French Fashion 1912-1914

  • cgwvicepres
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2011
      Hi there- passing along some info sent to me by our sister guild SITU. Enjoy! -Elizabeth McCash
      ****

      I just found out about an exhibition called À la MODE of original hand-colored fashion prints from 1912-1914 at Davidson Gallery in Pioneer Square It looks like it is worth a visit! The gallery is located at 313 Occidental Ave South, Seattle WA 98104 and is open Tuesday-Sunday 10-5:30. The exhibition is up until October 1.

      French Fashion Plates

      from Journal Des Dames et Des Modes (1912-1914)

      Drawn by some of the finest graphic artists of the day, the pochoir prints from Journal des Dames et des Modes provide a lavish record of the final years of La Belle Epoque. In the years leading up to WWI, Paris was the capital of the fashion world. Wealthy women owned many changes of outfits for appropriate occasions and times of day. Journal des Dames et des Modes was a luxury publication for an exclusive clientele. Each issue contained fashion notes, poetry, aphorisms and one to five unbound colored fashion plates bearing the heading "Costumes Parisiens." In this exhibition, the Antique Department will feature several prints from this journal's active two-year span when it was a popular, dazzling voice among the elite in Paris.

      Many of these fashion plates can be seen at http://www.davidsongalleries.com/subjects/fashion/fashion.php