Laughing Moon 107

  • Rebecca Rowan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008
      curious to know if anyone has ever made the above mentioned pattern?
      I'm running into questions that I'm not sure. I think I'm getting it
      together all right but not sure about it.

      I'm not quite understanding what they want me to do with the seams. I
      take I'm to trim one side and then fold the other side over and sew it
      down? And I think I've got the placket on the wrong side. Oh, well.

      Any help or suggestions welcomed.
    • Heather Pritchett
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008

        Hi Rebecca.

        This is the Men's Victorian/Edwardian shirt pattern, right?

        I haven't made that one, but I'm pretty familiar with a few other Laughing Moon patterns. I could probably help "translate" the instructions. The seam you're describing sounds like a flat-felled seam. I have a sewing book (New Complete Guide to Sewing) that has a nice pictorial description. I tried to find something similar on the web and found this video that uses a men's shirt as an example:

        http://www.expertvillage.com/video/13884_flat-felled-sewing.htm?ref=yssp

        Hope it helps!

        Heather

        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
        -- Eleanor Roosevelt, diplomat, author, and lecturer (1884-1962)

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
          That does help.  I've got a feeling that part of my problem is I want to have this done by CC26 and I've had it cut out since November and it's just not going as quickly as I thought it would....You know?

          thanks fo showing me this link.  I'll bookmark it so that anytime I need to figure something out, maybe they can help me...

          Oh, and yes, it was the Men's Victorian/Edwardian shirt pattern.  I've also cut out LM #106 and 109 plus for me #103.

          --
          Rebecca Rowan
          (310) 710-3291

          "Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.....
        • njmeyer@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008

            Never made that pattern but from your description it sounds like they are instructing you to make a flat felled seam like the ones in our modern blue jeans.  You do trim one side of the seam allowance then fold the other side over it and press then stitch on the fold line.

            Natalie.