Help Dying Georgette/ Silk

  • taggart99q
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
      Hello! I am helping a friend attempt to fix a dress that we think is Georgette/ silk. There are faded spots from either body moisture/ oil or something on the neckline and hemline. My best plan of action is try to dye it the original color (a sage green) and fill in those spots. If it does not end up the same exact color, that's ok. There is also a light nylon tulle overlay on the dress. The overlay has no marks on it.

      My question is this. Has anyone dyed silk/ georgette? If so what dye did you use? (My research shows RIT should be ok, but I can go fancy art/ acid dye if you all say it works better) and what problems did you run into/ avert.

      Thanks for any advice or thoughts on the project!

      She did not buy the dress from this place, but it appears to be the same one.
      http://www.victoriantradingco.com/store/catalogimages/1a/i20801.html
    • Dani Crum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
        Hi. I dye silk a lot as my costuming hobby is silk dyeing and shibori.

        You can use RIT dye if convenient. You can also use several other types including acid dyes and sabraset/lanaset dyes both of which I recommend. (I don't like using fiber-reactive dyes on silk because you can really ruin the hand.)

        My favorite US sources for dyes are www.dharmatrading.com and www.prochemicalanddye.com.

        I think the hardest part of silk garment dyeing as opposed to art silk dyeing is getting the dye even. You have great timing because Dharma just put up a great article on their website about using auxiliaries (added chemicals in the dye bath) to get an even or "level" dye with acid dyes. Note that acid dyes come in a lot of colors so they will be easier to match than sabraset dyes.

        Here's the article.
        http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/12313878-AA.shtml

        Good luck!

        Dani Crum
      • kittenfu1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2012
          Do make sure the dress is as clean as you can make it, just like hair silk needs to open up to take dye well. Get out your hints from Heloise and work those spots, then clean (or have cleaned) the whole garment. Once you over dye a stain you set it in a layer of protection that will make it even harder to cover.

          my two pennies
          Cynthia