Polar Finderscope

  • haakon_skaane
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
      Just bought a CS-8 SGT with CG-5 mount. I also bought a Celestron polar finderscope for CG-5 (Part No. 94224.) However, when I look more closely at the rear of the mount's polar housing, I can't quite see how the polar finderscope fits. There are already three adjustment screws there and it looks like a much thinner scope is to be inserted directly. Do I have the wrong finderscope?

      Regards
    • larryc7856@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        You need to remove a piece from the back of the mount. take out the three adjustment screws and use channel lock plirs to unscrew tis piece then your polar scope will screw in where this piece came out.

        --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@...> wrote:

        > Just bought a CS-8 SGT with CG-5 mount. I also bought a Celestron polar finderscope for CG-5 (Part No. 94224.) However, when I look more closely at the rear of the mount's polar housing, I can't quite see how the polar finderscope fits. There are already three adjustment screws there and it looks like a much thinner scope is to be inserted directly. Do I have the wrong finderscope?
        >
        > Regards

      • haakon_skaane
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
          Many thanks. Worked when I used more force.

          Regards,

          --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "larryc7856@..." <larryc7856@...> wrote:

          > You need to remove a piece from the back of the mount. take out the three adjustment screws and use channel lock plirs to unscrew tis piece then your polar scope will screw in where this piece came out.
          >
          > --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just bought a CS-8 SGT with CG-5 mount. I also bought a Celestron polar finderscope for CG-5 (Part No. 94224.) However, when I look more closely at the rear of the mount's polar housing, I can't quite see how the polar finderscope fits. There are already three adjustment screws there and it looks like a much thinner scope is to be inserted directly. Do I have the wrong finderscope?
          > >
          > > Regards

        • Glenn W
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
            I have a question about the polar finder scope. Is there no way to turn the image of the big dipper/ncp/cassiopeia without turing the entire scope on it's RA/DEC axis? It seems like you should be able to rotate it correctly to make moving the mount easier without having the scope in a weird position to get the images lined up correctly.

            Glenn

            --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@...> wrote:

            > Many thanks. Worked when I used more force.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "larryc7856@" <larryc7856@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You need to remove a piece from the back of the mount. take out the three adjustment screws and use channel lock plirs to unscrew tis piece then your polar scope will screw in where this piece came out.
            > >
            > > --- In CG5@yahoogroups.com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Just bought a CS-8 SGT with CG-5 mount. I also bought a Celestron polar finderscope for CG-5 (Part No. 94224.) However, when I look more closely at the rear of the mount's polar housing, I can't quite see how the polar finderscope fits. There are already three adjustment screws there and it looks like a much thinner scope is to be inserted directly. Do I have the wrong finderscope?
            > > >
            > > > Regards

          • Christopher Erickson
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
              That is how the scope is designed.

              -Christopher Erickson
              Network Design Engineer
              Waikoloa Village, HI 96738
              N19°57' W155°47'
              Meade 16" LX200 SCT
              www.data-plumber.com

            • edward magowan
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
                Glenn, rotating the mount in RA to line up those constellations ensures that when you position Polaris, the mount is at the correct RA for Polaris.  If you rotate the polar finderscope, you could still get Polaris into that little circle but be pointed well away from the actual pole.
                If I interpret your email address correctly, I envy your skies.  I visited Las Cruces years ago.  A friend and I drove to the (Organpipe??) mountains. I was blown away.

                I have a question about the polar finder scope. Is there no way to turn the image of the big dipper/ncp/cassiope ia without turing the entire scope on it's RA/DEC axis? It seems like you should be able to rotate it correctly to make moving the mount easier without having the scope in a weird position to get the images lined up correctly.

                Glenn

                --- In CG5@yahoogroups. com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@ ...> wrote:

                > Many thanks. Worked when I used more force.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > --- In CG5@yahoogroups. com, "larryc7856@ " <larryc7856@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > You need to remove a piece from the back of the mount. take out the three adjustment screws and use channel lock plirs to unscrew tis piece then your polar scope will screw in where this piece came out.
                > >
                > > --- In CG5@yahoogroups. com, "haakon_skaane" <haakon_skaane@ > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Just bought a CS-8 SGT with CG-5 mount. I also bought a Celestron polar finderscope for CG-5 (Part No. 94224.) However, when I look more closely at the rear of the mount's polar housing, I can't quite see how the polar finderscope fits. There are already three adjustment screws there and it looks like a much thinner scope is to be inserted directly. Do I have the wrong finderscope?
                > > >
                > > > Regards

              • sidwalkastronomy
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010
                  I have a polar finder scope for my CG-5 and I ahve circles no constellations. Do I just have an older model? mike