RE: [CDV700CLUB] Electrostatic meter for $100

  • Robert Druecker
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
      What will you use it for?  I detect static electricity with my finger. I always touch a door knob lightly, especially after walking on a carpet, I once took a collapsable metal pointer, and after sliding across the judges leather looking sofa at South Gate courthouse, I told the lady clerk to watch the tip of the pointer.  when it was about 1 inch from the tip of her nose a spark jumped across
      to her nose, her eyes crossed and she jumped about a foot in the air. I'm sorry I did that.  she could have had an attack of something.  I can just see it now.  A Deputy Sheriff caused the court clerk to have an attack.  seems the deputy was playing with static electricity in the Judges chamber, etc. etc. etc.

      To: CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com
      From: dnix71@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:47:48 -0700
      Subject: [CDV700CLUB] Electrostatic meter for $100

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ACL-Staticide-300B-Precision-Electrostatic-Locator-/150626387014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2312084446

      With a 7 day guarantee. This looks like a good deal. If someone here can vouch for this model, I'll buy it. New they are $400+

      Non-contact, 50v minimum accuracy at 1/2" I can get closer than 1/2"

      I see lots of Trek meters missing probes, but that makes no sense unless you already own one.

    • robert8rpi
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi David,
        This is not suitable, It's a electrostatic field meter, not an electrostatic voltmeter.
        For $90 you can get a brand new HV probe from FLUKE the 80K-6 only downside is slightly high loading at 75Mohms
        http://www.flukeonlinestore.com/532424.html

        Robert G8RPI.

        --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, David Nix <dnix71@...> wrote:

        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ACL-Staticide-300B-Precision-Electrostatic-Locator-/150626387014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2312084446
        >
        > With a 7 day guarantee. This looks like a good deal. If someone here can vouch for this model, I'll buy it. New they are $400+
        >
        > Non-contact, 50v minimum accuracy at 1/2" I can get closer than 1/2"
        >
        > I see lots of Trek meters missing probes, but that makes no sense unless you already own one.

      • Eric Furness
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2011
          On 6/30/2011 8:48 PM, Robert Druecker wrote:

          I just took a Lionel with 998 volts  and put a 100 volt 3 w zener, backwards in the HV right at the circuit board. My voltage dropped to 895 volts. I first put the zener in forward, and got 998 volts, so I just turned it around.  My russian tubes all have 2 ea 200 volt zeners, backward, and apprear to be working fine.  I do have a shunt circuit that George sent me for one of my units that has a 4" pancake.  All work fine for me. I also am not worried about having a presicion instrument. I do want one that works, and is not just sitting on the shelf. How many batteries does your M have?  If it has 2 and a small seperate circuit board for the voltage, it is a true M conversion. I have a fake M with 4 batteries and a missing tube.  The tube was 149.00 from lnd, plus shippimg.  I managed to get one from George at KI4U, for the same, but he included the shipping.  That tube is 900 volts, not the Amperex tube used in the true M at around 400 volts.

          To: CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com
          From: dnix71@...
          Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:56:45 -0700
          Subject: Re: [CDV700CLUB] Re: Using zener diodes below spec'ed current

          Just Zeners backward was what I intended to try unless I can get a 1 gig ohm resistor to shunt with. With a tiny current flow that should be enough to get a forward voltage drop.

          I suspect the high voltage won't harm the tubes as long a there is a very large resistor (maybe 10 meg ohm) in series in the supply chain somewhere to limit current.

          Lab accuracy is not what is being sought here anyway. If your food, water or air causes a lot of clicks, then you know you have to be careful.

          yes putting a zener in series is not going to regulate anything, will just drop the voltage by a fixed amount,
          any sag in the input voltage caused by current draw will be seen at the output.
          This would be ok for use with a supply that was already regulated.