Re: How many mR/hr are Harmful ?

  • Jim Kostka
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
      clarification

      > Estimates average for general public in the US is 365 mRem from
      > background, natural sources, fallout, medical use, etc. (this is
      not
      > true for you CDV'ers who keep hot items in you house)
      > The average badged radiation worker in the US might receive an
      > additional 300 mRem from their occupation.

      These numbers should be read as mRem per year.....

      supporting material = video "Radiation Safety and Common Sense"
      written and presented by John W. Duley.. Radiological Training
      Services, P.O. Box 288, 6538 Koziara Drive, Burke, Virginia 22015
      (703) 455-3031.

      there are quite a few places in my last posting that are supported by
      Mr. Duley tape series.... so I guess I owe him a plug.... I highly
      recommend his three tapes on Basic Training for Radiation..(do cost
      $$) Instead of myself spending 6-8 hours training new hires in basic
      radiation concepts, I let them watch three of John Duleys tapes and
      take a quiz I made for each tape to verify comprehension.
      Get the tapes from Mr. Duley. Email me if you want the quizzes...

      jim kostka
    • dax@linet.it
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
        Hi Nukenook, im always readings the Cdv-700 forum!

        I know the Fiesta dinnerware, i discovered it this summer on Internet
        Site,but don't exist Out of Usa.A photo show the readings of a geiger
        counter give about 3 mR/hr.I don't like to eat inside…

        Im thinking to winning an Ebay Auction for fiestaware… but im just
        waiting an CDV700 won hope will arrive to me without problem for
        the "check source" why have so strong source?

        Also i have see the marvel effects of Uranium Glass (or Vaseline
        Glass) myself,with very old Glass using a backlight (Called here in
        Italy Wood's Light).The geiger counter don't "see" the item
        radioactive…i think for very low quantity of Uranium inside.

        Im always hunting around to found something of "cool" ehm… hot! ;-)
        Davide
      • dax@linet.it
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hi Jim ! Many thanks for write me the numbers of exposition.

          Make this example :
          My Father have an very old Rolex watch with Radio Painted dials.
          On the dial face my Geiger show 3 mR/hr, but on the other side only
          0.3 mR/hr.

          0.3 mR/hr x 8 hours and x 365 days = 876 mRem.

          The limits for hands you writed are 50,000 mRem for years , and a
          watch are only 876, so remain 49,124 mRem are correct ?

          If so are right my father can wear others 57 watch at same time heheh.

          Here in Italy i don't found nothing to help me, so i'll accept the
          Americans dose Level ;-))

          Greetings,
          Davide.
        • Jim Kostka
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
            --- In CDV700CLUB@egroups.com, dax@l... wrote:
            > Hi Jim ! Many thanks for write me the numbers of exposition.
            >
            > Make this example :
            > My Father have an very old Rolex watch with Radio Painted dials.
            > On the dial face my Geiger show 3 mR/hr, but on the other side only
            > 0.3 mR/hr.
            >
            > 0.3 mR/hr x 8 hours and x 365 days = 876 mRem.
            >
            > The limits for hands you writed are 50,000 mRem for years , and a
            > watch are only 876, so remain 49,124 mRem are correct ?
            >
            > If so are right my father can wear others 57 watch at same time
            heheh.

            > Here in Italy i don't found nothing to help me, so i'll accept the
            > Americans dose Level ;-))
            >
            > Greetings,

            off course your dad probably wears his watch 16 hours a day only
            taking it off to go to bed and shower.... so he might get 1752
            mRem/yr. then again this is NOT occupational dose and the US NRC
            doesn't care about none occupation dose. Maybe he can wear 28 more
            watches 16 hours each day!!!!

            jim k
          • nukenook@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
              Hi, Jim-interested in more info on your quiz. This shop does a great deal of
              training during the course of a year and I'm always on the lookout for a
              better mouse trap. Perhaps we could trade training goodies.

              Nukenook the inquisitive
            • nukenook@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2000
                Howdy, Davide! My father had a watch that was issued to him by the Army in
                1943 and he wore it every day until it went west sometime in the mid-70's.
                With a Vic 700 that dude cranks roughly 10 mR/hr (and still does-I use it for
                training).

                The joke around our house was that it is a wonder that my brother and I
                weren't born with tails or two heads, or something...

                I should mention that this shop uses Cs137 for calibration of survey
                instruments. Iowa prohibits the possession of any form of Radium by
                unlicensed users with one glaring exception-illuminated dial faces.
              • Rob Hooper
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 14, 2000
                  --- In CDV700CLUB@egroups.com, "Jim Kostka" <jkostka@j...> wrote:
                  > clarification
                  >
                  >>>SNIP<<<<
                  > radiation concepts, I let them watch three of John Duleys tapes and
                  > take a quiz I made for each tape to verify comprehension.
                  > Get the tapes from Mr. Duley. Email me if you want the quizzes...
                  >
                  > jim kostka

                  Jim:

                  Would you mind sending me a copy of your quizes?
                  Thanks much.

                  Regards,
                  Rob Hooper, CSP
                  robhooper@...
                • Eric Kodner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 17, 2000
                    Hi,

                    Anyone know anything about the calibration sources that used to be included
                    with the AN/PDR-27F Radiac Set that the Navy issued around 1953? The manual
                    says that the "Radioactive Test Sample consists of a five-inch long, 13/32
                    inch diameter plastic tube containing 7 micrograms of Radium". The manual
                    further warns that "serious skin and internal burns may result if the test
                    sample is held close to the skin for prolonged periods".

                    The guy that I bought my Radiac set from told me that the Navy pulled these
                    plastic "straws" out of most of the radiac sets before de-commissioning
                    them. The part number for the sample is MX1083B/PDR-27 and the Navy stock
                    number is F16-C-14241-1210. My radiac set didn't have one and I have never
                    encountered anyone who has one of these calibration samples.

                    Does anyone among our group own one of these samples? Is it really that
                    dangerous to have a 7-microgram sample of Ra-226? I thought that smoke
                    detectors contained an amount of Americium equivalent to 1 microgram.

                    Eric

                    http://profiles.msn.com
                  • J. Marshall Reber
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 17, 2000
                      Ah, the ways of the government are marvelous to behold!

                      The government has been quite precise in designating PDR-27 components, e.g.

                      MX-1083B contains 7 micro-grams  of Ra-226
                      MX-1083C contains 7 micro-curies of Ra-226
                      MX-7738  contains 5 milli-curies of Kr-85

                      but heaven forbid any of the surplus material should be sold to an American citizen.  Foreigners, however, are a different matter.  Equipment provided to our allies, of course, is no longer under such strict control and thus the radioactive sources were not necessarily removed when they surplussed the equipment.  Find a foreign surplus supplier as the most likely source for a U.S. made source!!  They are out there - - - to paraphrase a popular TV show slogan!

                      A similar situation exists for War Airplanes.  A citizen cannot purchase one in this country;  however, nothing prevents him from purchasing one abroad, if available.  I belong to a professional society for Aeronautics and Astronautics which has a quite well-to-do member who collects WWII bombers, such as a B-24, a B-17, a B-29 etc.  Such planes all had to be purchased, mostly in parts, from foreign allies.  He then was able to reassemble them back here without any problem.  I suppose this does reduce the probability that any Joe Schmoe can quickly buy a bomber and make a run on the government.  It's probably easier to buy nuclear weapons on the international black market!

                    • nukenook@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 20, 2000
                        The army also used the AN/PDR27 (never even painted over the Navy gray).
                        Some years ago when I was still in the word went out to pull all test probes
                        because some of the early probes were simply painted with radium paint, while
                        later ones had a glass ampule which was extremely subject to breakage. There
                        are some real horror stories out there about those old probes.

                        Nukenook the Retired
                        (LTC. CM)
                      • nukenook@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 20, 2000
                          Hope our buddy in Italy gets to see the Davis-Montham airplane park outside
                          of Tuscon(?). While stationed at Fort Huachuca one way to enjoyably waste a
                          weekend was to drive past all those wonderful rows of aircraft...P-51
                          Mustangs next to B-57's next to B-25's next to...God, it was great!!
                        • dax@linet.it
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 21, 2000
                            --- In CDV700CLUB@egroups.com, nukenook@a... wrote:
                            > Hope our buddy in Italy gets to see the Davis-Montham airplane park
                            outside
                            > of Tuscon(?). While stationed at Fort Huachuca one way to
                            enjoyably waste a
                            > weekend was to drive past all those wonderful rows of aircraft...P-
                            51
                            > Mustangs next to B-57's next to B-25's next to...God, it was great!!

                            I dont' know this place (Davis Montham ??) in Tuscon (Toscana?).
                            Toscana is "near" Lazio Region,but i live in Rome.
                            Davide.
                          • nukenook@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 22, 2000
                              Forgive me, Davide. I was referring to a US Airforce base in the state of
                              Arizona, east of the city of Tucson which is in the southern part of the
                              state.

                              If you have any interest in aviation, this is a wonderful place due to the
                              vast number of old (and not so old) US military aircraft lined up in row
                              after row. You can see rows of B-52 bombers lined up next to rows of old
                              B-25 bombers lined up next to rows of P-51 Mustang fighter aircraft, ad
                              infinitum. Almost better than the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. (although
                              really nothing can beat the Smithsonian for it's wealth of exhibits-the only
                              drawback is that you have to fight your way to the front door through hordes
                              of man-eating lawyers/lobbyists...). Enjoy your trip!!
                            • dax@linet.it
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 22, 2000
                                --- In CDV700CLUB@egroups.com, nukenook@a... wrote:
                                > Forgive me, Davide. I was referring to a US Airforce base in the
                                state of
                                > Arizona, east of the city of Tucson which is in the southern part
                                of the
                                > state.
                                >
                                > If you have any interest in aviation, this is a wonderful place due
                                to the
                                > vast number of old (and not so old) US military aircraft lined up
                                in row
                                > after row. You can see rows of B-52 bombers lined up next to rows
                                of old
                                > B-25 bombers lined up next to rows of P-51 Mustang fighter
                                aircraft, ad
                                > infinitum. Almost better than the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.
                                (although
                                > really nothing can beat the Smithsonian for it's wealth of exhibits-
                                the only
                                > drawback is that you have to fight your way to the front door
                                through hordes
                                > of man-eating lawyers/lobbyists...). Enjoy your trip!!

                                Okey!,my brother have interest in aviation because he was studing to
                                be an Pilot.
                                See you soon,
                                Davide.