Need suggestions for repairing fake leather :(

  • aftra_sag
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30 7:07 PM
      I have a BRAND NEW jacket: vinyl that you would SWEAR is beautiful, soft, supple leather.

      Well, one of my birds decided go chompers on it = ragged hole approx. 1/2" x 1". Under the vinyl is a fabric that I believe is also vinyl, but has the texture of canvas.

      So I'm looking for hints/tips on best repairing the damage.

      Thanks.

      -d.a.
    • Linda Abrams
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
        I vaguely remember there being little kits intended for the repair of
        vinyl furniture. They involved a powder, pigments and heat. I don't
        think I have one anymore. A google search under "vinyl repair"
        brought up some similar stuff, and some professional repair places:
        https://www.google.com/search?
        ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=vinyl+repair

        Linda
      • ObiShawn
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
          If it is "skin" and not "suede" style, i've had good luck with vinyl/leather repair kits used for auto seats. match the color, fill in the tear, match the texture with the included swatches, then let cure. there will always be a seam, but you usually have to look hard to find it. The cleaner/less ragged the damage, the better the repair.