Battery life on Eberline SK-1 "Clicker" unit

  • silvermoon@main.nc.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2000
      Hi Folks!!!

      Just got back from a very enjoyable outing that was nearly ruined
      by a bad battery..
      At the momemt, my favorite collecting instrument is the Eberline
      E120 with the 210-T probe and SK-1 "clicker" unit..
      After getting to the quarry, it seemed that the audio output of the
      Eberline was way down. When I closed in on some good, hot samples,
      the ausio was not up to "par", giving me mediocre audio clicks,
      definitely not the loud, rapid-fire strong ausio I should have heard.
      After getting the unit back to the shop, I confirmed that the NEDA
      220/Eveready No. 504 15 volt battery was a puny 12 volts. That
      battery had only served me for about 30 hours. The SK-1 works great
      with the new battery!
      Apparently, I've accelerated the demise of it due to the high
      background areas I collect in...
      My suggestion is to wrap a spare battery in plastic, and tape it
      into the inside of the E-120 case, so it can be replaced in the field.
      I think I'll carry a spare of each battery with me from here on
      in...

      Best Regards!!! -Tom
    • Norman Angerhofer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2000
        Hello to all.

        After having acquired a couple of SK-1 units, I needed batteries to
        run them. Locally, the battery store wanted over $6.00 apiece for
        them. Acting on a tip from Ken Lamson, I got 15 V replacement
        batteries from Radio Shack on line (http://www.radioshack.com) for
        $2.00 apiece, and shipping was only another $2.00. These batteries
        are a direct replacement of the NEDA 220/ Eveready 504, and have the
        #220A. They are a super alkaline battery, and work great. Thanks,
        Ken!

        --Norman