Scientific Anaylsis - (Formatted I hope) - Lete the debate begin

  • aj5380
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005
      Copyright 2005 aj5380

      GAME CONTESTED SOLO TOT. CONT. SOLO. GAME GAME
      AREA AREA AREA AREA AREA LENGTH WIDTH

      COL 5380 66% 34% 638 420 218 34 19
      IRW PP2 54% 46% 504 274 230 32.5 15.75
      COL 5340 41% 59% 694 282 412 34.5 20.5
      STI EG 29% 71% 556 164 392 32.5 17.75

      Only one criteria:

      How much of the ice surface is contested space, that is, where 2
      players can get to the puck?

      vs.

      How much of the ice surface is solo space, that is, only one player
      can get to the puck and the other player can do nothing but wait.

      Let the debate begin. All measurements in inches. +/- 5% margin of
      error.

      regards,

      aj5380
    • Martin Labelle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2005
        That's probably the reason why this game is the most popular ever and
        there's still a lot of people playing on it today! (4 tournaments)
        The patern have been produced for more then 25 years! (not including
        my mini-production :-)

        Good job Ajiit!

        What we can argue with is the creteria. Contested area is VERY
        important but also the number of possible plays. 5380 isn't bad on
        this but not the best. This is the cost of tight checking but it's
        easier for novice player to play strong player without being
        destroyed. That's an important quality of the 5380, being a good
        compromise between checking and play possibility and being easy to
        master quickly!

        Overall... 5380 is best!

        When I'll be done with the replica production I want to do my own
        slot pattern design inspired by 5380 but with increased range (longer
        slot). This will result in increase possibility and also even more
        contested area!
        Stay tune...

        Martin

        --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "aj5380" <aj5380@y...> wrote:
        > Copyright 2005 aj5380
        >
        > GAME CONTESTED SOLO TOT. CONT. SOLO. GAME GAME
        > AREA AREA AREA AREA AREA LENGTH WIDTH
        >
        > COL 5380 66% 34% 638 420 218 34 19
        > IRW PP2 54% 46% 504 274 230 32.5 15.75
        > COL 5340 41% 59% 694 282 412 34.5 20.5
        > STI EG 29% 71% 556 164 392 32.5 17.75
        >
        > Only one criteria:
        >
        > How much of the ice surface is contested space, that is, where 2
        > players can get to the puck?
        >
        > vs.
        >
        > How much of the ice surface is solo space, that is, only one player
        > can get to the puck and the other player can do nothing but wait.
        >
        > Let the debate begin. All measurements in inches. +/- 5% margin of
        > error.
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > aj5380
      • Ben
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2005
          Really like your point about the 5380. By the way, the prototype is
          almost done concerning my game (sorry Martin, i didn't tell you about
          it because i'm very busy with baseball coaching..) but if things
          going well, you'll see this prototype for the august tournament... if
          i'm invited of course.

          flickhockey@...

        • Alain Gagnon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2005
            Allo Martin,

            The famous S shape defensemen slot pattern of the #5380, was first
            designed and offered to public as early as 1963. Yes 1963 was the
            year of its creation by Eagle Toys. It was then called the STANLEY
            CUP 1963.

            Eagle Toys had even adressed sucessfully the dead spot behind the
            net. They designed a double-angle "ski jump" giving back the puck
            either to the left D man or the right D man. Gravity was and still
            is the best solution to solve this problem.

            When Coleco took the business in 1968 that absolutly needed and
            bright asset (the double-angle-ski-jump) disapeared for narrow-
            sigthed-cheap-cost-saving reasons. In fact Coleco never developped
            anything original as they cheaply used, with less quality, what
            Eagle Toys had designed many years before being bought. Not a single
            original slot pattern design.

            So Martin the famous #5380 has been running for a good 42 years not
            25 years.

            Best regards,

            Alain Gagnon