survey meters roasting on an open fire.... CDV 715 repair

  • kb3fkj
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      hi guys,

      hope your holidays were happy. I reconditioned the electrometer tubes
      in my CDV 715's overnight. they still go all the way up on the 0.1x
      scale. Whats the procedure for getting the moisture out of the ion
      chambers? will cooking them in the oven for 12 hours with the battery
      out case open and oven door open help any? will it damage the rubber
      seals? And if thats not recomeneded, where can i get decissant
      packets?

      thanks for any information ,

      Joe sherman.

      P S. Still cant get it to stop saying KB3FKJ. so im giving up on it
    • Jim Darrough
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
        Sounds to me like you might have a bad solder connection either on the range
        switch, or on a resistor somewhere. I think I would get a magnifier (one of
        those headset types you can get for under $10.00 at Harbor Freight would
        work) and carefully inspect every joint on the circuit board. Get a sharp
        scribe or dental tool and poke at all the solder joints, gently pulling on
        components to see if their leads are moving inside the solder joint.

        Use some Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip to clean the switch contacts. Try to
        get 95% or better, otherwise you can get denatured or grain alcohol from a
        pharmacy. Don't use commercial contact cleaners unless you are SURE they
        won't degrade insulation, circuit boards, and/or wire insulation.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards, Jim Darrough

        hope your holidays were happy. I reconditioned the electrometer tubes
        in my CDV 715's overnight. they still go all the way up on the 0.1x
        scale. Whats the procedure for getting the moisture out of the ion
        chambers? will cooking them in the oven for 12 hours with the battery
        out case open and oven door open help any? will it damage the rubber
        seals? And if thats not recomeneded, where can i get decissant
        packets?

        thanks for any information ,

        Joe sherman.

        P S. Still cant get it to stop saying KB3FKJ. so im giving up on it

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: CDV700CLUB@onelist.com
        Subscribe: CDV700CLUB-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/CDV700CLUB

      • sanford1.geo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
          --- In CDV700CLUB@y..., "kb3fkj" <kb3fkj@a...> wrote:
          > hi guys,
          >
          > hope your holidays were happy. I reconditioned the electrometer
          tubes
          > in my CDV 715's overnight. they still go all the way up on the
          0.1x
          > scale. Whats the procedure for getting the moisture out of the ion
          > chambers? will cooking them in the oven for 12 hours with the
          battery
          > out case open and oven door open help any? will it damage the
          rubber
          > seals? And if thats not recomeneded, where can i get decissant
          > packets?
          >

          > thanks for any information ,
          >
          > Joe sherman.
          >
          > P S. Still cant get it to stop saying KB3FKJ. so im giving up on it

          You can get 1.5 lb. cans of indicating silica-gel at Wal-Mart in
          the "crafts" section for about $5. I't used for drying flowers.
          Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol is also sold as gas line anti-freeze for
          cars under the name of "Iso-Dry" and others. I use it all the time
          for routine clean up tasks. Just stay away from the methanol type.

          Happy New Year

          Gary Sanford