3573Re: [CGWcostumers] Hi! quick intro and question

  • Mary Llewellyn
    Jul 1, 2014
      Hello, Avril! Welcome aboard! I look forward to meeting you at CoCo next month.

      Re: selling your costumes, ads are free on good old Craigslist (www.craigslist.org).  I have sold things there - not costumes, specifically, but other stuff - and it was a pretty painless experience.
      There's only minimal buyer or seller protection on Craigslist, though, compared to eBay. Protect yourself by doing the following:
      - Don't put your phone number, physical address, or email address in the text body of your ad. The Craigslist ad form has places for that info, but they relay it through a temporary address to protect your privacy.
      - State in your ad that you only accept payment in cash, or for large sums (in case you're selling a $1000 costume), a cashier's check or U.S postal money order.
      - Arrange to meet your customer in a public place, such as your nearest Starbucks, the local post office or library, etc. Don't have your buyer come to your house!
      - For your safety, tell a friend when and where you plan to meet your customer, and arrange to call your friend after the transaction is finished.

      That said, I've had only good experiences selling on Craigslist. I haven't been ripped off yet, and meeting buyers in a public place has not proven to be a problem for anything I've sold. (I've never sold anything that wasn't at least vaguely portable. Selling a jacuzzi, a king-size bed, or a stuffed rhinoceros would be a different story!)

      And I'll email you off list for details about those costumes, because now I'm curious.  :-)

      Hope this helps!  See you in a month!
      Mary

      Mary Llewellyn
      Transportation and Tours
      Costume College 2014

      On Jul 1, 2014, at 7:02 AM, "gelflinggal@... [CGWcostumers]" <CGWcostumers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi everyone. My name is Avril. I just joined last month, at the suggestion of a good friend, and this is my first post (had some free time).Let me say that I look forward to learning new things, making new friends ;), and being a part of something bigger than my little spot on the map.Now for the question:I would like to get rid of some costumes. Do any of you have some suggestions (besides ebay, sorry) on where I could possibly list them for free? Or low cost (this is why I said other than ebay :) )Again, I look forward to meeting everyone (in time). And thank you for taking time to respond to my post!Respectfully,Avril

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic