Tournament Year in Review

  • Dave Kraehling
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
      Since everyone is giving their account of the last few tornaments, I thought it would only be fitting that I give my account of this year...
      At the beginning of 2007 Eve and I had planned to attend the Las Vegas tournament only.
      HA !
      What started out as a one off, turned out to be 9 offs. Vegas in January was a pleasent surprise as I thought the weather would be somewhat cold. Instead Vegas was very spring like. My purpose there was to attend AJ's Coleco Classic. But then Jim Rzonka made it worth my while by challenging me to try his Stiga event. Not one to like Stiga as there is really no checking involved, I gave it a shot. I will admit that I now am considering more Stiga tournaments with the mentoring of my friend Bernie....
      Coleco tournament #1 was a success with the 7 game final against my latest rival Lou Marinoff.. As in all tournaments I do love the challenge that Dr.Lou presents when he is an opponent.
      In March I attended Mark Sokolski's "Toronto Classic". Not thinking that I would win, as the competition was very strong with the likes of Greg Peden, Mark Sokoski, Justin Hawthorn, and the Maker Bros.,Sid Kloosterman as well as my old friend Merv Reutlinger and many more and too many to mention.
      A story within a story. 2 nights before the tournament I had Greg and Merv over to my place for a practice session. Both men kicked my butt that night but when we were finished I assured them that I was ready for the competition. The following day Greg called me and we talked about who was going to win the tournament and who would be able to beat him as he was at the top of his game. He asked me a fatal question as to who I thought was going to win. I responded by telling him he wasn't going to win. He got abit aggitated by my answer and called me out as to who could possibly beat him. I jokingly said " who knows, maybe it would be me... and we chuckled and left it at that... Little did we know that I had actually predicted the out come of that tournament.
      In April, I ventured upto Brampton to participate in the Brampton tournament, I looked forward to this particular tournament as I like the venue presented. This year however was not to be my year as Martin Labelle decide to showcase his command of the 5380 game. Martin destroyed the competition that day and I had to settle for third.
      Now May and Quebec City leaves a sour taste in my mouth this year. As everyone knows I was ROBBED of a new system that was not clearly defined.
      Quebec City saw the emergence of the now used playoff system that ranks all players as you compete to the finish.
      I want to set the record straight, I like the new system as it is used now. But that doesn't correct the Quebec situation.
      Although many people have told me that I was miss treated in this situation no one has had the parts to correct it.
      That's all I have to say about that ..it is over...
      By the way I still was only awarded 5th place.
      This year was a tounament filled year.
      In June, I participated in Sid's 1st of 2 tournaments, the newly created "Oshawa Open". The result of that tournament was not one of my better performances. as I played the tourny on 4 hrs sleep and as a result could only muster an 9th place finish.
      Now everyone knew I was going to Chicago to compete in Jim Rzonka's USA open at the end of July. And until I heard that Patrick Cote was going I was the shoe in to win. But even though Patrick travelled 21 hrs by bus to Chicago, I thought for sure he would be too tired and would crumble under my attack...not so, he toyed with me giving me a false sense of victory before he gained his second wind and came back to snatch victory right out from underneath me...I ended up second.
      The next day I again attempted a Stiga tournament and the competition was fierce. The players however were great to play against and chat about the game of Stiga. I did however acheive a few goals in the tourament, like competing in the round of sixteen and only my second Stiga tournament. I will also say I loved playing Rob Chargo (he beat me two straight) but I definitely got under his skin with my psycho-babel. I will definitely play in more Stiga tournaments in the future.
      August- BREAK TIME-whew...
      Now September was an incredibly busy month for table hockey.
      Ready for this...
      Sept. 8/07 New York-3rd
      Sept. 15/07 Peterborough Classic- 8th
      Sept. 22/07 Montreal aw forget about that one OK.... I will, 17th ouch ("B" Champ)
      Oct.BREAK - whew.... Oh I forgot my Artizan Season Started...
      Which brings us to Nov.10th/07 Final touranment of the year...
      Sherbrooke...
      Boy did I have something to prove...
      Although Carlo won, I am glad that I could put any doubt that anybody had about my Montreal performance behind me.
      I want to appologize to anyone who might have felt like I was possessed. as I did have a point to prove.
      Jr. you fell victim to my goalie in the last 2 games. Martin, you were right, the only time it seems I can beat you is on your home turf. As for Carlo, not much to say, you were the better player in the end. Congratulation my friend.

      In closing I have this to say about this year....

      11 tournaments, 2-1st, 2-2nds, 1 3rd, 1-5th, 1-8th, 1-9th, 1-17th, Stiga, 1-13th and 1-16th
      3 States and 2 Provinces
      A ton of tablehockey
      Many new friends
      one- lost in New York
      = Priceless memories and a ton of hardware...
      Thanks to all for putting up with my Green outfits and my table talk, I had a great year.
      Dave Kraehling

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
        Wow, Dave, that's an impressive list of tourneys! You mentioned that
        you joined an Artisan league but failed to mention that you also
        joined the PTHA! If you forgot, we're playing this Sunday. LoL. And
        by the way, you're in first place.

        Cheers, Sid.

        --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, Dave Kraehling <superdave3n2@...> wrote:

> [...]
        possessed. as I did have a point to prove.
        > Jr. you fell victim to my goalie in the last 2 games. Martin, you
        were right, the only time it seems I can beat you is on your home
        turf. As for Carlo, not much to say, you were the better player in
        the end. Congratulation my friend.

        > In closing I have this to say about this year....
        >
        > 11 tournaments, 2-1st, 2-2nds, 1 3rd, 1-5th, 1-8th, 1-9th, 1-
        17th, Stiga, 1-13th and 1-16th
        > 3 States and 2 Provinces
        > A ton of tablehockey
        > Many new friends
        > one- lost in New York
        > = Priceless memories and a ton of hardware...
        > Thanks to all for putting up with my Green outfits and my table
        talk, I had a great year.
        > Dave Kraehling
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
        Yahoo! Answers.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007

          My year was made complete by making the A POOL in a Quebec tourney... and even better was seeing an old friend of mine win his first tournament!

          mark

          To: ccth@yahoogroups.com
          From: sidkloosterman@...
          Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:09:14 +0000
          Subject: [ccth] Re: Tournament Year in Review

> [...]

          possessed. as I did have a point to prove.
          > Jr. you fell victim to my goalie in the last 2 games. Martin, you
          were right, the only time it seems I can beat you is on your home
          turf. As for Carlo, not much to say, you were the better player in
          the end. Congratulation my friend.

          > In closing I have this to say about this year....
          >
          > 11 tournaments, 2-1st, 2-2nds, 1 3rd, 1-5th, 1-8th, 1-9th, 1-
          17th, Stiga, 1-13th and 1-16th
          > 3 States and 2 Provinces
          > A ton of tablehockey
          > Many new friends
          > one- lost in New York
          > = Priceless memories and a ton of hardware...
          > Thanks to all for putting up with my Green outfits and my table
          talk, I had a great year.
          > Dave Kraehling
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to

          Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free today!
        • Dave Kraehling
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
            Hey Sid, There was a couple of other things I failed to mention so I will mention them now.
            1) I want to say thank You to all the Tournament organizers.
            Jim Rzonka, A J Sarma, Mark Sokolski, Peter Moulton, Sid Kloosterman, Burt Brassard, John Power, Carlo Bossio, Martin Labelle.
            All of you fine gentlemen put allot of hard work and effort into staging these events and you really don't get the recognition you guys deserve.
            So I am but one voice and I am proud to say THANK YOU to all of your hard work and efforts.
            As for you Sid you are right I also joined the PTHA.
            Sorry for not acknowledging your league.
            I won't be up yhis weekend but I will be up the following weekend (Nov. 25/07)
            Dave

            flyindutchman45 <sidkloosterman@...> wrote:
> [...]

            possessed. as I did have a point to prove.
            > Jr. you fell victim to my goalie in the last 2 games. Martin, you
            were right, the only time it seems I can beat you is on your home
            turf. As for Carlo, not much to say, you were the better player in
            the end. Congratulation my friend.

            > In closing I have this to say about this year....
            >
            > 11 tournaments, 2-1st, 2-2nds, 1 3rd, 1-5th, 1-8th, 1-9th, 1-
            17th, Stiga, 1-13th and 1-16th
            > 3 States and 2 Provinces
            > A ton of tablehockey
            > Many new friends
            > one- lost in New York
            > = Priceless memories and a ton of hardware...
            > Thanks to all for putting up with my Green outfits and my table
            talk, I had a great year.
            > Dave Kraehling

            > Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to

            Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
              Lets not forget Denis Begin who is a huge help beeing co-organizer in Quebec, part of the trio of Hockey Sur Table Quebec and the official Ref of all tournament finals and this for all 3 divisions!!!! Now that's detication.