Re: [CDV700CLUB] Re: Visi-Len/koff/civdef2002 Again

  • Chris Smolinski
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      In a high school English class (20+ years ago, can it be that long ago?)
      we had to demonstrate how to do something. One of my friends decided to
      demo how to reload shells. You can imagine what would happen today if a
      student decided to do that. I think he got an A for his presentation.

      As it turns out, the Lionel CDV700 I have is one I got from my HD physics
      teacher, in trade for a box of ten floppy disks. He did actually use it a
      little, I remember he had a piece of fiestaware for demo purposes.

      ---
      Chris Smolinski
      Black Cat Systems
      http://www.blackcatsystems.com/
      Macintosh Software
      GM-10 Radiation detection system

      On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Jay Boggess wrote:

      > Unfortunately, I can understand where civdef2002's cynicism comes
      > from. After all, we are talking about school administrators tasked
      > to enforce ZERO TOLERANCE (translated: no common sense) rules for
      > drugs and weapons. To that end that have suspended/expelled kids
      > whose mom's accidentally left a paring knife in a lunchbox or who
      > brought one of GI Joe's little M1 Garand rifles to school...
      >
      > In 1977, as a extra credit experiment in Chem class, I wanted to
      > fractionally distill something, so I choose two 7-oz bottles of
      > Genesse Cream Ale. My mom bought it and brought it into the chem lab
      > for me, I ran it thru the fractionating column (after first driving
      > off all the foam) and got about 10 ml of something that boiled at the
      > temperature of ethyl alcohol (boy did the lab smell like a brewery
      > after that!). One wonders how quickly I'd be suspended if I tried
      > that today.
      >
      > jay
      >

      > Community email addresses:
      > Post message: CDV700CLUB@onelist.com
      > Subscribe: CDV700CLUB-subscribe@onelist.com
      >
      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > http://www.onelist.com/community/CDV700CLUB

    • Tracy Albert
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003

        In my Freshman High School Year I Talked my way into a Machine Tool Class. I had always been interested in Metal Working as my grandfather had a nice Shop With Lathes, Mills, Forges and such. My 2nd Semester Final Project was a working 0.45 cal working black Powder Cannon. We fired it behind the school parking lot with a paper towel Wadding. I got an A on the Project. and I still have the cannon Today, It was my First. Shock Wave Is 100 Cal My latest and has Several Bookings this summer. Including Camp Timbers, The Boy Scout Camp. Best To all, Tracy

         Chris Smolinski <bcs@...> wrote:

        In a high school English class (20+ years ago, can it be that long ago?)
        we had to demonstrate how to do something. One of my friends decided to
        demo how to reload shells. You can imagine what would happen today if a
        student decided to do that. I think he got an A for his presentation.

        As it turns out, the Lionel CDV700 I have is one I got from my HD physics
        teacher, in trade for a box of ten floppy disks. He did actually use it a
        little, I remember he had a piece of fiestaware for demo purposes.

        ---
        Chris Smolinski
        Black Cat Systems
        http://www.blackcatsystems.com/
        Macintosh Software
        GM-10 Radiation detection system

        On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Jay Boggess wrote:

        > Unfortunately, I can understand where civdef2002's cynicism comes
        > from.  After all, we are talking about school administrators tasked
        > to enforce ZERO TOLERANCE (translated: no common sense) rules for
        > drugs and weapons.  To that end that have suspended/expelled kids
        > whose mom's accidentally left a paring knife in a lunchbox or who
        > brought one of GI Joe's little M1 Garand rifles to school...
        >
        > In 1977, as a extra credit experiment in Chem class, I wanted to
        > fractionally distill something, so I choose two 7-oz bottles of
        > Genesse Cream Ale.  My mom bought it and brought it into the chem lab
        > for me, I ran it thru the fractionating column (after first driving
        > off all the foam) and got about 10 ml of something that boiled at the
        > temperature of ethyl alcohol (boy did the lab smell like a brewery
        > after that!).   One wonders how quickly I'd be suspended if I tried
        > that today.
        >
        > jay
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        >   Post message: CDV700CLUB@onelist.com