Re: [CDV700CLUB] Re: Gas mantle composition...

  • Steve Poterala
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      Tom,

      The mine you're referring to is a few miles SW of Mars Hill, right?
      I've talked with Ruth a couple of times about trying to find this
      locality and getting permission to collect there, but so far I did one
      scouting trip to the area and failed to find the mine site.

      Do you know the actual mine location?

      Steve Poterala

      Tom Herman wrote:

      > Hi Tom,
      > you've reminded me to say what I once read:
      > rare earths are not rare, just hard to
      > separate. I think it was in Uncle Tungsten
      > that I learned that.
      >
      > Hi DH!
      >
      > Glad I triggered that memory... The separation of most of the REE's
      > is a real pain. The Lanthanide series has 15 members, then there is
      > Thorium.
      > IIRC, it's easy to separate out the three major components (Cerium,
      > Lanthanum, and Thorium), but the others are much more challenging.
      > The chemistry is fascinating, and if I were independently wealthy, I
      > would love to work up a quantity of Monazite and try to separate out
      > the lesser REE's, and begin the work of isolating them from each other.
      > For those that don't know it, the center of the American Monazite
      > industry was in North Carolina a century ago: Where gold was found
      > (Charlotte/Mecklenburg County, Rutherford Co, Cleveland Co,
      > Dysartsville, etc.), so was Monazite.
      > The American mining was essentially abandoned due to lower priced
      > Brazilian imports.
      > The Monazite still accumulates, but is no longer mined. It weathers
      > out of the granite/pegmatite rock, and can still be found in the local
      > streams (field trip, anyone?).
      > There was an attempt at hard rock mining it, but the average content
      > of local rock was too low (1/10th or 1% Monazite) to make it economical.
      > As a further aside, the world's largest Monazite crystal (something
      > like 35 pounds!) came from a small prospect outside of Marshall, NC.
      > I've rolled through there, and the area is still a field (with
      > houses close by). I never got up the nerve to ask to collect there.
      >
      > -Tom

    • Tom Herman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        Tom,

        The mine you're referring to is a few miles SW of Mars Hill, right?
        I've talked with Ruth a couple of times about trying to find this
        locality and getting permission to collect there, but so far I did one
        scouting trip to the area and failed to find the mine site.

        Do you know the actual mine location?

        Steve Poterala

        Hi Steve,

          That's the one!  The details are a bit fuzzy right now. My maps & documentation is still in storage.
          As of about six years ago, the area was still rural farmlands. The site in question is on a hillside, a fairly steep ravine IIRC.
          It was fairly heavily wooded, and I think I saw a depressed spot (possibly the prospect hole) where the landowner was dumping brush.
          I'll let you know when I find the documentation....

        -Tom
      • DH
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
          --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Herman" <n1bec@...> wrote:
          > I've rolled through there, and the area is still a field (with
          houses close by). I never got up the nerve to ask to collect there.

          "Hi ma'am, mind if I remove some of the radioactive
          minerals nearby?" [1]

          Unless she's into hormesis, you win :-)

          [1] optionally with shiny '700 in hand,
          double-optionally if you wear a labcoat,
          but a pocket protect is over the top.
          A clipboard, maybe.
        • DH
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
            --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Herman" <n1bec@...> wrote:
            > It was fairly heavily wooded, and I think I saw a depressed spot
            (possibly the prospect hole) where the landowner was dumping brush.

            The politically correct term is "sequestering carbon"
          • Geo>K0FF
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
              No pocket protector? Next you'll want me to leave my slide rule at home?? Geo

            • wharpt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008

                In a message dated 1/1/2008 12:34:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, GEOelectronics@... writes:
                No pocket protector? Next you'll want me to leave my slide rule at home?? Geo

                But you can take your abacus!  Jim