Anton vs. Electro Nuetronics

  • love2sail4fun
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 2:49 PM
      Hello:

      I am new to the hobby of collecting hot rocks (I recognize a few of
      your names from ebay) and I recently purchased a CDV-700 model 6 by
      Anton that worked great for the first few days and was working fine
      the last time I used it. The next time I turned it on it was dead,
      no needle movement at all, however I could hear the 'clicking' in
      the headset as the probe was held near a radioactive source it was
      very faint however, barely audible. I tried replacing the batteries
      and still nothing except the faint clicking in the headset.

      I have since purchased a model 6b by Electro Nuetronics that has not
      arrived yet and was wondering how the two compare and if there are
      any differences that are worth noting.

      Thank You,

      Steve Harris
      Portland, OR
    • norrad1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 6:03 PM
        Hi, Steve,
        Hey, you should have bought the Anton Model 5 which I recently sold
        on eBay :-) It worked fine, and had a HOT test source! My Anton had
        a great meter movement when tested with a radioactive source, smooth
        and not erratic at all. Only disadvantage is it took 5 batteries.

        Test the things Silvermoon recommended, and don't rule out the meter
        itself. I had a dead meter on a CDV-717. Replaced it and got meter
        movement on battery test. Now if there were only a nearby nuclear
        detonation, so I could test the ion chamber :-)

        Cheers,

        --Norman A.

      • kb3fkj@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 6:31 PM
          Hello,
          Maybe E-N's worked better 40 years ago. Im happy with my victoreen 700 model
          6A. Its worked really well and even had a anton halogen tube in it replacing
          the old one. Did landers,frey and clarke make 700? and what About a chatham
          700? wonder how those rank on the list...

          btw, i am hoping to get a more sensitive meter to replace the 700 for
          collecting. know any good ones?

          Joe Sherman
        • silvermoon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 6:47 PM
            Hi Steve!

            Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear that your Anton has problems, and that
            you've actually bought an E-N... I'd opt for repairing the Anton. The E-N
            counter is very poorly engineered, and will need extensive modification
            before it can hope to possibly work for more than five seconds, let alone
            reliably. The repairs I'm made to E-N's are listed in the archives. The HV
            B+ isn't regulated either well or at all, plus the pulses from the GM tube
            regularly blow the transistors in the metering circuit...
            I was blessed with a new, in the box E-N: It ran for five seconds before
            conking out. Good thing I'm not depending on it!
            The Anton is hopeful: The HV section is working, vis a vis the faint
            clicks. The problem is in the metering circuit. You may have blown a
            transistor there.
            Most folks prefer the Lionel, then Victoreen in that order, and Anton then
            E-N dead last.
            The hobby of things radioactive is fun! I'm blessed with living near a
            source of super high grade Pitchblende, Samarskite, and various yellow
            secondaries.

            Best Regards! -Tom