Re: CD V-700M , a mystery...

  • cdvtripleseven
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
      The cdv 700Ms that the Texas Department of Health has in their office
      have a modified power supply for the different tube. I will call them
      and ask them about it. The technician described it to me and opened
      the case on one and showed it to me. It was and extra small circuit
      board in the case mounted alongside and perpindicular to the main
      board.
      --- In CDV700CLUB@y..., "K0FF" <K0FF@A...> wrote:
      > > > It was intended for
      > > > detection of radioiodine. But I don't know anything
      > > > more about this
      > > > unit.
      >

      > All I could find is a reference to it having an end-window probe,
      and
      > the OCD-P-108 part number does not cross any where I've looked.
      There
      > are a number of QPL ( Quality Product List) end-window probes,
      5979,
      > 7616,and 7840. From the apparant size, the 7840 looks like a good
      > bet. None of those are 900V tubes, so if the counter power supply
      is
      > not modified, and still provides 900 V, perhaps they used one of
      the
      > commercial 900V end-window tubes instead.
      >

      > Have Fun
      >
      > George Dowell
    • K0FF
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In CDV700CLUB@y..., "cdvtripleseven" <cdmuseum@a...> wrote:
        > The cdv 700Ms that the Texas Department of Health has in their
        office
        > have a modified power supply for the different tube. .

        OK on the modified power supply.

        > There are a number of QPL ( Quality Product List) end-window
        probes,
        5979 (700V),
        7616 (760 V) ,and 7840 (1400V) . From the apparant size, the 7840
        looks like a good
        bet. None of those are 900V tubes, so if the counter power

        Listed are some links that will help ID the tube further, and give
        the voltages it reequires

        http://www.lndinc.com/gm/qpl/5979.htm

        http://www.lndinc.com/gm/qpl/7616.htm

        http://www.lndinc.com/gm/qpl/7840.htm

        If it happens not to be a QPL tube, this link may help ID the
        commmercail versions.

        http://www.lndinc.com/gm/gmend.htm

        I'm wondering now if the 700M is a real CD designation, or an after
        market modification by someone? The probe looks plenty official in
        the photos.

        Have Fun

        George Dowell
      • kubric2002
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
          Daniel et. al.,

          The CD V-700M is a modification of the CD V-700. The modification is
          the replacement of the original G-M probe with a new probe that uses
          an end-window G-M tube. The modification allows for a much better
          survey for contamination. Additionally, the window is very thin and
          allows the G-M tube to detect alpha particles. The window should be
          within 1/2 inch of the source to detect alpha radiation. Incidently,
          the CD V-700M G-M counters are calibrated in counts/minute not
          mR/hr. The G-M tube has a much bigger volume than the 6993 G-M tube
          used in the original probe.

          Yours for a safe radiological environment,

          Kubric

          --- In CDV700CLUB@y..., "killian_sk" <pace@s...> wrote:
          > Pictures of the CD V-700 are here>
          > http://radiation.szm.com/Images/27ae2d90.jpg
          > http://radiation.szm.com/Images/27ce2d80.jpg
          >
          > It was intended for
          > detection of radioiodine. But I don't know anything more about this
          > unit.
          > Only, that it's very rare and I have never seen it on Ebay or
          > somewhere else.
          > Do you something about this unit (or probe).
          > Is it a normal probe added to an CD V-700, or does Civil Defense
          made
          > them ?
          > The CD V-700M is really a strange unit. I couldn't find any
          > information
          > about it.
          >
          > PS. I found the photos on an old RADEF page, that doesn't exist now.
          >

          > Best regards!
          > Daniel
        • W5CDT
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2002
            I've got three of the CDV700M's up and running.
            I traded a couple of the end window probes for
            some photomultipliers, etc. They make nice prospecting
            instruments. Just be careful not to puncture that mica end
            window on a cactus!

            -Charlie
            W5CDT