Pic Scaler finished

  • robert8rpi
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2011
      Hi all,
      I've uploaded photos of the finished pic scaler/ratemeter module prototype to photos http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CDV700CLUB/photos/album/1592468170/pic/list
      It is small 2.25" x 1.25" x 1.5" with a black on green backlit display. It has two modes, Ratemeter and Scaler. selection between modes is by an external pushbutton In ratemeter mode it counts for 1 second and displays CPS on the top line. The second line shows a 6 second rolling average. This smoothes the reading. In scaler mode it takes a 60 second count and displays the result. I then stops until the next button press.
      High accuracy is acheived by using a hardware counter and 10MHz crystal. The input has adjustable sensitivity and works with positive or negative pulses. A 5V pulse output is provided. In ratemeter mode the raw CPS count is output as serial ASCII. There is an onboard regulator allowing for operation between 7-15V DC. As an alternaive it can be supplied for operation from 5V DC or with a shunt regulator to run off 4 alkaline cells. The backlight is separate and need a series resistor to suit the supply. The display can be read with the backlight off. The cost is $50 shipped to the US, £30 in the UK and 40 Euros to europe. Please contact me OFF LIST g8rpi(at)yahoo.co.uk if you would like one.
      Robert G8RPI.
    • robert8rpi
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2011
        Hi,
        Sorry to reply to my own post ;)
        I'm changing the regulator to a low drop out type. This will allow operation from about 5.1V to 15V DC. Note that the display and pcb plug together so can be separated if you need to remotely mount it.

        Robert G8RPI.

        --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "robert8rpi" <robert8rpi@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I've uploaded photos of the finished pic scaler/ratemeter module prototype to photos http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CDV700CLUB/photos/album/1592468170/pic/list
        > It is small 2.25" x 1.25" x 1.5" with a black on green backlit display. It has two modes, Ratemeter and Scaler. selection between modes is by an external pushbutton In ratemeter mode it counts for 1 second and displays CPS on the top line. The second line shows a 6 second rolling average. This smoothes the reading. In scaler mode it takes a 60 second count and displays the result. I then stops until the next button press.
        > High accuracy is acheived by using a hardware counter and 10MHz crystal. The input has adjustable sensitivity and works with positive or negative pulses. A 5V pulse output is provided. In ratemeter mode the raw CPS count is output as serial ASCII. There is an onboard regulator allowing for operation between 7-15V DC. As an alternaive it can be supplied for operation from 5V DC or with a shunt regulator to run off 4 alkaline cells. The backlight is separate and need a series resistor to suit the supply. The display can be read with the backlight off. The cost is $50 shipped to the US, £30 in the UK and 40 Euros to europe. Please contact me OFF LIST g8rpi(at)yahoo.co.uk if you would like one.
        > Robert G8RPI.

      • robert8rpi
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2011
          Quick update,
          On request I can supply the module programmed to read mR instead of the average CPS. this would be scaled for the standard CDV-700 probe. I could be used to replace a faulty meter.

          Robert G8RPI.

          --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "robert8rpi" <robert8rpi@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I've uploaded photos of the finished pic scaler/ratemeter module prototype to photos http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CDV700CLUB/photos/album/1592468170/pic/list