Re: [CDV700CLUB] RCA PMT

  • Jorge Dewey
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi Geo,
      I use a Gamma Camera Power supply. It Can feed 50 PMTs. And I can change the output voltage.
      I´m tring to find a colleage to join this group. He owns several Victoreen 700 and some PMTs, like me.
      I will send you a mail to request some pieces of plastic scintillators. And I can send you a PMT or two in exchange, if you want.
      Geo, two questions please,
      What is the maximum voltage for the RCA PMTs ?
      Do you know the "band pass" of your plastic scintillators ? May I see X Ray ?
      May I see Beta activity ?
      Of course are newbie questions, sorry, Hahaha.
      Have a nice day !!

      Jorge Guillermo Dewey
      SITEG

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011

        Keep your PMT's there for others.

        Fine on the power supply. have pictures?

        I run my PMT's from 660- 950 V depending on the use. For general purpose use in the field or lab, simple 900 V is fine. The other factor is the detector input sensitivity. This works hand-in-glove with the HV setting to give proper results. Generally 10 to 50 milliVolt input sensitivity is selected.

        Yes Bc-408 can see X-Rays, betas easily. For betas you need to have it behind a very thin light blocking window ( we found Coke can material good for this).

          --
          Nick A

          "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

          "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

          "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

          "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
        • Geo>K0FF
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
            How about a trash can full? Mostly dust. I used to save it for one particular fellow who had same in mind but after a few shipments never heard back from him.

            As far as I know, the scintillation material is suspended in the plastic, it is same or similar to scintillation material dissolved in acetone for use in liquid scintillation counters. No reason in the world it can't be hacked......err.exploited.

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
              Nice question. I have lots of optical waveguides with broken scintillation cristals inside.

              Jorge Guillermo Dewey
              SITEG

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2011
              Hi George,
              My HV Power Supply is a "Power Designs Inc".
              It`have two ranges 500/900 Volts and 800/1200 Volts, continuosly variable, 25 mA.
              Good night Geo !

              Jorge Guillermo Dewey
              SITEG

              Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2011
                > I will try to find a scintillation cristal to fit the PMT.

                You should be able to detect radiation (via 1/r^2 and shielding)
                using the fluorescent wrapper on medical bottles (ca 1990+)
                I think they will fluoresce under rad (if not, try ZnS(Th) or
                other phosphors; scrape a CRT if necessary).

                My point: if you have a working PMT + counter (analog or digital)
                you are nearly there ---the rest is finding expedient fluorophores.
                And my suggestion is that modern industrial civ has plenty around
                you. Try clotheswashing detergent

                I have no PMT so I cannot try. I once did dust a Staticmaster
                with ZnS (Th) and saw the Line. I have viewed "atoms disintegrating"
                in self-made spinthariscopes
              • Phil
                Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2011
                  Please don't tell anyone to go SCRAPE CRT phosphor's - there are some extremely toxic materials in those phosphor's. We don't need to be SELF POISONING ourselves. Particularly the old COLOR CRT's.

                  Have Fun, But Be SAFE,

                  Phil
                  N5TSX

                • slrfbennett@peoplepc.com
                  Message 9 of 24 , Sep 7, 2011
                    Phil,

                    I removed the phosphor from the 3 crt’s in a old projection system in hopes of using the blue along with Geo’s plastic on a RCA 6199 do you know what is in this stuff.

                    Randy W4RFB
                  • David Nix
                    Message 10 of 24 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Burned out fluorescent tubes are common enough. They have lots of phosphors. Not exactly legal to break the tube in some places, but there is very little mercury used in them anymore.

                      https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp#Phosphor_composition

                      Some of the phosphors were toxic (beryllium) but those have long since been replaced.
                      The mercury used to start the tube emits UV. By the time the tube is burned out the mercury has been absorbed into the glass.

                      Around here most get busted anyway and thrown in the dump. There are no practical recycling solutions for linear fluorescents. Safety Kleen will do it but charges $3 a tube, which is way more than the tube sold for, plus a charge for travel time to your business.
                      It also doesn't actually remove the mercury since it's in the glass and phospors at that point.  The only way to actually safely dispose of old linear lamps it to completely crush the tube, capture the gasses and bury the glass fragments in a dry lined landfill with a rain cover.

                      CFL's can be returned free to Home Depot. Right inside the front door is the box. They even supply bags for each returned fixture.

                      The little blue cubes they sell to whiten clothes are also just cheap fluorescing agents. There is a crystal growing mix using liquid bluing.
                      • 6 parts liquid bluing
                      • 6 parts water
                      • 8 parts salt
                      • 1 part ammonia
                      https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Transition_metal

                      Any of the transition metals should also work to some extent. Nickel, copper and zinc are used in US coinage. Pennies made after the early 80's are just copper plated zinc.

                      Message 11 of 24 , Sep 7, 2011
                        You can dump a fissile element, Am241 in landfills.
                        Also radium.

                        You can't legally dump fluorescent bulbs (mercury is
                        mercury), even batteries in places. Or junked electronics.
                        It becomes a joke. Nannies regulate, working people work,
                        try to ignore them.

                        "Did you know you can fertilize your lawn with used motor oil?"

                        Lead is used in wheel weights which by definition litter the
                        roads. Any questions?

                        Message 12 of 24 , Sep 7, 2011
                          I used to work part time for a tire shop. We saved broken/loose wheel balance weights by the 5 gallon bucket (which when full is obscenely heavy). A full bucket of lead was worth some real money even back then. Now they use steel weights, just like steel shotgun shot and steel fishing sinkers.

                          You can dump a fissile element, Am241 in landfills.
                          Also radium.

                          You can't legally dump fluorescent bulbs (mercury is
                          mercury), even batteries in places. Or junked electronics.
                          It becomes a joke. Nannies regulate, working people work,
                          try to ignore them.

                          "Did you know you can fertilize your lawn with used motor oil?"

                          Lead is used in wheel weights which by definition litter the
                          roads. Any questions?

                          --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, David Nix <dnix71@...> wrote:

                          > Burned out fluorescent tubes are common enough. They have lots of phosphors. Not exactly legal to break the tube in some places, but there is very little mercury used in them anymore.
                          >
                          > https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp#Phosphor_composition
                          >
                          > Some of the phosphors were toxic (beryllium) but those have long since been replaced.
                          > The mercury used to start the tube emits UV. By the time the tube is burned out the mercury has been absorbed into the glass.
                          >
                          > Around here most get busted anyway and thrown in the dump. There are no practical recycling solutions for linear fluorescents. Safety Kleen will do it but charges $3 a tube, which is way more than the tube sold for, plus a charge for travel time to your business.
                          > It also doesn't actually remove the mercury since it's in the glass and phospors at that point.  The only way to actually safely dispose of old linear lamps it to completely crush the tube, capture the gasses and bury the glass fragments in a dry lined landfill with a rain cover.
                          >
                          > CFL's can be returned free to Home Depot. Right inside the front door is the box. They even supply bags for each returned fixture.
                          >
                          > The little blue cubes they sell to whiten clothes are also just cheap fluorescing agents. There is a crystal growing mix using liquid bluing.
                          > 6 parts liquid bluing 6 parts water8 parts salt1 part ammonia
                          > https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Transition_metal
                          >
                          > Any of the transition metals should also work to some extent. Nickel, copper and zinc are used in US coinage. Pennies made after the early 80's are just copper plated zinc.

                        • Robert Druecker
                          Message 13 of 24 , Sep 7, 2011
                            yep my daughter is now working mostly with steel and some zinc weights.  her company is number one in the nation for wheel weight manufacturing.

                            To: CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com
                            From: dnix71@...
                            Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:04:57 -0700
                            Subject: Re: [CDV700CLUB] Re: RCA PMT