Re: [ccth] Greg Peden

  • Burt Brassard
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
      Junior, your diagnostic of Greg Peden is correct.  He is an excellent tabletop hockey player on many boards, a nice guy to talk to but a poor sportsman, that would do anything to win!  That's why nobody likes him (except Bill) and he doesn't really understand why!

      In Sherbrooke, he got Angelo angry at the start of the overtime in their first game.  After winning the face-off, the puck laid at Greg's right winger and Angelo lost a knob.  Angelo stopped playing and yelled stop to replace his knob and I was the referee.  I did not do or say anything and Greg stopped playing also, and turned to me to complain that there was no stoppage since he had possession.  I concurred by saying ply never stopped, and that he had possession to his right winger, and just had to move the puck.  So he passed it to his centerman and barely missed the net, while Angelo was fixing his knob, and wasn't playing!  That made Angelo swear and I quote "mon tabarnac, tu veux jouer de même...!" and Angelo regained possession of the puck and immediately scored a goal with a right wing to center pass, and yelled very loud "YEAH!"; and I quote Bill saying that "it's the best Greg Peden imitation I've heard so far".  After the game, Greg walked up to me to show me the rules, as if he got robbed!

      I can also recall my first encounter with him 4 years ago in Toronto, at Mark Sokolski's 2nd Toronto Classic Power Play II tournament.  Afeter playing him to an excellent, and close 5-4 win in the second round robin, I played him in the quarter final 2 out of 3 playoff (drawn at random).  He won every face-oof, flicked the puck behind the net from his right to left winger, and waited at least 5 seconds, repeatedly.  And then made his move to center, always on the edge of the 5 second rule, often over 5 seconds.  The problem with game #1 is that his frien Mark Cadeau was the ref, so he was never warned about stalling.  He finally scored on me many goals, winning 9-1, I think, as I was frozen and exasperated of this chess match.  He had figured a way to sike me out, slow down my speed, control the game totally, since I had the best offense and was very fast that day.  I demanded another referee for game 2, so Neil Whitely stood in.  Greg kept on winning face-offs and doing the same thing again, again and again.  But this time Neil was timing him, and warning him.  He even gave back the puck to me 1 or 2 times for Greg's stalling, but the continued arguing between Greg and the referee Neil about the 5 second rule was unbearable!  Greg tried to explain that he could use a little more than 5 seconds, because you had to count up "one steaboat, 2 steamboats, ..., 5 steamboats and almost 6 s." The final score was similar to the first game, like 8-1 or 9-2.  I was completely out of my mind and frustrated at Greg.  Yes he beat me, but not fairly!  So I refused to shake his hand, and told him that he didn't play fair.  His response was that he could use anything to win, as long as it's in the rules!  I never saw anybody do that or play that way in a tournament!

      BURT
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
        Unfortunatly, I've received many complain about Greg's behavior last week.

        Martin

[...]

        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
      • John Barnes
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
          It's funny...for the years I've been around table hockey, all I've heard is
          people complaining about Greg Peden...that he holds on to the puck for too
          long, that he is not very sportsmanlike, and that he does moves on certain
          boards that are cheap or unfair...

          And before I say this Burt, I preface it with the utmost of respect....

          The 5 second rule is too lenient. If you are a tournament organizer, and you
          hear complaints about people holding on to the puck for too long, (AND GREG
          IS NOT THE ONLY ONE TO DO THIS), it is the organizer's fault. Quit
          complaiining about the person, and start complaining to the rule maker. As
          well, most referees don't have the balls to call a player on it, which is a
          shame...
          We're all trying to be friends here and have a fun, competitive,
          good-natured community.

          But there will always be friction when some players have a greater desire to
          win than others. I'm simply saying that some people will stop at next to
          nothing to win. Kinda like the New York Yankees spending 200 million a year,
          or the Italian soccer team diving all over the pitch and crying to the
          referee...if major sports can curb these behaviors, why can't we?

          I can fully understand why Greg's competitive nature and gamesmanship can
          rub people the wrong way, but it can definitely be overcome. I saw Carlo use
          it as fuel in the Quebec Open to 'kick it up a notch' and bury Greg with 5
          goals in about a minute and a half...I guess it's all about how certain
          people respond to such adversity.

          And everyone, including Burt, if you think Bill is the only guy who likes
          Greg, you can add my name to the seemingly small list.

          John Barnes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
            nicely said johny B..., Greg is a great competitor, and our table hockey
            sport is one of pure competition... I like that about table hockey. It pits
            one person against the other, and win or lose, it is a rush!
            Beating Greg in a 7 game series has been the highlight of my 10 year table
            hockey career, and that is because you know you beat the guy that wants it
            the most!
            We all, including myself, have had moments of lack of sportsmanship shown.
            So let's cut each other a bit of slack and show appreciation to one another
            for being supportive of each other's events. I have my personal beefs with
            Greg... and we solve them in person, not on a forum...
            Let's keep the CCTHF a notch above the other chat rooms please. Show some
            class, even when you feel someone else has not given you the same respect..
            that will make you a better player as well as a better person.
            mark

            >From: "John Barnes" <johnbarnes98@...>
            >To: ccth@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [ccth] Greg Peden
            >Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:55:29 -0400
            >
            >It's funny...for the years I've been around table hockey, all I've heard is
            >people complaining about Greg Peden...that he holds on to the puck for too
            >long, that he is not very sportsmanlike, and that he does moves on certain
            >boards that are cheap or unfair...
            >
            >And before I say this Burt, I preface it with the utmost of respect....
            >
            >The 5 second rule is too lenient. If you are a tournament organizer, and
            >you
            >hear complaints about people holding on to the puck for too long, (AND GREG
            >IS NOT THE ONLY ONE TO DO THIS), it is the organizer's fault. Quit
            >complaiining about the person, and start complaining to the rule maker. As
            >well, most referees don't have the balls to call a player on it, which is a
            >shame...
            >We're all trying to be friends here and have a fun, competitive,
            >good-natured community.
            >
            >But there will always be friction when some players have a greater desire
            >win than others. I'm simply saying that some people will stop at next to
            >nothing to win. Kinda like the New York Yankees spending 200 million a
            >year,
            >or the Italian soccer team diving all over the pitch and crying to the
            >referee...if major sports can curb these behaviors, why can't we?
            >
            >I can fully understand why Greg's competitive nature and gamesmanship can
            >rub people the wrong way, but it can definitely be overcome. I saw Carlo
            >use
            >it as fuel in the Quebec Open to 'kick it up a notch' and bury Greg with 5
            >goals in about a minute and a half...I guess it's all about how certain
            >people respond to such adversity.
            >
            >And everyone, including Burt, if you think Bill is the only guy who likes
            >Greg, you can add my name to the seemingly small list.
            >
            >John Barnes

            Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
            SmartScreen Technology.
            first two months FREE*.
          • dominic froome
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2005
              I'll be new to the Labelle Coleco 5340 game soon and
              the rules used to play the game. In reading the rules
              used by Martin I think the referee should stop the
              time as soon as the puck is out of reach. (Behind the
              net.) This would stop intentional placing of the puck
              behind the net to then count off five seconds each
              time. Stop time as soon as the puck gets there. This
              will preserve much time in a game for the player who
              may be behind in a game. Just a thought. It would
              also make it impossible for players to devour much
              time with technicalities.

              Dominic Froome
              Vancouver

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8NSolB/TM

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • jeanjrgelinas
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2005
                Hey Mark,

                I don't think I did not show respect to Greg. I told what I saw and
                told I don't like what I saw. I think to have no respect is more
                like when you speak from another one in his back, like private e-
                mail or in person to another people except the guy then you speak
                about. Greg is a legend, a very good players and everyone respect
                him for is good career. You can send to him anything I wrote I have
                no problem and we can discuss it anytimes.

                Junior

                --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "m c" <torontotablehockey@h...> wrote:
> [...]
                to the
                > >referee...if major sports can curb these behaviors, why can't we?
                > >
                > >I can fully understand why Greg's competitive nature and
                gamesmanship can
                > >rub people the wrong way, but it can definitely be overcome. I
                saw Carlo
                > >use
                > >it as fuel in the Quebec Open to 'kick it up a notch' and bury
                Greg with 5
                > >goals in about a minute and a half...I guess it's all about how
                certain
                > >people respond to such adversity.
                > >
                > >And everyone, including Burt, if you think Bill is the only guy
                who likes
                > >Greg, you can add my name to the seemingly small list.
                > >
                > >John Barnes

                > Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented
                ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Ma
                rket_MSNIS_Taglines
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                  ...Junior, I did not say that you did not show respect to greg... I just
                  think there are much better things to talk about on the CCTHF forum.
                  Talking about Greg is enough to give me the creeps as it is ...
                  :)
                  mark

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Junior, I did not mean that you did snot show respect. I just figure that
                    we should keep this forum a positive place and I am tired about talking
                    about greg peden (it makes me fart just thinking about him.,.. haha) ... We
                    all have better things to discuss.
                    salut,