NEW FORMAT - WE'RE GONNA LOVE IT!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2010
      Only a week and a half 'til the Cambridge PP2 Classic tourney and it says here we're gonna love the new format. Everyone will, I'm sure of it. As of this writing just 22 players have signed on and for those who have not yet done so you best get 'er done soon. You won't want to miss this one. Here's how the excitement will unfold:

      If you are a top-8 player starting in the Platinum Division you will be in a dogfight from the get-go in order to claim one of the top six spots by lunchtime, thus avoiding relegation to the Gold Division for your afternoon games.

      The Gold Division seems to have even more intrigue with eight players battling for the top two spots and advancement to the Platinum Division for their afternoon games and at the lower end, players hoping to avoid the 7th and 8th spots which will land them in the Silver Division for their afternoon games.

      Just 6 players (so far) will make up the Silver Division but this bunch will create the same excitement as in the first two divisions as the prize here is advancement to the Gold Division for the top two players in this division.

      The second round robin will be equally as intense for the top 8 players in the Platinum pool as once again they will be vying for a top-6 spot to avoid a scary best 2 of 3 preliminary round series against one of the top two players from the Gold Division, which will quite likely be a player who began the day in the Platinum division.

      Once again procedings will be intense in the Gold division in the afternoon with the two relegated players fighting for the top two spots and a chance to win a best 2 of 3 preliminary round series in order to return to the Platinum Division for the playoffs. At the other end of this division, players will want to avoid the 7th and 8th spots and the best 2 of 3 playoff series against the top two players from the Silver division.

      And in the Silver division in the afternoon, here again we have two players who have been relegated and will be battling to win the top two spots and a chance to win their best 2 of 3 three series to earn a berth in the Gold Division playoffs. And of course, in each division, all players will be attempting to spoil these players' hopes and advance themselves.

      Because the number of players is few, and because we are offering a best 2 of 3 preliminary round series, and because Guy wishes to award A, B and C division trophies, only 8 players will play for the Platinum Cup, formerly known as the A Division, 8 will play for the Gold Cup, formerly known as the B Division and 6 will play for the Silver Cup formerly known as the C division. So, no round of 16 playoffs with this few players.(Guy has ordered the trophies already and they are likely labelled A, B and C but I plan to use this same format at Peterborough in the fall with the new names for the championship trophies - Platinum, Gold and Silver Cups.)

      Note: If you play in a best 2 of 3 preliminary round playoff series you will NOT be eliminated in this round. If you win you will join the higher division for the playoffs and if you lose you will join the lower division for the playoffs.

      Here is the list of 22 players so far (keep in mind that you could be relegated to a lower ranked division if a player who is ranked higher than you joins. Remember, this is a tentative lineup and is subject to change.

      Platinum Division
      1.Mark Sokolski
      2.Dave Kraehling
      3.Greg Peden