Upcoming Sewing Workshops

  • Shelley Peters
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
      Hello, Reenactors, Docents,  Costumers & Historical Clothing Enthusiasts,

      I have added two more Sewing workshops to the Fall Schedule:
      Saturday & Sunday, November 3 & 4 in Lakeside (San Diego area)
      *Look for this one on Facebook:  Historical Sewing Workshop II November 3-4*
      Saturday & Sunday, December 8 & 9 in Victorville  (Hi Desert area)
      This is in addtion to:
      This Sat & Sun in Lake Forest (almost full)1
      Saturday, October 6 in Nuevo (room for more)
      Sat & Sun November 17 & 18 in Prescott AZ
       Please let me know if you want to sign up for any of these Fall workshops. shelleypeters@...
      Of course, a corset is the starting point for any period gown. In the next sessions I will then work with you on your individual project teaching you how to use period techniques to sew beautifully fitted period correct garments. All eras are welcome.

      Here are some of the projects you can receive individual instruction on in any era:
      Corset Workshop $125 (plus tax on materials) for the first day: Sew your own corset; white coutil, cotton twill, and all supplies included. (I recommend this before you attempt to sew a day dress or ball gown)  $25 per day to finish.
      Under it All $40: Chemise and drawers or combination underwear for beginning and intermediate sewers.
      Bodice Fitting $40: Make a muslin from your favorite day dress or ball gown pattern and have it fitted to your corseted shape (I recommend Truly Victorian).  If this gets completed we will go right into the cutting out process.
      Bodice Construction $40 per day: Period techniques taught for a bodice( day or ball gown) to go over a corseted figure including flat lining, hook and eye closure, boning channels, and piping facings. Supplies will be available for sale.
      Summer Sheer Dress $40 per session:  Learn to fit the underbodice, gathering, flatfell seams, and cartridge pleat as you construct a gown made of sheer cotton
      Skirting the Belle $40:  How to make a skirt (day or ball gown) to go over your hoops with period construction techniques and pleating ideas.
      The 5 Foot Pinner Apron $40: For beginning to intermediate sewers, learn how to use 5 of your sewing machine feet while constructing a pinner apron
      Wrapper $40: This requires 7 yards each of fabric and lining. We will use the Past Pattern #807.
      UFO $20 to $40: Come and sew for the day.  Work on your own or get help on your specific project.
      Private Sewing Lessons:  $20 per hr/2 hr minimum

      Bring a Potluck dish to share, your sewing machine and the project you want to work on. We'll have fun and accomplish some sewing!
      Please let me know if you plan to participate and which class you are interested in doing. I can send you a flyer with more information about each workshop. Supplies (patterns, boning, hook & eye tape, etc.) will be available for purchase.  Cash, Check, or Cards accepted.

      We have had good response for Civilian Set-ups at the Dominguez Rancho  "Battle of the Old Woman's Gun".  There is room for more.  Please register with me, shelleypeters@... , or Ginger Brodiaeas@... if you would ike to participate.  Free lunch to Historical set-ups and demonstraters, Donation Tea/dance at 3:30 pm.Sat.  Lovely California Historical Landmark.  Above Ground fires OK.  Arrive Fri/leave Mon.  Military-contact Steve Clugston SteveClugston@...
      Upcoming Events 2012
      Come join with us in commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War at these sesquicentennial events and other Living History/Historical Dance events:
      September 29 &30 Sewing Workshop Lake Forest
      October 6, Saturday, Sewing Workshop , Nuevo
      October 6,7 MarchingThruHistoryExpo, TimeLine, Prado Park , Chino , CANCELLED
      October 6,7 Rancho Margarita Civil War, Central Coast area, CANCELLED
      October 13,14, BattleoftheOldWoman’sGun,  Dominguez Rancho, Carson * http://www.dominguezrancho.org/
      October 27,28, Civil War in the Battle Born State , Spring Mtn. Ranch, Las Vegas , Nevada *www.snlha.org
      November 3, 4 Sewing Workshop Lakeside
      November 7,14,28, Wednesdays, Dance classes start for Dickens Ball www.riversidevictoriandance.com
      November 10,11 The Blue and the Gray, Civil War, Moorpark*, www.civilwaralliance.com
      November 17 & 18 Corset Sewing Workshop, Prescott AZ
      November 24 SDI Ball Pasadena, http://victoriandance.org/
      November 30, Friday night, Temecula Old Town Christmas Parade
      December 8, 9 Sewing Workshop, Victorville
      2013
      January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Dance Class before the Dickens Ball   http://www.riversidevictoriandance.com/
      January 12,13 Gathering of the Gunfighters, Yuma AZ    http://www.rgamerica.org/
      January 26 Jane Austen Tea & Ball
      February 2,3 Riverside Dickens Festival   www.dickensfest.com *
      February 2 Mr. Fezziwigs Ball www.Dickensfest,com
      Feb 2 Viennes Nights Ball, Balboa club San Diego
      Feb 16, 17, 18 Civil War Reenactment Calico Ghost Town, Yermo , CA ACWS.net
      March 16,17 St. Catherine’s, Anaheim , Washington Artillery
      March 16,17 Picacho Peak Civil War Reenactment, AZ
      March 23 Grand Victorian Ball, Pasadena , http://victoriandance.org/
      April 6,7 Civil War Reenactment, Prado Park , Chino ,   www.sccwa.com
      May 3-5 Gaslight Gathering Steampunk&Victoriana Conference, San Diego www.gaslightgathering.org
      June 22-July 8 150th Anniversay of the Battle of Gettysburg , PA
      July 13 Grand Victorian Ball, Pasadena http://victoriandance.org/
      October 25-27 Spring Mountain Ranch Civil War Reenactment, Las Vegas ACWS.net  SNLHA.org

      These Civilian Civil War Reenacting Units are always looking for new members:
      Historical Citizens Association (HCA) HistoricalCitizens.org
      Winstontown Winstontown@yahoogroups.com
      10th Georgia Hospital & Relief Association Terry Larson at 951 506-9139, flyingcolorscsa@..., or Jim & Lynette Corten at 951 694-1862
      American Civil War Society, Inc   www.ACWS.net    ACWS_CivilianCorps@yahoogroups.com
      Shelley Peters
      SewPeriod!
      Proprietress, Kansas Mercantile
      KansasMercantile.com
      www.facebook.com/KansasMercantile
    • Shelley Peters
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2013

        Greetings, Historical Costuming Enthusiasts.

        For me, the year has started out very busy with a lot of historical reenacting and costuming opportunities. This weekend is the Dickens Festival in Riverside.  Help!   Val LaBor cinnamonhrts@...  is coordinating a time line of mourning costumes covering over a century for the Fashion Show.  Due to a cancellation she needs a model for an 1840s mourning gown, with bonnet. Its a modern dress size 10-14/pattern size 18. You would just need black shoes.  (See pic at bottom of page.)  Please contact her.
        I am also looking for a 3rd and 4th roomate for Fri & Sat night at the Mission Inn. shelleypeters@...

        Scheduled Sewing Workshops
        February 9 & 10 Las Vegasn (4 corset makers & others/ Caroline's empty house)
        February 23 & 24 Lakeside (East San Diego area/ Debbie's historical home)
        March 2 & 3 Victorville (Mary Todd Lincoln's home)
        TBD:
        Saturday, March 30 Nuevo?
        April 13 &14
        June 1 & 2
        Contact me to sign up for any of these workshops or to schedule on in your area.
        Click on "Join this group"
        You can also "like " my facebook page:    www.facebook.com/HistoricalSewingWorkshops
           *****************************************************************************************************************************************************
        UpcomiUUpcoming Events2013Come join with us in commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War at these sesquicentennial events and other Living Hisotiry and  History/Historical &  Dance events:
        January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Dance Class before the Dickens Ball   http://www.riversidevictoriandance.com/
        February 2,3 Riverside Dickens Festival   www.dickensfest.com *
        February 2 Mr. Fezziwigs Ball www.Dickensfest,com
        Feb 2 Viennese Nights Ball, Balboa Club San Diego
        Feb 9, 10 Sewing Workshop Las Vegas, NV
        Feb 9    Lincoln Shrine Open House www.acws.net
        Feb 16, 17, 18 Civil War Reenactment Calico Ghost Town, Yermo , CA ACWS.net
        Feb 16, 17 Civil War Encampment Strathearn Museum, Simi Valley   www.CivilWarAlliance.com*
        Feb 21, 22 Sewing Workshop TBA Lakeside/San Diego area
        March 2,3 Sewing Workshop TBA Victorville
        March 9,10 Civil War Reenactment,AntiqueGas&SteamEngineMuseumVista  www.civilwaralliance.com *
        March 16,17 St. Catherine’s, Anaheim , Washington Artillery
        March 16,17 Picacho Peak Civil War Reenactment, AZ
        March 23 Grand Victorian Ball, Pasadena , http://victoriandance.org/
        April 6, 7 Civil War Reenactment, Prado Park , Chino ,   www.sccwa.com*
        April 20, 21 Civil War Reenactment Fairview Park, Costa Mesa*
        April 20,21 Las Mariposas Civil War
        April 27,28 Civil War Reenactment, Pierce College , Woodland Hills,  www.CivilWarAlliance.com*
        May 3-5 Gaslight Gathering Steampunk&Victoriana Conference, San Diego www.gaslightgathering.org*
        May 4, 5  Wooden Nickel
        May 17,18,19 Temecula Western Days
        May 18,19 Ft. Tejon Spring Invitational
        May 24, 25, 26 Civil War Reenactment, Vail Lake ACWS.net*
        June 8  Admiral Lord Nelson Ball, Orange County
        June 22-July 8 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg , PA  www.BlueGrayGettysburg.com
        July 13,14  Old Ft. Macarthur Days    http://www.ftmac.org/index.htm *Note: this is the correct date!
        July 13 Grand Victorian Ball, Pasadena http://victoriandance.org/
        July 27 BlueGrayCotillion http://www.2ndcavalry.org/
        August 17,18  Ft.Tejon Invitational
        August 31-September 1 Civil War Reenactment, Central Park, Huntington Beach *
        September 6, 7, 8  Banning Stagecoach Days http://stagecoachdays.net*
        Sept 21,22 Drum Barracks www.acws.net
        October 5,6 Helendale www.acws.net
        October 5,6 Marching Thru History? Prado Park TBD
        October 12,13 Civil War Reenactment, Tom’s Farms, Corona  www.civilwaralliance.com*
        October 12,13 BattleoftheOldWoman’sGun Dominguez Rancho, Carson
        October 9-13  Poway Rendezvous Old Poway Park
        October 25-27 Spring Mountain Ranch Civil War Reenactment, Las Vegas ACWS.net  SNLHA.org*
        November 9, 10 Civil War Reenactment, Moorpark, www.civilwar alliance, com*
        December 14,15 Vail Lake Christmas www.ACWS.net