Flea market prospecting

  • DH
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      Went to a flea market [1] today. Took
      Mr. Quartex with me -I'm keeping him in the
      car these days anyway. I saw
      some vaseline glass --brilliant in the
      sun (ahh, southern california, this was
      an outside market in February) but only a few times
      background (~30 uR/hr) as has been typical
      in my hunts. (Well, ok, this was hunt #2.)

      Saw some hot Fiestaware and Bauer ceramics. Oddly,
      I saw one piece that was marked HLC
      Fiestaware on the bottom and was that special orange
      but was *not* hot. Most pieces were
      (IMHO too) expensive, but I found a good deal on
      some small plates. I will have to measure if
      the rad fields add at all, or if one thickness of
      plate absorbs most betas. 5mm of SiO2 atomic
      weight material?

      Saw no geiger counters but I saw one radium
      item --a Bendix WWII ship-type compass (ie
      6" across, maybe 4" tall), that was about
      700 uR/hr [2] at an inch above the glass.
      $125 and "it points north" as the seller said,
      but beyond my budget. I think the gimbals were
      rusted solid too.

      One vendor asked me if that thing in my hand
      "measured something", I explained what it was
      and that the orange glaze was hot but harmless.
      Unless you put it under your pillow, I said
      (modulo the hormesis dispute :-), and the guy
      commented about putting it in your mouth, since
      I was looking at a teacup. (But that still
      doesn't add up to much.) I forgot to mention
      the lead leaching out if you use them with acidic
      foods or drink. Lead tannate with your tea, anyone?

      Also of note was a box of Resistors, capital R:
      500 M ohms, 100 M ohms. I thought of you-all repair
      hobbyists but I have no current need (no pun intended).
      Met a guy who makes his living selling
      working AM radios of the past. He repairs them.
      It impresses me that one could make a living at that.
      Overall not much electronics there --a box of tubes,
      a large wooden resistance box (as old as me), that's
      about it.

      I didn't really bother scanning the jewelry --for
      the hot enamel pieces I've heard of-- since I'm
      not using the most sensitive instrument in the world.
      On the other hand, you put Mr. Q. next to a piece of
      Fiestaware and the blinky light stays on solid,
      real easy. And I did linger for the required 30
      secs to assay the vaseline glassware a few times.

      Alas, found no radium medical applicators ;-)

      [1] Irvine Valley College, 1st and 3rd sunday
      of each month, early-until-3PM,
      huge number of vendors, all antiques, free parking.

      [2] equivalent, beta + gamma.