Re: This would be a cool science fair project!

  • DH
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
      <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

      > A nuclear reactor simulator, ca. 1955:
      > http://long-lines.net/other/electrical/ElectricalWorld-1955-09-
      05/158.html .

      > I can almost see Homer Simpson staring into that window and
      imagining doughnuts ("all the color of
      > the rainbow") circulating through the reactor vessel.
      >
      > Albert

      Cute. I just learned that you can drive the luminol reaction
      by liberating oxygen from water. So with the right chems
      you could fake a Cerenkov 'glow' (as done in the referenced
      simulator) by driving proportional current.
      Although a blue LED is certainly easier nowadays :-)

      http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/12/09/firefly-chemistry/
    • Albert LaFrance
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
        A member of another list found this neat simulator program:
        http://www.ida.liu.se/~her/npp/demo.html

        It appears to a student programming exercise rather than an attempt to create a technically accurate
        simulation, but it could easily become the foundation for a more sophisticated program.

        Albert