Re: [CDV700CLUB] Old Sears smoke alarm

  • J. Marshall Reber
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 1, 2004
      > I also know that many have
      > that flimsy thin film covering the source

      Could you elaborate on how you know?
    • DH
      Message 52 of 52 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In CDV700CLUB@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Herron" <jackherron@c...>
        wrote:
        > In a jocular mood, I don't ever recall a law which explains WHY it
        is there.

        In the bills at least of some laws, the legislature sometimes
        tries to justify what its about to do. This motivational
        prose may not make it into law but sometimes it does,
        and I imagine could be used by jurists to decide the actual
        meaning of the actual law. Sometimes the motivational
        text is overt placation of certain points of view.

        > I too am a libertarian, although voting libertarian is an exercise
        in stupidity.

        I generally meant mine as a vote of support for the party.

        While I'm a registered Lib, I actually meant libertarian (small L)
        in the general moral sense. To give a background for my
        aversion to victimless crime laws. Using some chems the
        wrong way isn't really victimless was my point.

        The first amendment prohibits *compelled* speech as much
        as *banned* speech, but I'm OK with requiring chem
        warnings on obvious things (bleach, pharmaceuticals, etc.)

        I do acknowledge that I have never seen a posted sign that
        explained why the regulation was in place. OTOH a cop
        can give you a speeding ticket for going under the limit
        if the conditions were unsafe (fog, ice) and there's a bit
        of explanation, physical even, for that.