Re: Radium and Be

  • DH
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smolinski <csmolinski@b...>
      wrote:
      > >--- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cav427@c...> wrote:
      > >> I guess the proper question would be
      > >are Ra alphas more energetic than Am alphas, even though there are
      > >fewer of them.
      > >
      > >There's a 'law' that says that the shorter the halflife,
      > >the more energetic the alphas. Ergo Am has hotter[1] alphas.
      > >The explanation goes like this: the alpha 'bouncing' around
      > >the nucleus has an energy barrier to cross; the more
      > >'energetic' the internal alpha, the more often it escapes,
      > >thus the shorter half life. This is a quantum-mech
      >
      > This is entirely true. However, the primary reason for the switch to
      > Am241 for neutron sources is that it only has a 59 keV gamma
      > component, which is fairly easy to shield, vs the nasty high energy
      > gammas from Radium. Polonium makes a dandy alpha source for
      neutrons,
      > with no gammas to worry about, if you can live with the short half
      > life.

      Very reasonable, but I think we're forgetting another thing:
      no one refines Ra any more, but Am is a "waste product"!
      (A bit ironic ---it costs $ to dispose of Ra nowadays but Am has
      uses.)
    • DH
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        There are a few other neutron sources listed below. This
        is taken from http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/rdd-7.html
        which is a list of all the things you can say about
        how nukes work without being thrown in jail.
        Very interesting reading.

        The existence and use of modulated initiators of the alpha-n type and
        that they can use Ac227, Po210, Ra226 and Pu238. (62-7)
        (1)
        The fact that a polonium-beryllium initiator is used in the 280
        mm and 8" gun-type nuclear weapons. (64-5)
        (2)
        Fact that Po-210 is used in weapon initiators. (67-1)
      • Chris Cavanaugh
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
          Geo,

          Thank you for the new link.  I had Decay Loaded but it never worked 100 % with With Windows XP.  This version works as intended.

          Chris Cavanaugh
          cav427@...
          Yukon, OK

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2004
            The Topic of Nuclear Batteries and Nickle 63 has come up recently, I thought this article may be of interest:

            Chris Cavanaugh
            cav427@...
            Yukon, OK

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2004
              --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Cavanaugh" <cav427@c...>
              wrote:
              > The Topic of Nuclear Batteries and Nickle 63 has come up recently,

              Space travel idea: take a 'solar sail' and coat one side
              with an alpha-emitting isotope. The alphas escaping
              will push the sail forward. The problem is the alphas
              trapped by the sail will degrade it. But it works with
              fewer parts than a nuclear rocket, although it won't
              get you where you're going as fast. (Yes, I know the alphas won't
              leave perpendicular to the sail; it doesn't matter as
              it averages out.)