radioactive fireworks

  • robertdruecker@msn.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
      I've been thinking about checking out a fireworks tent for barium that supposidly gives off the green colors in the display. We have tents set up everywhere, and I'm wondering if barium is still being used. I would purchase 1 if I find it. The internet blogs still claim it's used. We also have fireworks stores that are open year round here. Anyone know for sure? or do I have to go check. Bob
    • Nick Andrews
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
        Barium nitrate is used to produce a green color.  I have some, but I don't think it's hot.  Can try to remember to check it later on.  Will be constructing devices all day tomorrow for Saturday...

        --
        Nick A

        "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

        "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

        "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

        "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
      • robertdruecker@msn.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
            Re: [CDV700CLUB] radioactive fireworks
            Fireworks would be using naturally occurring barium, which is not radioactive.

[...]

            ---
            Chris Smolinski
            Black Cat Systems
            http://www.blackcatsystems.com
          • Ken Sejkora
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
              Hi Bob,

              Naturally-occurring barium used to color fireworks is comprised of stable isotopes, of which there are several...Ba-130 at 0.101%, Ba-132 at 0.097%, Ba-134 at 2.42%, Ba-135 at 6.59%, Ba-136 at 7.81%, Ba-137 at 11.32%, and Ba-138 at 71.66%.  The base state of Ba-137 is stable, but the metastable state, Ba-137m, is the daughter of Cs-137.  Ba-137m has a half-life of 2.55 minutes, and emits the characteristic 661.6 keV photon most often attributed to Cs-137.  In fact, the Cs-137 decay doesn't actually produce the 662 keV photon, but its radioactive daughter does.  Of the radioactive species of barium, Ba-133 has the longest half-life at 7.2 years, and is often used as a test/check source for scintillation detectors with discriminators set to look specifically for Iodine-131. Ba-133 produces a 356 keV photon 69% of the time, which is close enough to the 364 keV photon of I-131to allow one to set the window to look for I-131.

              Have a happy Fourth of July everyone.  God Bless the USA, and the brave young men and women serving in the armed forces protecting our life and liberty.

              Ken Sejkora, WB0OCV
              Norton, MA  Lat/Lon N41.95955 W71.16400

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Barium nitrate is also a component of Baratol, a slow dense
                  brisant explosive used in the first generation of implosion-device
                  explosive lenses. Being relatively slow and dense can be useful.
                • robertdruecker@msn.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
                    That’s me alright.
                    Barium nitrate is also a component of Baratol, a slow dense
                    brisant explosive used in the first generation of implosion-device
                    explosive lenses. Being relatively slow and dense can be useful.

                  • Patrick Hill
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Ken Sejkora <quickhatch44@...> wrote:
                      > Have a happy Fourth of July everyone.  God Bless the USA, and the brave young men and women serving in the armed forces protecting our life and liberty.

                      And lets not forget those who have served!

                      Patrick Hill, CWO4 ENG
                      USCG Ret
                    • Geo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 9, 2009
                        Barium metal is not radioactive according to my checks. Some isotopes are of course, but not in the natural state that I have found. Geo