Re: united nuclear.>polonium plug

  • Steve Kay
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007

      Hi, Thought I should let you know about a site called "Anything Radioactive"

      they have those polonium spark plugs you are looking to acquire, and they are sold mounted in a display case to boot.

      I believe they are out of the uk, but have alot of interesting items to check out.

      their link is below:

      http://www.anythingradioactive.com/tshirts.htm#Boxed%20Vintage%20Polonium

      good luck,

      steve k.

    • fucian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
        They are likely so many times their half life that nothing but the most sensitive detector would detect it was radioactive...Not worth having for its radioactive qualities, just for collectable or historical reasons.

        Matt

      • Geo>K0FF
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
          Once radioactive. Po-210 has a 138 day half life. In 7 half-lives it would be considered dead. Long before that it would have lost so much activity as to be non radioactive. Add to that the fact that Po-210 is an Alpha emitter, only those atoms right at the surface would have ever been detectable in the real world. Alpha radiation from
          those just below the surface would be absorbed by the surface atoms.

          Nice display piece, but nothing more.

          Geo
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Geo>K0FF" <GEOelectronics@...> wrote:

            > Once radioactive. Po-210 has a 138 day half life. In 7 half-lives it
            would be considered dead.

            Not necessarily. If you start with 300 uCi, eg a staticmaster 3"
            strip, you are still over 2 uCi after its decayed to 1/128th.
          • Miki Kanazawa
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 26, 2007
              > they have those polonium spark plugs you are looking to acquire, and
              > they are sold mounted in a display case to boot.

              Didn't see this mentioned, but I believe the reason behind using a
              radioactive plug electrode was to ionize the compressed air/fuel
              mixture, making it easier to ignite due to lower electric potential
              requirement. Is that feasible?
            • Chris Cavanaugh
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 26, 2007
                I don't think it was to Ionize the air fuel mix, I think it was to give a wider gap, which would have an area of ionization that was bigger than the standard gaps available at that time, allowing the lower energy spark to cross the larger gap.  Nowadays, automotive ignition systems are much higher voltage, so larger gaps are possible without "help."

                Chris Cavanaugh
                Yukon, OK

                > they have those polonium spark plugs you are looking to acquire, and
                > they are sold mounted in a display case to boot.

                Didn't see this mentioned, but I believe the reason behind using a
                radioactive plug electrode was to ionize the compressed air/fuel
                mixture, making it easier to ignite due to lower electric potential
                requirement. Is that feasible?

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.