VTHL 2008-09 Rules on the Carleco/Labelle games.

  • Dominic Froome
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16, 2008
      Below are the rules that will likely be used in the VTHL 2008-09 sason on the Carleco
      game. Maybe the thoughjt of uniform rules all across North America can be a way to unite
      all organized TH in NA on the Carleco/Labelle games. Would be cool to see this. Here
      are the rules:

      VTHL RULES:

      A) 5 minute "running time" games.

      B) 5 second rule to see the puck passed or shot from one player figure to another during a
      game. Winger to winger pass, around the end boards, does not warrant a new 5 second
      possession count. (However any number of winger to winger end board passes can be
      made within the present 5 second possession count.) Also defenceman to defenceman
      passes, behind the net, do not warrant a new 5 second count. The puck must be cleared
      out as soon as the five second count is up.

      C) Most faceoffs are done in centre circle. Both centremen must be positioned completely
      outside the centre circle. Wingers are positioned completely behind your opponent's goal
      line. Defencemen are postioned completely behind your own blueline. Players can only go
      for the puck upon the puck drop landing on the playing surface. (Puck placed on the
      centre dot to start all games.) CENTRE ICE FACE OFFS start a game, follow all goals scored
      and are conducted after a puck flies out of play.

      D) A goal cannot be scored straight from a CENTRE ICE FACEOFF. Any winger must touch
      the puck before any goal can be scored from the faceoff. However, a goal can be scored
      immediately if the puck crosses either goal line or is brought over either goal line by a
      player flat.

      E) Faceoffs are also conducted in the corner circles after "dead spot" stoppage & goalie
      freezes. (Faceoff to be in the corner circle from where the puck arrived into the dead spot
      behind the goal or to the side of the net closest to where the puck ends up being frozen.)
      CORNER CIRCLE FACEOFFS are conducted with the D-man and the opposing winger
      positioned completely outside the corner circle. Both players go for the puck upon the
      puck landing on the playing surface after the puck drop. The puck must be moved to
      another player flat before a goal can be scored. These faceoffs see the player closest to the
      corner circle drop the puck.

      F) D-men are not allowed inside the goalie crease for more than one full second. It's not
      permitted to park a defenceman in the goal crease at any time. "Double defence" is not
      permitted behind the goalie but is allowed, in front of the goalie, if both defencemen are
      positioned completely outside the goal crease.

      G) Goals only count if the puck stays in the net or sits on top of the goalie controller 100%
      over the goal line. If the puck bounces out the play continues without stoppage. "Bank
      shot" goals count.

      H) Goalie can "FREEZE" the puck if the puck is completely inside the blue goal crease area,
      able to be behind the goalie & is completely stationary. The player controlling the goalie
      must say "FREEZE" to stop time and resume game with a faceoff in the corner faceoff circle
      closest to where the puck ends up frozen. The "f" sound of "freeze" is all that has to be
      heard to wipe out any goal before it is scored by the opposing centre.

      I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes unfunctional during game play. The
      ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.

      J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot repair the player flat until he has
      possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then proceeds to play the puck
      upon his opponent being ready.

      K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official puck of the VTHL. (Filled with glue
      on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)

      Johnny Canuck
      Vancouver
    • Dominic Froome
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2008
        Why does this site jumble up the lines even after you unjumble them upon posting the
        message. Yuck!

        Johnny Canuck
        Vancouver

        --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "Dominic Froome" <dominicf98@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > must say "FREEZE" to stop time and resume game with a faceoff in the corner faceoff
        circle
        > closest to where the puck ends up frozen. The "f" sound of "freeze" is all that has to be
        > heard to wipe out any goal before it is scored by the opposing centre.
        >
        > I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes unfunctional during game play. The
        > ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.
        >
        > J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot repair the player flat until he has
        > possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then proceeds to play the puck
        > upon his opponent being ready.
        >
        > K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official puck of the VTHL. (Filled with
        glue
        > on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)

      • Bill H
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
          I suspect it's because you copied this from another program (MS
          Word?), then pasted it into the forum message box. Notice Mark's
          article didn't have line breaks in the middle of sentences. Your word
          processor/whatever probably inserts line breaks. Try pasting from
          Notepad, if you're using Windows.

          I like most of your rules, except for the freezing. One of our PTHA
          members figured out last year that it makes no sense for the player
          to call freeze. The referee (assuming you have a ref) should make
          that decision; otherwise the player can call freeze when the puck is
          still moving or within reach, then claim the goal shouldn't count
          because she'd already called "freeze". This is how we do it now in
          Peterborough and Mark's Toronto Classic.

          Bashin' Bill

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
            In Quebec there is no more freeze. This way no one can say it was called to late or to early, no contreversy. If a player can tap the puck in the net and even by hitting on the goalie, its a goal. You can always try to play the puck out at your risk. Only if the puck is behind the goalie and no one can reach it can the play be stopped and the puck is given to the winger. So if someone calls time, whether it be the player, the ref or even God himself and the puck goes in, its a goal.

          • aj5380
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
              Guys,
              No offense intended but the FREEZE rule is a great rule when applied
              correctly. When there is a Referee this is ususally never a
              problem. We have been very clear in when a freeze can or cannot be
              called in the SCTHL and so has the CTHL and MHL for 20 years in
              Chicago. It just takes a little bit of sportsmanship to make it
              work. There have been many times when I have suggested my opponent
              call the freeze rather that let me whack the goalie to kingdom come
              to claim a cheap goal.

              In these modern times the spirit of sportmanship is something we
              could use a lot more of.

              P.S. it is my strong opinion that dead zone pucks, frozen pucks, or
              pucks that are behing the goalie that can't be reached should go to
              the defenseman and not to the winger. At least give the goalie a
              chance to try clearing the puck via the defense!

              And if you insist on the D-zone faceoff, then let the attacking
              player drop the puck - why should the defense play with one hand?
              Conversely do not allow goals from the D-zone face off unless it
              touches another player.
              Come and see how we play the Coleco game at the SCTHL - we don't
              have D-zone faceoffs!

              ..aj5380
              --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, carlo bossio <bossiocarlo@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > centre.
              > > >
              > > > I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes
              unfunctional
              > during game play. The
              > > > ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.
              > > >
              > > > J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot
              repair
              > the player flat until he has
              > > > possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then
              > proceeds to play the puck
              > > > upon his opponent being ready.
              > > >
              > > > K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official
              puck
              > of the VTHL. (Filled with
              > > glue
              > > > on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)
              > > >
              > > > Johnny Canuck
              > > > Vancouver
              > > >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go

            • aj5380
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
                Guys,
> [...]

                > centre.
                > > >
                > > > I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes
                unfunctional
                > during game play. The
                > > > ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.
                > > >
                > > > J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot
                repair
                > the player flat until he has
                > > > possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then
                > proceeds to play the puck
                > > > upon his opponent being ready.
                > > >
                > > > K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official
                puck
                > of the VTHL. (Filled with
                > > glue
                > > > on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)
                > > >
                > > > Johnny Canuck
                > > > Vancouver
                > > >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go

              • aj5380
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
                  Guys,

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
                    Well, it is kind of a freeze if you will. When the center cannot touch the puck at all, then ya, say freeze. If the guy can touch the puck we feel the goal should count. This will completly eliminate any jugement calls which is always a pain in the you know where. :-)

                    About the wacking the goalie to make the puck drop. that's a no brainer, get your goalie out of the way, if the puck is behind the goalie enough, well the centerman will not be able to wack it in.

                    As for dead zone games, I to felt it should go to the defensemen and not the opposing forward to resemble more the no dead zone games but got over ruled 2-1. The defending side had as reasoning that most of the time the puck was lost behind the net by the defenseman and not the opposing team.

                    Anyways either way is okay I guess. Ofcourse the best soloution is to get one of our great games. :-)

                  • Dave Kraehling
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
                      I have to agree with AJ on this one. I have played table hockey for more than 40 years and I have seen alot of changes in the last little while. The spirit of the game is being twisted and contorted to the point now that it isn't a game of skill anymore.
                      First of lets go back to basics...
                      I believe that table hockey was to mirror the NHL in a mini form.
                      On this premise, when a freeze is called by either the referee or the defending player a face-off ensues not the puck being passed off to a winger. Why should the defender be penalized for making a save that stopped a goal from happening?
                      Also when a freeze is called, yes you can hack at the goalie from side to side but not straight on in a stabbing motion until the referee calls the play dead. We used to use the 2 second rule for freezes if the puck fell in the net before the referee called time the goal counted. It was up to the defender to protect the puck from going in the net until the (whistle blew sort of speak).

                      With the new center face off rule, pucks should not be passed off to wingers anymore. Why not give the defenseman the puck when there is a dead zone behind the net. This whole idea of physically manipulating a puck on the playing surface durring a game rather than contesting for it via a face off is really taking away from the game. What ever happened to old fasion playing table hockey with out all the hand in the game interference.

                      With all the changes in the last year to so call " Improve the game" we have lost alot of the flare that true table hockey really poccesses. I see why some people are becoming disullussioned or have left the game. To much bullshit going on.

                      I'm going to touch another sticky topic right now as well and I hope someone out there will listen for what I'm trying to say and not that I'm complaining or starting something.

                      In PP2 the 5 second rule applies from winger to winger becase a defenseman cannot intecept or break up a play, therefore we need the five second rule otherwise players could stall uncontested.
                      How ever in Coleco, the 5 second rule should apply to each individual piece (player) as any part of the game can be intercepted whether I pass the puck across the front of the net or behind the net, there is no difference. This rule should be revised to reflect this.
                      Dave

                    • sabre virginia
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
                        In our old league, which was designed to mirror the NHL, the player had to call "freeze." I forget how many seconds we gave after that but no more than five I'm sure. The puck was then faced off to the defensive circle on the side it was frozen. Same for pucks behind the net. Incidentally, the dot in that defensive circle is not the halfway point between both players sticks, so we dropped the puck on the inside edge of the dot. You can verify this by turning the winger and defenseman's sticks against each other and you'll see I am correct. 1974 we figured that out.

                        Similarly, if the puck went out of either end, we faced the puck off in that end. Why should the offense have put the pressure on only to lose having the puck in that zone? But, today we move the face off out to the center circle. Obviously, I disagree with that.

                        Finally, before we get into the question about goals off the face-off when in one end or the other, when the face off is in your opponent's end at either circle by the net, there is a way to place your defensemen to prevent either a direct goal off the faceoff or a richochet off the opposite wall and into your net.

                        Greg

                        aj5380 <aj5380@yahoo. com> wrote:
> [...]

                        > centre.
                        > > >
                        > > > I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes
                        unfunctional
                        > during game play. The
                        > > > ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.
                        > > >
                        > > > J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot
                        repair
                        > the player flat until he has
                        > > > possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then
                        > proceeds to play the puck
                        > > > upon his opponent being ready.
                        > > >
                        > > > K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official
                        puck
                        > of the VTHL. (Filled with
                        > > glue
                        > > > on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)
                        > > >
                        > > > Johnny Canuck
                        > > > Vancouver
                        > > >

                        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go

                      • Dominic Froome
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                          I'm using an old Macintosh computer. It jumbled up a direct post as well. I did copy and
                          paste the rules from a word document on the Mac though. Thanks for the response. The
                          words are still the same but it sure loses it's edge when the lines are jumbled. It's up to
                          me to adapt to the situation. Hope all is well with you!

                          Dominic

                          --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "Bill H" <bashin.bill@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > the corner faceoff
                          > > circle
                          > > > closest to where the puck ends up frozen. The "f" sound
                          > of "freeze" is all that has to be
                          > > > heard to wipe out any goal before it is scored by the opposing
                          > centre.
                          > > >
                          > > > I) Play is stopped if a goalie is broken or becomes unfunctional
                          > during game play. The
                          > > > ensueing faceoff is located in the centre circle.
                          > > >
                          > > > J) If a player flat falls off a peg then a player cannot repair
                          > the player flat until he has
                          > > > possession of the puck. Once the repair is made player then
                          > proceeds to play the puck
                          > > > upon his opponent being ready.
                          > > >
                          > > > K) The stock (filled) "Powerplay Two" puck is the official puck
                          > of the VTHL. (Filled with
                          > > glue
                          > > > on both sides to fill up the hollowness.)

                        • Bill H
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 19, 2008
                            Thanks for the reply, Dominic. I¡¦m trying this as a copy and paste
                            from MS Word (on a Windows machine) ¡V we¡¦ll see how it turns out.
                            Sorry, I know nothing about Macs, except that they¡¦re supposed to be
                            better ¡V but I have only ever had to support PC¡¦s (not so much
                            anymore) so that¡¦s just what I know about. I don¡¦t want to start
                            another battle, Macs vs PC¡¦s; it¡¦s bad enough with the PP2 vc Coleco
                            debate! ƒº (that was a smiley in Word; I¡¦m not sure how it¡¦s going to
                            translate)

                            Bashin¡¦ Bill