Re: SOKOLSKI WINS PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!

  • sabre_in_virginia
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 18, 2008
      Congratulations to all of the medal winners, participants and
      supporters of this year's Peterborough PP2 Challenge.

      Wow! I think there were three tournaments in one day, Peterborough
      (PP2) - won by Sokolski, Gatineau (Stiga) - won by Bruce Turner, and
      Hegewisch, Illinois (Munro) - won by ?.

      --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "flyindutchman45" <sidkloosterman@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark Sokolski beat Greg Peden in seven games to win the fourth
      annual
      > Peterborough PP2 Challenge Saturday. The championship is Mark's
      first
      > PP2 tourney championship since winning the 2003 Toronto Classic.
      >
      > The Sokolskinator compiled a 7-0-1 first round record then went 9-
      0-0
      > versus the top ten in the second round robin before taking on all
      > comers in the playoffs. Way to go, Markey-Mark! It's been a long
      time
      > coming.
      >
      > Young Brandon McLaughlin made it a Petawawa sweep by beating
      > Peterborough's Jared Ellis in seven games to win the B
      championship.
      > Kudos to you, Brandon! Looks like the North Pole is producing a
      great
      > crop of table hockey players!
      >
      > Dave Kraehling took the 3rd-place prize with his series win over
      Sid
      > Kloosterman while Sue Elias, for the second year in a row, won 3rd-
      in-
      > the-B honors with her series win over Dylan O'Hagan.
      >
      > Twenty-eight players took part and a great time was had by all.
      For

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
        Thanks, Dave, for the kudos about the Challenge. And I say that on
        behalf of my hard-working wife, Maggie, and helpers Karen, Eryn,
        Meghan, Kim and Mariam as well.

        As for Mark winning the championship, yeah, he'll no doubt "flap his
        yap" about it (heh, heh) but this can only be a great thing for table
        hockey as a whole. In my opinion no one has worked harder than Mark
        at promoting the game of table hockey, PP2 or otherwise. And he
        promotes it with little fanfare and cares little for recognition of
        what he does, most of it behind the scenes.

        Well, it's high time he is recognized for it. Mark's championship
        Saturday will no doubt rejuvenate his passion for the game itself and
        for his promotion of it. Many will benefit from it. So, go ahead,
        Mark, flap your yap. Ha Ha! Kudos to you!

        Also, it was a great pleasure to have met the others of the "North
        Pole" crew - Dave, Brandon and Tyler McLaughlin of Petawawa and
        Richard and Ryan Lakhan of Pembroke. These folk were enthusiastic,
        friendly, and a pleasure to host at this event. I look forward to
        meeting you again.

        As for me, well, one day you're top dog, the next day you're not. So
        it goes. But when your game is out of sync and you're feeling a step
        behind it's only a matter of time until you get clobbered in this
        game. And that was it in a nutshell for me.

        Still, I had fun playing a first-time tourney playoff series against
        my lifelong buddy, John Maxwell, then a gruelling 5-game set against
        my son, Dennis Doherty. After that I was easy pickings for Greg
        Peden. And Dave, that was a fun-filled consolation series. Congrats
        on your 3rd-place finish.

        Thanks to all who came out. I hope you had a great day!

        Cheers, Sid.

        --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, Dave Kraehling <superdave3n2@...> wrote:

        > First off Congratulations Mark on a well played tournament. It was
        about time. Now you can flap your yap about how good you are. Way to
        go.
        > Secondly Thanks to Sid for putting on another fine tournament. And
        to all of Maggie's crew for putting on the wonderful spread. The food
        was delicious as usual...
        > I had a great day despite finishing 3rd. We have a great crop of
        PP2 players in Ontario.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
          Thanks for another amazing show, Sidster!

          We had a pretty happy drive back to Petawawa - Brandon is thrilled after his amazing performance to come back and capture the B-division title.  We felt a little of that  'table hockey magic' that comes from the personal connections and comraderie of a special moment, as both of us were trailing 3 games to 2 in our respective finals ... we looked at each other in the eyes when taking a break and decided that we didn't come this far to settle for second place.  Amazingly enough, the go-to-play that I suggested to him won him game 7... BUT HE SHOWED ME THE MOVE THAT I SCORED MY FIRST 2 GOALS ON AGAINST GREG IN GAME 7!!!  I thanked him for a looooong time in the car on the way home... and we owe each other for the advice columns!

          Greg played really good! I don't think I saw a single mistake on his part.. he is truly a supreme top-level player, who can execute razor-sharp plays better than any of us.  The games I won were by playing perfect defense and getting one or two clutch goals.  Greg has made every single Toronto finals, and 3 out of 4 Peterborough finals... so HE is definitely the most consistent champion.  I feel somewhat privileged that I have my two PP2 championship final victories against Greg (each win came in a game 7).  Greg and I are now 2-2 against each other in the Finals (although he has appeared in many more finals than I).  Way to go, Peden...

          Bill Holdcroft was unreal! I don't know how this guy just never goes away when you have a series with him!!! I was getting so rattled by the old man and just squeaked out that one... hats off to ya, Bill!

          Thanks to all for the kind words...
          sokolskinator is back!

          To: ccth@yahoogroups.com
          From: sidkloosterman@...
          Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:52:47 +0000
          Subject: [ccth] SOKOLSKI WINS PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!

[...]

          Use Windows Live Messenger to send messages to your buddies on their mobile phones Find out more on our PC to Mobile website
        • Jim Rzonca
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
            CONGRATULATIONS Mark! You and Turner win. Nice day for Ontario!

            POLISH POWER!
            Jim Rzonca

            --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, m c <torontotablehockey@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for another amazing show, Sidster!
            >
            > We had a pretty happy drive back to Petawawa - Brandon is thrilled
            after his amazing performance to come back and capture the B-division
            title. We felt a little of that 'table hockey magic' that comes
            from the personal connections and comraderie of a special moment, as
            both of us were trailing 3 games to 2 in our respective finals ... we
            looked at each other in the eyes when taking a break and decided that
            we didn't come this far to settle for second place. Amazingly
            enough, the go-to-play that I suggested to him won him game 7... BUT
            HE SHOWED ME THE MOVE THAT I SCORED MY FIRST 2 GOALS ON AGAINST GREG
            IN GAME 7!!! I thanked him for a looooong time in the car on the way
            home... and we owe each other for the advice columns!

            > Greg played really good! I don't think I saw a single mistake on
            his part.. he is truly a supreme top-level player, who can execute
            razor-sharp plays better than any of us. The games I won were by
            playing perfect defense and getting one or two clutch goals. Greg
            has made every single Toronto finals, and 3 out of 4 Peterborough
            finals... so HE is definitely the most consistent champion. I feel
            somewhat privileged that I have my two PP2 championship final
            victories against Greg (each win came in a game 7). Greg and I are
            now 2-2 against each other in the Finals (although he has appeared in
            many more finals than I). Way to go, Peden...

            > Bill Holdcroft was unreal! I don't know how this guy just never
            goes away when you have a series with him!!! I was getting so rattled
            by the old man and just squeaked out that one... hats off to ya, Bill!

            > Thanks to all for the kind words...
            > sokolskinator is back!
            >

            > To: ccth@...: sidkloosterman@...: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:52:47
            +0000Subject: [ccth] SOKOLSKI WINS PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!

            > Mark Sokolski beat Greg Peden in seven games to win the fourth
            annual Peterborough PP2 Challenge Saturday. The championship is
            Mark's first PP2 tourney championship since winning the 2003 Toronto
            Classic.The Sokolskinator compiled a 7-0-1 first round record then
            went 9-0-0 versus the top ten in the second round robin before taking
            on all comers in the playoffs. Way to go, Markey-Mark! It's been a
            long time coming.Young Brandon McLaughlin made it a Petawawa sweep by
            beating Peterborough's Jared Ellis in seven games to win the B
            championship. Kudos to you, Brandon! Looks like the North Pole is
            producing a great crop of table hockey players!Dave Kraehling took
            the 3rd-place prize with his series win over Sid Kloosterman while
            Sue Elias, for the second year in a row, won 3rd-in-the-B honors with
            her series win over Dylan O'Hagan.Twenty-eight players took part and
            a great time was had by all. For tourney details visit
            www.ontariotablehockey.com.Cheers, Sid.

          • Bill H
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
              Congrats, Mark, on a well-deserved win. You played some incredible
              table hockey yesterday -- slick, creative and varied offense, tight
              defense and few mistakes. Very smart play. Greg was on, too, as he
              usually is, but I'm glad you were able to take it in 7.

              Thanks for the kind words, as well. You embarrased me in the first
              game, and the 6-0 score was not indicative of how you dominated me --
              my defense and goalie actually played pretty well. I never had the
              puck for more than a few seconds. Your puck retrieval and possession
              game were outstanding. After that I just tried to play defense and
              keep the score down and hope I could pop in a couple. I was just
              happy I could keep it close the rest of the way.

              Another great event well-organized by Maggie and Sid, with a crew of
              helpers. Too bad we only had 28 players -- too bad for the rest of
              you, I mean. We had a great group of players, a great time, great
              competition, and a great new champion!

              Bashin' Bill

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 21, 2008
                Congrates Mark, all you need now is to start kicking arsss on Coleco. :-)  Any chances we see some of the Ontario boys other than "Super" Dave in Sherbrooke on Nov 15th???? Its going to be another great HTQ produced tournament.

                PS: Super Dave will become "Supper" Dave when I'm done eating him!!!! LOL

                Come on folks from all across North America, 33 are already on board, what you waiting for?

                Peace

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Know what Carlo? I would not be surprised if Justin and I attend Gatineau, and maybe even my two new superstars - the Driscoll twins.  I have definitely let the passion fizzle away in he last few years (at least it did not die) as  I went from 9 events in 2005,to 5 events in 2006, to 2 events in 2007/08 ... almost felt it slipping away.  But that is life with kids at home...

                  with the new young players I am training, I feel a bit more 'alive' in the table hockey scene again.

                  I suspect I would like to go fly over the frenchmen in gatineau... get back to ya on tha soon. My son's first birthday is i November and we are planning the date still, so I may be tied up...

                  mark (the sokolskinator!)

                  p.s. SID - get tha ramking page changed... the #1 face shot is ugly and it scares visitors away from the site... ;)

                  To: ccth@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

                  annual Peterborough PP2 Challenge Saturday. The championship is
                  Mark's first PP2 tourney championship since winning the 2003 Toronto
                  Classic.The Sokolskinator compiled a 7-0-1 first round record then
                  went 9-0-0 versus the top ten in the second round robin before taking
                  on all comers in the playoffs. Way to go, Markey-Mark! It's been a
                  long time coming.Young Brandon McLaughlin made it a Petawawa sweep by
                  beating Peterborough' s Jared Ellis in seven games to win the B
                  championship. Kudos to you, Brandon! Looks like the North Pole is
                  producing a great crop of table hockey players!Dave Kraehling took
                  the 3rd-place prize with his series win over Sid Kloosterman while
                  Sue Elias, for the second year in a row, won 3rd-in-the-B honors with
                  her series win over Dylan O'Hagan.Twenty- eight players took part and
                  a great time was had by all. For tourney details visit

                  Upgrade to Hotmail Plus and share more photos with bigger attachments. Click here to find out how Click here to find out how
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                    Sokolskinator, it's the McLaughlin twins, not the Driscoll twins.
                    Their father, Dave, had me change their names from Driscoll to
                    McLaughlin on the schedules. That seemed very important to him.

                    Everything's set to be changed on the Ontario site. Hopefully it will
                    happen tonight. I need to get hold of Shaun to upload the pics and
                    other stuff I have. Bill has all the Challenge results from all the
                    pools and will upload those soon as well (and the rankings too, I
                    presume). As for the number-one ranked handsome player in Ontario,
                    people will now need to scroll down to the third spot to see him. Ha
                    Ha!

                    Cheers, Sid.

                    --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, m c <torontotablehockey@...> wrote:

                    > Know what Carlo? I would not be surprised if Justin and I attend
                    Gatineau, and maybe even my two new superstars - the Driscoll twins.
                    I have definitely let the passion fizzle away in he last few years
                    (at least it did not die) as I went from 9 events in 2005,to 5
                    events in 2006, to 2 events in 2007/08 ... almost felt it slipping
                    away. But that is life with kids at home...

                    > with the new young players I am training, I feel a bit more 'alive'
                    in the table hockey scene again.

                    > I suspect I would like to go fly over the frenchmen in gatineau...
                    get back to ya on tha soon. My son's first birthday is i November and
                    we are planning the date still, so I may be tied up...

                    > mark (the sokolskinator!)
                    >
                    > p.s. SID - get tha ramking page changed... the #1 face shot is ugly
                    and it scares visitors away from the site... ;)

                    > To: ccth@...: bossiocarlo@...: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:11:47 -
                    0700Subject: Re: [ccth] Re: SOKOLSKI WINS PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!

                    PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!To: ccth@...: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 2:39 PM

                    <torontotablehockey @...> wrote:>> > Thanks for another amazing show,
                    Sidster!> > We had a pretty happy drive back to Petawawa - Brandon is
                    thrilled after his amazing performance to come back and capture the B-
                    division title. We felt a little of that 'table hockey magic' that
                    comes from the personal connections and comraderie of a special
                    moment, as both of us were trailing 3 games to 2 in our respective
                    finals ... we looked at each other in the eyes when taking a break
                    and decided that we didn't come this far to settle for second place.
                    Amazingly enough, the go-to-play that I suggested to him won him game
                    7... BUT HE SHOWED ME THE MOVE THAT I SCORED MY FIRST 2 GOALS ON
                    AGAINST GREG IN GAME 7!!! I thanked him for a looooong time in the
                    car on the way home... and we owe each other for the advice columns!>
                    > Greg played really good! I don't think I saw a single mistake on
                    his part.. he is truly a supreme top-level player, who can execute
                    razor-sharp plays better than any of us. The games I won were by
                    playing perfect defense and getting one or two clutch goals. Greg has
                    made every single Toronto finals, and 3 out of 4 Peterborough
                    finals... so HE is definitely the most consistent champion. I feel
                    somewhat privileged that I have my two PP2 championship final
                    victories against Greg (each win came in a game 7). Greg and I are
                    now 2-2 against each other in the Finals (although he has appeared in
                    many more finals than I). Way to go, Peden...> > Bill Holdcroft was
                    unreal! I don't know how this guy just never goes away when you have
                    a series with him!!! I was getting so rattled by the old man and just
                    squeaked out that one... hats off to ya, Bill!> > Thanks to all for
                    the kind words...> sokolskinator is back!> > > > > > > > To: ccth@:
                    sidkloosterman@ ...: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:52:47 +0000Subject: [ccth]
                    SOKOLSKI WINS PETERBOROUGH CHALLENGE!> > > > > Mark Sokolski beat
                    _________ _>

                    > Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada
                    Messenger

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                      Well boys, as long as I see you somewhere, its al good. :-) Driscoll? As in those great Rasberries Driscoll's or not them at all? Not that it matters, just keep the fire alive, its all good.

                      PS: You are both wrong, to see the handsome pic you have to check out the number 1 yes, but on the HTQ rankings. hahahahahahahah

                      Peace

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                          Carlo, the most handsome pic I have of you is the one that was taken
                          before I clobbered you 7-2 on PP2 at Montreal! You didn't look so
                          good after that, though. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

                          Cheers, Sid.

                          --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, carlo bossio <bossiocarlo@...> wrote:

                          > Well boys, as long as I see you somewhere, its al good. :-)
                          Driscoll? As in those great Rasberries Driscoll's or not them at all?
                          Not that it matters, just keep the fire alive, its all good.

                          > PS: You are both wrong, to see the handsome pic you have to check
                          out the number 1 yes, but on the HTQ rankings. hahahahahahahah

                          > Peace

                          Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
                          http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                            Darn, I knew I should have taken a pic of you when I took my revenge in Sherbrooke. Haha

                            Who knows, I might just make a PP2 event one day!!!! Problem, I need to have an event that is within a 2 hour drive!!!!!

                            Ciao

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                              Aw, c'mon, Carlo, that game at Sherbrooke was just an exhibition
                              game. You can't count that :)

                              Hey Mark, did you read what Carlo wrote? This should mean PP2 at
                              Ottawa, don't you think? Get on the phones! Book a hall! Call the
                              press!

                              Cheers, Sid.

                              --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, carlo bossio <bossiocarlo@...> wrote:

                              > Darn, I knew I should have taken a pic of you when I took my
                              revenge in Sherbrooke. Haha

                              > Who knows, I might just make a PP2 event one day!!!! Problem, I
                              need to have an event that is within a 2 hour drive!!!!!

                              > Ciao

                              bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now at

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 22, 2008
                                2009, in Ottawa or closer I'm there. 2:00 hour drive, I'll give it a go. In the mean time, get practicing on the Coleco's boys, toughest game out there wher the competition is insane and the fun even greater then that!!!!

                                Sherbrooke Nov 15th, i beleive 33 are already signed up. No matter what skill level you are at, fun awaits you, BE THERE!!!!

                                Ciao

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 23, 2008
                                  I am looking for new venues where people might step up to start a powerplay2 event.   Ottawa would be great (just for you, bossio... haha) if anyone can pass me any names along.  However, other Ontario or Quebec locations would be great. I think I can provide some free start up games to get the thing rolling so all we need is some individual(s) who have that organizing bug in them...

                                  please let me know if you have someone in mind or if you personally could take this interest.

                                  Thanks.
                                  Mark
                                  torontotablehockey@...

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 27, 2008
                                    Greetings Table Hockey Friends...
                                    The 10th Anniversary of the Toronto Classic Table Hockey Championships is officially scheduled
                                    for Saturday, March 21, 2009.  This event will be action-packed, with lots of add-ons such as T-shirts, special prizes, open buffet table, a cash bar, DJ Skip providing music, big screen TV showing hockey and table hockey highlights from the generations, media display, TV and newspaper coverage from Toronto Media... and more to come!

                                    If you have not yet attended, please book it and make it happen this year.  Participation will be limited to 80 people and only the first 50 registered will get their table hockey Classic T-shirt!

                                    Registration details available upon request by emailing torontotablehockey@...

                                    Cheers boys!
                                    See ya on the other side...

                                    Mark Sokolski

                                    Turn email contacts into buddies, and you could win. Enter today.