Re: Cockroaches etc.

  • jasonburry
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      Awesome, thanks!

      --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Muderick <aaron@...> wrote:

      > Sure thing:
      >
      > They took german cockroaches, flower beetles, and fruit flies and
      > divided them into 4 groups: control, 1000 rad, 10,000 rad, and
      100,000
      > rad.
      >
      > They exposed the bugs to the radioactivity using a Cobalt-60
      source.
      > They continued to feed them food & water for 30 days and counted
      the dead.

      > The actual stats flashed by pretty quick but basically insects can
      > survive pretty acceptable losses at 1000 or 10,000 rad. At
      100,000 rad
      > (over say a few minutes), things get grim. Many were dead when
      they
      > left the chamber. I think all roaches were dead after 30 days.
      The
      > flower beetles did surprisingly well....I think 30% survived
      100,000 rad.

      > It was mentioned that their lack tissues which are refreshed
      rapidly
      > (like our marrow, intestines, etc) help them to survive higher
      levels of
      > radiation than a human could endure.
      >
      > At 10,000 rad the camera, which was aimed at the bugs inside the
      chamber
      > started getting some blips on its sensor. At 100,000 rad there
      was a
      > decent amount of sensor noise from the radiation.
      >
      > That's the scoop!
      >
      > Best,
      > Aaron
      >
      > jasonburry wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually, if anyone could do a 1 or 2 paragraph summary of the
      > > episode, I'd really appreciate it. I live in the boonies, no
      cable,
      > > no satelite, just off-air, and I don't get the good channels! No
      > > high speed 'net either!
      > >
      > > Thanks!

      > > --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:CDV700CLUB%40yahoogroups.com>, "John Boyle" <kb3cny@>
      wrote:

      > > > OK, guys, I guess most all of you have seen it.
      > > > Did Mythbusters prove or disprove anything based on the
      > > > eactual xpected aftermath of a nuclear confrontation?
      > > > I have gripes, but I'll wait to hear other opinions first.
      > > > I suspect you will say what I'm thinking anyway.
      > > >
      > > > ..jb

    • Robert Carroll
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        Thank goodness they haven't figured out Boric Acid yet.

        -Bob Carroll

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "D. Emer" <dfemer@...> wrote:

          > Funny you should mention microwaving them, being bored one day I
          tried that.
          > They have an incredible sense of how to survive and will run to the area
          > with the lowest electric field (the corner) and wait there until the
          oven
          > turns off.

          Yep, a totally rational strategy, assuming they can measure
          their own body temp, even if only as generalized 'discomfort'.

          If they were insurgent cockroaches, they would be controlled by
          the magnetrons on the humvees manned by our brave troops.

          Instead, they are active null-node finders in your kitchen.
          More amusing than neon bulbs, no?

          "Cricket chirps" are an accurate measure of ambient temperature.
          Because coldblooded muscle stiffness measures temp.

          BTW, expect the PETI to be picketing you soon. Never mind the
          lightening bugs I smeared on my arms, growing up in upstate
          NY, until I realized they were frickin beetles, when I
          turned on the light. Eeew. Twasn't actually me, but
          my (evil twin) brother; I don't want PETI picketing me.

          Still it must have thrilled our NYC-borne mom.
        • DH
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Carroll" <rpcarroll@...> wrote:

            > Thank goodness they haven't figured out Boric Acid yet.

            Because it kills them [roaches] or because it protects them from neutrons?

            Sorry I'm so currently opaque, I should pull over on the
            info-superhighway but Al Gore's son is chasing me in a Prius,
            and damn those things go fast when he's driving.
          • Ralph DAndrea
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
              --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "DH" <revtkatt@...> wrote:

              > --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Carroll" <rpcarroll@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank goodness they haven't figured out Boric Acid yet.
              >
              > Because it kills them [roaches] or because it protects them from
              neutrons?

              > Sorry I'm so currently opaque, I should pull over on the
              > info-superhighway but Al Gore's son is chasing me in a Prius,
              > and damn those things go fast when he's driving.

              Cockroaches, regardless of their reputation, keep themselves clean.

              Boric Acid has been used for a long time to kill cockroaches.
              Sprinkle it on the floor, the cockroaches walk through it, they clean
              themselves, and the boric acid eventually dissolves them from the
              inside out.

              It's a wonderful roach control method. It has no repellent effect--the
              roaches don't know it's there. It is highly toxic to roaches, but
              relatively harmless to humans. Its only drawback compared to other
              roach poisons is that it is quite hygroscopic.
            • Chris Cavanaugh
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
                DH,

                If roaches ever figure out that boric acid moderates neutrons, we all are in deep doo doo.

                Chris Cavanaugh
                Yukon, OK
                > Thank goodness they haven't figured out Boric Acid yet.

                Because it kills them [roaches] or because it protects them from neutrons?

                Sorry I'm so currently opaque, I should pull over on the
                info-superhighway but Al Gore's son is chasing me in a Prius,
                and damn those things go fast when he's driving.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Nick Andrews
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                  And it's good in some pyrotechnic mixtures as well.

                  On Feb 2, 2008 10:31 AM, Geo>K0FF <GEOelectronics@...> wrote:

                  I think the modality is desiccation. No question that it does work. Also makes a great neutron absorber. I use roach powder to make neutron detectors!

                  Neutron/Boron reaction yields a proton, which scintillates in ZnS(Ag). A PMT picks up that scintillation. Called a proton-recoil detector.
                  Search Hornyak button, BC-720, proton recoil,  PRESCILA .

                  New medical procedure uses boron placed  inside the patient, neutron bombardment from a linear accelerator concentrates in the boron, causing localized secondary ionizing radiation where the boron is located ( tumor etc).
                  Search "boron/neutron capture therapy"

                  Maybe a better way to kill roaches too?

                  Geo

                  --
                  Nick A

                  "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

                  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

                  "Be polite.  Be professional.  But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."  Anonymous

                  "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then you must be talking about Hillary Clinton."  Jeff Foxworthy
                • DH
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                    --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Andrews" <nickjandrews@...>
                    wrote:

                    > And it's good in some pyrotechnic mixtures as well.

                    Mix boric acid with some alcohol and light. You will get
                    green tinged flames.
                  • Aaron Muderick
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                      It works best with methanol or denatured alcohol with forms methyl borate and helps the boric acid to dissolve and release the boron into the flame.  It looks fantastic, especially next to a purple/pink lithium chloride flame for contrast.

                      wrote:

                      > And it's good in some pyrotechnic mixtures as well.

                      Mix boric acid with some alcohol and light. You will get
                      green tinged flames.

                    • Steve Jones
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                        <It works best with methanol or denatured alcohol with forms methyl borate and helps the boric acid to dissolve and release the boron into the flame.  It looks fantastic, especially next to a purple/pink lithium chloride flame for contrast. >

                        You guys have just invented fire-scale preventative that us jewelers use on gold or silver prior to doing any solder work.

                        Steve Jones