Re: [CGWcostumers] Re: Are you on Facebook?

  • LoraleePage
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2011
      While I have not seen anything official about abandoning our yahoo group which has been serving us well, at least one poster has expressed the hope/ expectation that the CoCo chat would move over to FB.
        I would like to see the yahoo group continue as it has, as a place to chat, share AND receive official CGW notices and CoCo info.   As CGW has chosen to ADD FB, fine-( that caters to a different group.)  I would like to see it as policy for the yahoo group to remain in use as it has.   ( if it becomes policy to use both, fine. Just please do not curtail announcements through yahoo.)

      Just my two cents.

      Loralee

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 17, 2011, at 1:00 PM, "Elizabeth McCash" <emccash@...> wrote:

      Hi there everyone,
      I was waiting for someone else to jump in and assuage the concerns presented here, but I haven't seen an "official post" come through, so I'll give it a go. Please forgive me if I am stepping on anyone's toes.

      Regarding the CGW's use of Facebook and/ or other social media to facilitate discussion amongst our members:

      All the information you need to have to attend Costume College will be contained in the Registration Packet. We have no plans to ditch paper. I personally think there are too many trees anyway.*

      That said, if there are people on Facebook who would like to have a conversation about their plans, or get deadline reminders, they are certainly free to do so. The reason that the CGW and Costume College even HAVE Facebook pages is because enough people who do use the site, have listed it in their "interests" or in their status updates, that Facebook had made a "Community Page" for us. We decided that it would be wise for us to actually manage our own page, in order to make it more useful to those who wish to use it.

      For all of you who passionately hate Facebook for whatever reason, please rest easy. We will still print Squeals; we will still print Registration Packets, we still have our websites.

      If any of you reading this have a friend who has "gone off the grid" and doesn't use the internet in any form, would you please print hand-copy this message onto handmade parchment, and send it along to them via carrier pigeon? Thanks!*

      If anyone still has further questions or concerns on this or any other CGW-related topic, please feel free to contact me off-list. No, I am not giving out my phone number on the internet or elsewhere, but if you are reading this, you know how to work e-mail, and if you just recieved your carrier pigeon, you can send an angry letter to the CGW address (found in your copy of Squeals) "Attn: Elizabeth-I-hate-trees McCash".

      Thank you for your time, and thanks to everyone for offering their input. Representing you to the Board is much easier when I have some indications of your thoughts and wishes.

      Sincerely,
      Elizabeth McCash

      (*Yes, I was joking. I'm a big fan of trees, and I hold no ill-feelings towards those who prefer a non0technological lifestyle. If anything you read above shocked you, by all means, please send me an angry e-mail. At least it would be some feedback.)

      --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Noelle Paduan <lbc42@...> wrote:

      > Re: moving conversations about CoCo to facebook, I'd like to remind everyone that not everyone uses facebook and it'd be great for those of us that don't (and I do have very serious reasons why I don't) that we'll need a way to get the info as well. Not sure if you can make it totally public to view or not, but if you are going to move conversations to that arena, please don't make us HAVE to friend the account in order to see what is going on.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Noelle P
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Mo! Langdon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2011
        At 6:05 PM -0800 1/17/11, LoraleePage wrote:

        >While I have not seen anything official about
        >abandoning our yahoo group which has been
        >serving us well, at least one poster has
        >expressed the hope/ expectation that the CoCo
        >chat would move over to FB.
        >  I would like to see the yahoo group continue
        >as it has, as a place to chat, share AND receive
        >official CGW notices and CoCo info. As CGW has
        >chosen to ADD FB, fine-( that caters to a
        >different group.)  I would like to see it as
        >policy for the yahoo group to remain in use as
        >it has. ( if it becomes policy to use both,
        >fine. Just please do not curtail announcements
        >through yahoo.)

        I agree with Loralee.

        I definitely vote for keeping the the Yahoo!
        group the way it has been. It's easy enough to
        filter out e-mails that are not of interest, but
        it would be aytch-ee-double-toothpicks to have to
        keep track of the Yahoo! group and the Facebook
        messages.

        Slán,

        Mo!
        --
        <http://xri.net/=mobang>
      • beckieboo817
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
          Did anybody read the initial email that started this round of messages? All she said was she created an event page on Facebook for Costume College. There was nothing said about doing away with the yahoo group or moving everything to Facebook, that was someone's interpretation of the message. My interpretation of the initial message was, Hey, guys, if you're on facebook, go friend us because we now have an event page over there. Nothing more, nothing less. They had one there last year for CoCo 2010. The event page on Facebook is used as an interest generator to get people interested in attending Costume College. As Elizabeth tried to point out, the group is not doing away with the yahoo group, nor are they doing away with the paper form for those of us who still enjoy the feel of paper in our hands (I'm one of them because it just gets hard for me to look at the computer screen for hours on end).

          So, don't worry, the yahoo group is not going away, nor is the facebook "event" page going to take away the role of the yahoo group. And yes, there will probably be conversation that go off topic so we'll have to filter what we want to read on the yahoo group.

          So, who's going to Costume College and what are you making for it? Myself, I want to do a couple of Edwardian outfits plus a couple of jackets and shirts for my husband and one Artistic Reform Dress. We'll see what I get done.

          --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Mo! Langdon <maureen@...> wrote:

          > At 6:05 PM -0800 1/17/11, LoraleePage wrote:
          >
          > >While I have not seen anything official about
          > >abandoning our yahoo group which has been
          > >serving us well, at least one poster has
          > >expressed the hope/ expectation that the CoCo
          > >chat would move over to FB.
          > >  I would like to see the yahoo group continue
          > >as it has, as a place to chat, share AND receive
          > >official CGW notices and CoCo info. As CGW has
          > >chosen to ADD FB, fine-( that caters to a
          > >different group.)  I would like to see it as
          > >policy for the yahoo group to remain in use as
          > >it has. ( if it becomes policy to use both,
          > >fine. Just please do not curtail announcements
          > >through yahoo.)
          >
          > I agree with Loralee.
          >
          > I definitely vote for keeping the the Yahoo!
          > group the way it has been. It's easy enough to
          > filter out e-mails that are not of interest, but
          > it would be aytch-ee-double-toothpicks to have to
          > keep track of the Yahoo! group and the Facebook
          > messages.
          >
          > Slán,
          >

          > Mo!
          > --
          > <http://xri.net/=mobang>

        • Christine Taylor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
            Thanks for the voice of reason!

            Christine

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
              Yes, I read it.  And you are right that it only announced the page.  ( please see my post.)

              It was in the replies that an individual suggested that the conversations about Coco go there.  and it is to that end that I am asking that yahoo, or both, be used for official announcements.  It seems like reason to me.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:44 AM, "beckieboo817" <rebecca8175@...> wrote:

              Did anybody read the initial email that started this round of messages? All she said was she created an event page on Facebook for Costume College. There was nothing said about doing away with the yahoo group or moving everything to Facebook, that was someone's interpretation of the message. My interpretation of the initial message was, Hey, guys, if you're on facebook, go friend us because we now have an event page over there. Nothing more, nothing less. They had one there last year for CoCo 2010. The event page on Facebook is used as an interest generator to get people interested in attending Costume College. As Elizabeth tried to point out, the group is not doing away with the yahoo group, nor are they doing away with the paper form for those of us who still enjoy the feel of paper in our hands (I'm one of them because it just gets hard for me to look at the computer screen for hours on end).

              So, don't worry, the yahoo group is not going away, nor is the facebook "event" page going to take away the role of the yahoo group. And yes, there will probably be conversation that go off topic so we'll have to filter what we want to read on the yahoo group.

              So, who's going to Costume College and what are you making for it? Myself, I want to do a couple of Edwardian outfits plus a couple of jackets and shirts for my husband and one Artistic Reform Dress. We'll see what I get done.

              --- In CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com, Mo! Langdon <maureen@...> wrote:

              > At 6:05 PM -0800 1/17/11, LoraleePage wrote:
              >
              > >While I have not seen anything official about
              > >abandoning our yahoo group which has been
              > >serving us well, at least one poster has
              > >expressed the hope/ expectation that the CoCo
              > >chat would move over to FB.
              > >  I would like to see the yahoo group continue
              > >as it has, as a place to chat, share AND receive
              > >official CGW notices and CoCo info. As CGW has
              > >chosen to ADD FB, fine-( that caters to a
              > >different group.)  I would like to see it as
              > >policy for the yahoo group to remain in use as
              > >it has. ( if it becomes policy to use both,
              > >fine. Just please do not curtail announcements
              > >through yahoo.)
              >
              > I agree with Loralee.
              >
              > I definitely vote for keeping the the Yahoo!
              > group the way it has been. It's easy enough to
              > filter out e-mails that are not of interest, but
              > it would be aytch-ee-double-toothpicks to have to
              > keep track of the Yahoo! group and the Facebook
              > messages.
              >
              > Slán,
              >

              > Mo!
              > --
              > <http://xri.net/=mobang>

            • Carl Zwanzig
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
                On 1/18/2011 7:57 AM, LoraleePage wrote:
                > It was in the replies that an individual suggested that the conversations
                > about Coco go there. and it is to that end that I am asking that yahoo,
                > or both, be used for official announcements. It seems like reason to
                > me.

                Some people -really- like FB (and maybe even think it's the whole of the
                Internet, sigh), but we should still encourage folks to use the yahoo group
                for conversations of interest to more than immediate friends. This is for
                the very simple reason that basically anyone with net access and -any- email
                account can participate, not just FB members (thus it's more inclusive).
                Granted, there are lots of folks with FB accounts, but it's still a subset
                of the whole.

                Also, it's happened that an announcement is posted on FB, discussion ensues
                their, an authority clarifies a point, and that last bit doesn't make it out
                past FB. You practically have to have a person to monitor the FB group to
                make sure that info escapes to the greater world.

                z!
                not on FB
                back to lurking
              • nightheron@pacbell.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
                  Not that there has been consideration to abandon the yahoo group at all as far as I know, but I also hope CGW stays with this form of communication. Facebook is too hit and miss. It requires you to basically specifically check that particular like page or friend page each day so as not to miss anything (like an event notification or important news about costume con for example), which I can never remember to do. Newsfeed is not reliable, and I don't check into facebook all the time anyway because I don't have time.

                  With Yahoo groups, the news comes to me via e-mail which I always must check.

                  If anything, I can imagine FB being an additional means of communication, I just don't think it is effective as a primary means of communication to group members.

                  - Kathy

                  On 1/17/2011 10:37 PM, Mo! Langdon wrote:

                  At 6:05 PM -0800 1/17/11, LoraleePage wrote:

                  >While I have not seen anything official about
                  >abandoning our yahoo group which has been
                  >serving us well, at least one poster has
                  >expressed the hope/ expectation that the CoCo
                  >chat would move over to FB.
                  >  I would like to see the yahoo group continue
                  >as it has, as a place to chat, share AND receive
                  >official CGW notices and CoCo info.

                • Colleen Crosby
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2011
                    Hey everybody!

                    I'm glad to see that so many people like the Yahoo Group! Yay!!!!

                    I'm one of the administrators for the Yahoo Group, and I'm also one of the people that sets up some of the Facebook pages.

                    Facebook is a great place to spread the word about some of our wonderful events, including Costume College. It's an excellent form of advertising to people that haven't joined the Yahoo Group yet. It's also a fun way for people who are attending an event to see SOME of the other people that are going. It is not the official way to sign up for anything, nor is it the best way for us to get important info to our members.

                    I just want to reiterate that the board of CGW and Costume College Committee don't have plans to stop posting to the Yahoo Group. Nor do we have plans to stop using Squeals or any of our other methods of communication.