My Bettman Beef

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      It's a slow news day for table hockey so here is my Gary Bettman beef.
      Is it just me or does anyone else hate the fact that NHL teams wear
      their colored jerseys at home?

      If you're, say, a Habs fan, in the past did you enjoy seeing the black
      and yellow Bruins visit? How about the red Sens? The black and orange
      Flyers? Since Bettman came up with this dumb idea of having teams wear
      their colors at home here's what you Hab fans get - the red Habs vs. a
      white team - 41 times!

      Next year the NHL will schedule more games between Eastern and Western
      conference teams. This means that we in the east can look forward to
      seeing these teams visit - the white Blackhawks, the white Wings, the
      white Canucks, the while Oilers. B-o-r-i-n-g.

      I have not read a single complaint in sports sections or heard any
      complaints on talk shows regarding this awful aspect of the "new NHL."
      It sucks, Gary Bettman! There, I feel better. :)

      Cheers, Sid.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
          I think the NHL is switching back to home whites next year. Maybe its
          every few years the switch back and forth for marketing reasons.

          Jim Rzonca
          --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "flyindutchman45" <sidkloosterman@...>
          wrote:

          > It's a slow news day for table hockey so here is my Gary Bettman
          beef.
          > Is it just me or does anyone else hate the fact that NHL teams wear
          > their colored jerseys at home?
          >
          > If you're, say, a Habs fan, in the past did you enjoy seeing the
          black
          > and yellow Bruins visit? How about the red Sens? The black and
          orange
          > Flyers? Since Bettman came up with this dumb idea of having teams
          wear
          > their colors at home here's what you Hab fans get - the red Habs
          vs. a
          > white team - 41 times!
          >
          > Next year the NHL will schedule more games between Eastern and
          Western
          > conference teams. This means that we in the east can look forward
          > seeing these teams visit - the white Blackhawks, the white Wings,
          the
          > white Canucks, the while Oilers. B-o-r-i-n-g.
          >
          > I have not read a single complaint in sports sections or heard any
          > complaints on talk shows regarding this awful aspect of the "new
          NHL."
          > It sucks, Gary Bettman! There, I feel better. :)
          >
          > Cheers, Sid.

        • dominic froome
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
            Dan Russell, a radio talk show host on CKNW98 in Vancouver, has openly been critical of this. He says the colours of the road teams add much spice to the games at home. I agree. Means the game has a new look to it every night! They'll probably reverse it again one day. I'll add that there have been some nights where the Canucks have worn blue on the road and white at home. Usually a prearranged jersey plan formulated between interdivisional opponents though. (Often when they play a home and home against one of them.)

            Johnny Canuck
            Vancouver

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
              Glad to hear at least one media-type is griping about teams wearing
              colors at home. The reason Bettman made the change is because there
              were so many teams requesting to wear their third jerseys (colored)
              at home. So Bettman, in his infininite wisdom, decided to have all
              teams wear colors at home just so he wouldn't have to accomodate all
              the requests. Talk about taking the easy way out - and further
              damaging an already damaged NHL (e.g. three-point games. But that's
              another story.)

              And who cares for third jerseys anyway? On that note, here's a good
              laugh for those how might have missed Don Cherry's rant about the
              Bruins' third jersey on Coach's Corner a while back: "You call this a
              mean-looking bear?" he bellowed. "It looks like Winnie the Pooh!"
              Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

              Cheers, Sid.

              --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, dominic froome <dominicf98@...> wrote:

              > Dan Russell, a radio talk show host on CKNW98 in Vancouver, has
              openly been critical of this. He says the colours of the road teams
              add much spice to the games at home. I agree. Means the game has a
              new look to it every night! They'll probably reverse it again one
              day. I'll add that there have been some nights where the Canucks
              have worn blue on the road and white at home. Usually a prearranged
              jersey plan formulated between interdivisional opponents though.
              (Often when they play a home and home against one of them.)

              > Johnny Canuck
              > Vancouver

              Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.