Re: [CDV700CLUB] Neon lamp as a detector?

  • J. Marshall Reber
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
      ??? I clicked on the reference and got the design for a "deboo"
      integrator?!?!
    • Rick Mangione
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
        Scroll down
        -Rick

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • J. Marshall Reber
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
          Doh! Scroll?
        • K0FF
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
            but has
            > anyone ever tried this with conclusive results?
            > -Ken

            Ken, this type circuit has been used for a long time as a detector.
            Problem is it is a detector of energy. Not just Radiation, but also
            RF, UV or even stray AC fields. Most anything will set it off. Next
            problem is that the firing voltage of the neon bulb is usually 60
            Volts. Once it is fired, the extinguishing Voltage is only around 40
            Volts. You can see that once it fires, it's hard to turn it off
            again. That difference is the "hysterysis" factor.

            Even though neon can and is used as the ionizing gas in a real GM
            tube, the physical layout of the tube body itself has quite a
            different geometry as compared to a neon bulb. Additionally
            a "quenching" gas is mixed in.

            Will such a circuit detect Gamma rays? You bet. Is it practical,
            probably not.

            PS It DOES make a nifty weak RF sniffer though.

            Have fun,
            George Dowell
          • kb3fkj@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
              what the heck is a deboo????

              joe sherman
            • Frank Kimbler
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
                I think the  guy that built this was sipping on a tad to much of that good German beer. I duplicated his circuit exactly (almost), but I did use an NE2 neon bulb instead of the LMP1 ( generic neon??). No luck on getting it to work.  Based on the formula shown I used a 4k resistor to drop the amps on the 120 side. Tried a a 100 K and a 1 meg and about everything in between on the neon side of the circuit.  Neon bulb will not ignite and the speaker wont click (obviously) . Now I suppose if I crammed the damn thing inside a cobalt 60 source it might glow....but then so would I, so its a mute point.

                I would like to to know if anyone has any luck with this or a neon circuit like it.

                Dr Z

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
                  Frank,

                  I tried the circuit. I was a little suspect of it
                  from the beginning. I used a Fluke 341A voltage calibrator
                  that lets me vary the voltage from zero to one kilovolt
                  in ONE MILLIVOLT steps. Needless to say even with this
                  fine control over the HV I was not able to even get the
                  tube to fire once in the presence of a gamma source.
                  Maybe the guy was using cobalt 60! Or too much beer.

                  -Charlie
                  W5CDT

                  --- In CDV700CLUB@y..., "Frank Kimbler" <fkimbler@a...> wrote:
                  > I think the guy that built this was sipping on a tad to much of
                  that good German beer. I duplicated his circuit exactly (almost), but
                  I did use an NE2 neon bulb instead of the LMP1 ( generic neon??). No
                  luck on getting it to work. Based on the formula shown I used a 4k
                  resistor to drop the amps on the 120 side. Tried a a 100 K and a 1 meg
                  and about everything in between on the neon side of the circuit. Neon
                  bulb will not ignite and the speaker wont click (obviously) . Now I
                  suppose if I crammed the damn thing inside a cobalt 60 source it might
                  glow....but then so would I, so its a mute point.

                  > I would like to to know if anyone has any luck with this or a neon
                  circuit like it.

                  > Dr Z

                  Service.
                • kb3fkj@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
                    maybe he dumped beer on the circuit, the resulting short causing the speaker
                    to click