Is there anybody there?

  • pawel.lancucki@pl.pwcglobal.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
      Hi, I have just joined this group. I use CG-5 (new wersion with ball
      bearings). I have already cleaned the mount internally and polished
      aluminum bearing surfaces as described on the Jeff de Tray web page
      (AstronomyBoy). I am planning to replace clear plastic washers with
      ones custom-made from 0,5 mm Teflon tape - lets see the improvement!
      I am also fiddling with the drive electronics - will post some
      details in the future!

      Hope there are some other users... to talk to :-).

      Regards,

      Pawel Lancucki
    • Li Jie
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
        yup ..
        are you talking about the G5 from celestron? if not, can you
        please explain which telescope you are using? for me, i have
        terrible experiences with the G5s CG-4 mount. Whenever i track,
        the counterweight has a tendency of hitting the tripod .. thats
        why i change the latitude adjuster to a higher latitude

        --- pawel.lancucki@... wrote:
        > Hi, I have just joined this group. I use CG-5 (new wersion
        > with ball
        > bearings). I have already cleaned the mount internally and
        > polished
        > aluminum bearing surfaces as described on the Jeff de Tray web
        > page
        > (AstronomyBoy). I am planning to replace clear plastic washers
        > with
        > ones custom-made from 0,5 mm Teflon tape - lets see the
        > improvement!
        > I am also fiddling with the drive electronics - will post some
        >
        > details in the future!
        >
        > Hope there are some other users... to talk to :-).
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Pawel Lancucki

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====
        =lijie=
        *clear skies*
        tel# (+65)7540832
        Year: 2001
        =||= Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [1] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • pawel.lancucki@pl.pwcglobal.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
          --- In CG5@y..., Li Jie <wonglijie@y...> wrote:
          > yup ..
          > are you talking about the G5 from celestron? if not, can you
          > please explain which telescope you are using? for me, i have
          > terrible experiences with the G5s CG-4 mount. Whenever i track,
          > the counterweight has a tendency of hitting the tripod .. thats
          > why i change the latitude adjuster to a higher latitude

          No, I mean CG-5 mount, which is a "next step" from CG-4, but all the
          same rules apply. I may not experience your problem because:

          1) CG-5 may be different
          2) I live at 52 deg North.

          I am not sure what exactly is your problem, using GEM (German
          Equatorial Mount) you will always hit the tripod with tube, but not
          always with counterweight.

          If it is the shaft, than probably the mount was not designed to be
          operated at your latitude :-(. If it is the counterweight, you could
          try to swap it for a lighter one, which will be located further from
          the mount head (although moving conterweight further makes the scope
          more sensitive to vibrations).

          Let me know more details, so I may be able to help.

          Pawel
        • Li Jie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
            icic ... is it fun living at such a high latitude?
            is the cg-5 good? does it have a pier? mine doesnt, maybe thats
            why mine will hit the tripod. i also think mine is not designed
            for use at lower latitudes

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
              --- In CG5@y..., Li Jie <wonglijie@y...> wrote:
              > icic ... is it fun living at such a high latitude?
              > is the cg-5 good? does it have a pier? mine doesnt, maybe thats
              > why mine will hit the tripod. i also think mine is not designed
              > for use at lower latitudes

              Difficult to say, the Polaris is quite high and there are many
              circumpolar constelations. On the other hand, some nice sights (like
              Scorpio and Sagittarius) are always low in the south, and are
              difficult to catch. Based on my experience from holidays, I would
              prefer to observe being around 30 - 40 north :-).

              In terms of CG-5 - it is not bad, can carry up to 8 - 10 kg but you
              need to spend at least a number of evenings to make it usable - check
              the AstronomyBoy web page. Factory purchased, it is equipped with a
              flimsy and poor alu tripod which should be replaced by wooden or
              pier. For good piers, check Orion Telescopes from UK (there is
              another group regarding Orion telescopes) - there are descriptions of
              original Vixen mounts and various Orion - made accesories. On the
              orion telescopes group there is a lot of discussion about these
              mounts.

              If you are tight on budget, go for CG-5 (new wersion with ball
              bearings) but be prepared to spend some time with it! Otherwise, I
              would recommend Vixen GP (up to 7kg) or GP-DX (up to 10kg) - they are
              more expensive but better build and smoother in use.

              Regards,

              Pawel
            • Li Jie
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
                is it fun having circumpolar constellations? wont you get to
                master the constellations that way and you can know them by
                heart more easily that way right?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 7, 2001
                  Well, while "below" Polaris the visibility may not be good due to the haze
                  near horizon. Anyway, Southern sky seems more interesting - there are not
                  that many interesting objects near the North Celestial Pole. Where do you
                  live?

                  Regards,

                  Pawel
                  computer.
                • Li Jie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8, 2001
                    singapore

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                      Well,

                      I live in Poland, Europe. Not a dream place for astronomers - dense
                      population, too much light pollution, high percentage of cloudy
                      nights (well, otherwise I would have to guit my job ... ;-) ).

                      Pawel
                    • Li Jie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                        whats your job?

                        --- pawel.lancucki@... wrote:
                        > Well,
                        >
                        > I live in Poland, Europe. Not a dream place for astronomers - dense
                        > population, too much light pollution, high percentage of cloudy
                        > nights (well, otherwise I would have to guit my job ... ;-) ).
                        >
                        > Pawel

                        =====
                        =lijie=
                        *clear skies*
                        tel# (+65)7540832
                        Year: 2001 windows for dummies-> Ctrl-C = copy

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                          Business consultant - not much time left for observations - instead, a lot
                          of "armchair" astronomy (reading books and magazines). Still at least 2
                          nights a month are a must!

                          Pawel
                          computer.
                        • Li Jie