12. The
                                        > board will take the discussion into account and either confirm or revise

                                      • foureverfaire
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 13, 2012
                                          you guys must have lucked out.  I had my card and was talking to the manager here in Spring Valley and he wasn't even sure what the card was.  So I renewed on line.

                                          Paige

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                            I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.

                                            G. Ann Mitschek
                                            Past President - CGW, Inc.
                                            Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705

                                            Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
                                          • cra2@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 18, 2012
                                              How did you prove you belong to a guild?  My JoAnns says I need a membership card.  Cheryl

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                                I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.

                                                Natalie

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                                  Let me put it yet another way. The CGW is hoping to enhance our reputation in the costuming community as on organization whose main interest is education in the field of costuming so that any member may consider membership in the CGW as a reconized asset in their efforts to perhaps attain a more professional standing.

                                                  Natalie

                                                  --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, "Costume College Dean" <costumecollegedean@...> wrote:

                                                  > I think "Professional" may be the wrong word. What we were trying to convey was a desire to be more highly considered or perhaps being more respected in the costuming community and perhaps gaining a better sense of purpose as opposed to hobbyists.
                                                  >
                                                  > Natalie
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Ganntours <ganntours@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I like the idea of the donation to such a worthwhile endeavor.  Where I take exception is to the implication that we are, or will become, a "professional" association.  While I know we have many professional costumers among our membership the CGW was created to embrace ALL skill levels and share our knowledge with each other.  I believe any attempt to become exclusively one type of membership or another would be a disservice to the group as a whole.  There are several organizations in existance for professionals, we need to be welcoming to all costumers, no matter where they are on their journey. Remember Costume College's thought process - everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > G. Ann Mitschek
                                                  > > Past President - CGW, Inc.
                                                  > > Member - I.A.T.S.E., Local 705
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                                                • CoCo Hotel Liaison
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                                    Well said Natalie!

                                                    Maegen Hensley
                                                    Sent from iPhone

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                                      Thank you, Natalie! This is exactly what I meant by professional.

                                                      Annie, I'm sorry that I didn't phrase that for better understanding.

                                                      Colleen

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 19, 2012
                                                        Thank you for your discussion on the Helen Larson donation. I'll go ahead and address the concerns various people raised all in one email.

                                                        Membership cards: The board has discussed the issue of membership cards at least three of the last five years. The problems we face are that we renew our membership each year, so we would have to send out new cards once a year. Since each Joann's handles the discount differently, membership cards won't always help. We haven't found any other reason why we would need to issue a membership card, other than Joann's.

                                                        As Natalie posted, the research facility at FIDM will be available to us by appointment only, so membership cards probably won't be necessary.

                                                        Using the upstairs restroom at FIDM: It wouldn't hurt to inquire about use of the restrooms. I'll send a note to our FIDM liaison, but I don't think this would be a sticking point with us on whether or not to proceed with the donation.

                                                        CGW as a professional organization: I think I used the wrong word here! I didn't intend to imply that CGW is an organization for professionals; rather we are becoming an organization that is more professionally run, now that we are a 501c3.

                                                        Thanks again, everyone!
                                                        The board will be proceeding with this donation, as indicated in the minutes of the October board of directors meeting.
                                                        Colleen
                                                      • Dean Of Costume College
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 20, 2012
                                                          Thanks.  I do some of my best thinking in the shower.

                                                          Thank you,
                                                          Natalie Meyer
                                                          Dean -Costume College 2013
                                                          costumecollegedean@...