Re: Comparison of CG5 mounts

  • macason1945
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2012
      It was about 6 months ago I did the PECtool training after going through many days of searching various forums for just the question you have asked. The one constant was that PEC works on the new Celestron CG5 and that Celestron will not confirm the info. After reading many forums individuals that did the average of 7 to 10 PEC's had the best results. Since the full moon was out it was the perfect time to do PEC training. Ten runs, then averaged in the laptop, then saved to the mount memory. You need the most current firmware to PEC to the motor memory board.

      The mount is very stable even on windy days - but with the everything on the nexstar 5 optic I'm less than 15 lbs.

      Sorry I can't confirm my sources but it is out there if you want to spend the time reading forums until you are brain dead. I think the mount is a great first mount to see if you want to get into astro imaging. Just remember that 50% of the mounts ratings = a stable mount = 15 lbs. You can go higher but everything I have read means extra weights, no wind, and a lot of balancing work.